Do you drive your Stude to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you drive your Stude to work?

Many years ago I decided to never drive anything but Studebakers. The cars are just too good to bother with anything else.

I wore out my Grandfathers Lark VI in the snow and salt. Replaced it with a Lark convertible. Imagine what the central PA winters did to that. For ten years drove a '53 Commander coupe winter and summer. The grace that saved it was I was provided a company car; a four cylinder Corsica. STOP LAUGHING ! I parked the '53 for a long, long time.

When the job changed and I again needed to provide my own transportation, instead of putting the '53 back on the road, I decided to find a nice plain jane Lark. Instead I bought a '63 Cruiser. Then a '51 Commander Starlight, then a '33 Rockne.

Long story short: I happened on a few desirable models; the limit of my budget. It's my choice to not drive them when it's nasty. My fifteen-year-old S10 is perfect for my daily purpose, however; unlike our friends in Oklahoma, the weather here this week has been absolutely perfect and I have taken the opportunity to drive all three of my extant Studes to work, to the super market and even to run errands for my job.

How many perfect days do we leave our "precious" sit in the garage because we are only going to work? Do they give us more joy sitting unused? Does the public appreciate them more...unseen?

I was once told, when you greet St.Peter, your one regret will not be that you did not spend more time at the office. I believe the second regret should not be that you spent less time sharing what you love.

Drive!
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

I drive my 64 Cruiser every day and everywhere! I have had everything from "are you the original owner" (10 yrs old when made, so no), to people telling me it should only be your Sunday driver not daily.

I have driven a Studebaker to work my whole career, 30 yrs and don't plan on stopping now!

Bullet

Comment

Copy that, Mark! Don't suppose road salt is much of an issue in Thousand Oaks.
      Brad Johnson,
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The '63 is temporarily out of commission until I have time to fix a couple things on it, but as soon as I get those things going, I'll go back to driving it everywhere for everything. They weren't built to be put on a shelf and stared at, after all!

Ultimately, the dream is to have a small flock of Studebakers, so I can have a circulation of driving one while I work on improving another, then rotate and repeat. But that's still a few dozen baby steps away.

I will say one thing for sure. The first time I drove a Stude I fell in love with it, and having gone all this time away from mine is driving me batty! Hopefully next week I'll have time to work on mine, and maybe call on a couple friends in the club to assist if they're free.
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I drove ours into work today. There were a couple of people at work who hadn't seen it yet and I wanted to show them. I *didn't* drive it later in the day to pick up shovels, rakes and boxes of supplies for the illegal dumping cleanup I'm helping with next week. I switched cars with my wife at her work so I could pile that crap in the Trooper. Depending on where the dump site is located though, I may decide to drive the supplies to it next Saturday, road condition depending.

We had a 91 GMC Suburban for 8 years. Put an average of 2500 miles a year on it, so that's what the Lark takes the place of in our household, backup car, winter mobile for me when it's too iffy with snow for me to bicycle to work, but other than driving it on a weekend now to keep it supple and a regular round of regional car shows probably; Hot August Nights it will be driven regularly throughout.

I only have a 12 mile round trip commute, my wife's commute is 6 miles R/T. I'd rather drive it once on the weekend and get it good and warmed up and run, than regularly drive it such a short distance. It'll get trips to work though occasionally. I do want the car seen out and about.

Comment

I will when I get one done...
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I don't drive mine every day but I drove it to work today.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

That's my point, Chris. Bringing them out only for parades and club activities defeats our own passion. It renders us elite and effete; not the sort of folk John Studebaker would want to associate with.
                Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes, to work. Yes, to play. Yes, to the store. We are lucky to live way out west where they do not salt the roads, so we can drive 'em 365 days a year. And we do. I sold my last brand X in 1972, and sold my wife's brand X in about 1976. We have owned and driven nothing but Studes ever since. So, it's either drive a Studebaker .... or walk!

Larry

Comment

You really need to check on your insurance coverage. If you have antique auto insurance, most insurers prohibit driving your vintage car to work. If you have regular auto insurance, then it's a moot point.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I drive my '61 Champ truck to work every day. However, on some days I switch hit and drive either my '62 Lark or my '50 Commander Regal Deluxe. The kids at the school where I work just love these old vehicles and it is not unusual to look out my office window and see several kids and adults walking around admiring whatever I drove that day. Now, if I could just get the kids interested in owning a Studebaker when they get old enough to drive and joining the SDC. That would make my day.

Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                        You really need to check on your insurance coverage. If you have antique auto insurance, most insurers prohibit driving your vintage car to work. If you have regular auto insurance, then it's a moot point.
                        Rog
                        Excellent point on the insurance! I do not work these days, but when I did I would drive my 53 to work on occasion, but certainly not every day. It is my "fun" car and I love to drive it, but every day use would make it difficult for me to maintain in the manner that I want to. Once my Conestoga is road worthy I do plan to drive it for utilitarian type use and I am building it with that use in mind. My 53 does get driven, over 28,000 miles since I got it in 2003 so it is definitely not a garage or trailer queen.
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

That's one of the reasons I went with regular insurance. When I looked into antique/collector auto insurance I realized it would never work for someone who drove his car every day.

Sure, regular insurance costs a bit more, but it's still not that bad, depending on what you have as a carrier.
                          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I don't drive mine to work because I have a company vehicle. However, I do drive them any chance I can get. Since I got the Champ, I use it for all sorts of errands. Winters in Illinois are very nasty, so my two Studes are dormant then.
                            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

The reason I've got a Studebaker is to DRIVE it ! ! ! ...& preferably NOTHING else!
                              That's really it for me.Click image for larger version

Name:	old & happy!.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1679952Click image for larger version

Name:	old & happy!.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1679952
                              Last edited by Noxnabaker; 05-03-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X