Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milaca
    replied
    I drove my '62 Hawk to work yesterday and today. First two consecutive dry days I have seen here in a long time.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    I wish "all the other stuff" wouldn't come between, Josephine will probably be on the road just in time for the 1:st snow coming winter...

But I'll be driving her anyway!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	out in snow.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1680279

...well-greased under.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    I am now retired. I worked for over twenty five years in industrial sales. My customers included large corporations and smaller Mom & Pop manufacturers and machine shops. I dealt with corporate upper management down to shop foremen and line supervisors. A few times I had a company vehicle. Due to carrying demo equipment, I most often used a truck. You certainly wouldn't want to haul spray equipment, pumps, and containers of solvent, paint, or other chemicals around in your nice Studebaker. However, I often used my Studebakers strategically as a way of "door-openers," and "conversation starters."

It is amazing to me how folks who ordinarily wouldn't give you a minute of their day...will take the time to talk cars. I think I have posted in the past about how many times I was turned away from BMW's temporary headquarters when they were in the "Planing phase" of their new assembly plant here in S.C. One morning, I had decided to drive my '51 Land Cruiser to make some local sales calls. Once again, I attempted to get beyond the receptionist. Once again, I was turned away. As I was leaving, I met a fellow on the elevator. He walked with me as we exited the building and made our way to the parking lot. When we got to my car...he said, "This yours? This is why I came out here. I love this thing!" I proceeded to show him the car. He noticed my literature and catalogs I had piled up in the front and back seats. Turns out...he was the main Project Manager for the BMW operation! I spent the rest of the day in the upper floors of that building with him, other engineers from BMW and the construction company looking over blueprints and discussing where we could provide products and services.

I had several experiences, over the years, where one of my vehicles got my foot in the door when normal avenues did not work. You have to be careful though...there are some people who will always look at old cars as just that...an old car. To these folks, you better have something to offer that will make their day go better. Otherwise, the old car is just an irritating distraction.

Leave a comment:

• 57pack
    replied
    Don"t drive my Studebaker or Packard to work, wish I could though. Mine are both apart at the moment. Was a time I drove a 1964 Commander to work 50 miles each way. It was a great ride everyday.

Leave a comment:

• JimC
    replied
    Hey, mild climate or not, driving it every day is pretty cool

Leave a comment:

• erniebrown
    replied
    Thought I would share this with South Lompoc. . . I graduated from High School in California. . .my wife is from Madera. . .and my dad was military. . .here is the hook just for you. . .we may not have cold weather like some but we sure do have our weather. . .can you say. . .Tornado. . .

Name:	studebakerafter.5.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1680278 . . . .

So I drive mine all I can. . .because you never know. . .when it might happen again. . .I have restored this one. . .TWICE and if it happens again. . .I will do it again. . love me some SISTAH STUDEBAKER. . .her first name is Lucille. . .but she doesn't know you. . smile. . .DRIVE ON and be PROUD. . .not everyone can have the pleasure of doing that. . .not even me. . .we do have about 5 months of stressful, mostly not able to drive my car weather. . . I may of fudged it a bit in my previous post. . .
    Last edited by erniebrown; 06-11-2013, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Commander Eddie
    replied
    Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
    I've been hesitant to say that I drive my 55 President daily.
    In the recent past I was ridiculed on this site for living in Lompoc, Ca.[mild weather, no snow, etc]
    I thought that only people who live in parts of the country where it's cold or wet or both are allowed to boast.
    But I see others here who live in mild climates boasting so,
    Yeah I drive my 55 Stude daily.
    I figure, You can't be mad driving a Studebaker.
    Good for you! I used to live in Santa Barbara and the weather around there is wonderful (when it's not s**t faced HOT). And you have Pea Soup Anderson's too boot. Great place to tool around in a nice shiny Studebaker.

Leave a comment:

• 55 56 PREZ 4D
    replied
    I've been hesitant to say that I drive my 55 President daily.
    In the recent past I was ridiculed on this site for living in Lompoc, Ca.[mild weather, no snow, etc]
    I thought that only people who live in parts of the country where it's cold or wet or both are allowed to boast.
    But I see others here who live in mild climates boasting so,
    Yeah I drive my 55 Stude daily.
    I figure, You can't be mad driving a Studebaker.

Leave a comment:

• erniebrown
    replied
    I am fortunate, that I can drive my car most days between March and November, the only reason I dont drive it the other days, is that it rains a bunch in Alabama during the winter. . .and sometimes we get a snow and ice. . .but I look for opportunities to drive my car. . .it is a driver, it isnt original. . .well the motor and body are. . .but the interior has been customized for my own pleasure. . .those who have seen my car. . .know it. . .that hounds tooth check makes it unique. . .so to speak. . .

Name:	ArkansasHighway.Harrison.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1680276 Click image for larger version

Name:	Backseat.new.interior.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1680275

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    Actually I work on it just to drive it. cheers jimmijim

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by Spannerbird View Post
    ... it wasn't an official show, but there are something like 50-100 cars there every week when in Spring and Summer months.
    That should be a recognized "cruise-in" and covered. If you should keep them in storage until the "sanctioned" meet arrives, none would ever be driven or shown anywhere. You must give them some exercise if you are to take them to the sanctioned meets or parades. Schwarzenegger didn't become Mr.Universe by sitting at home eating -Dazs.
    Last edited by rockne10; 05-31-2013, 07:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Spannerbird
    replied
    In Colorado even with collectour plates, there are no restrictions on driving. I could drive my 67 Ranchero everyday if I wanted. I just happen to have Grundy insurance for it, and it restricts you in coverage from driving for errands or work/school, not so much driving for fun, say if it's just a nice day or you want to go on a joy ride, they say have fun. If it's to work, school or anything like that, you legally have insurance through them in case you get into an accident, or pulled over, but they won't cover you.

Somehow I don't think that police will believe you when you say a car show at work on a Friday afternoon. Unless the officer themselves is into cars then they might. I spoke with a woman at Grundy a year ago and told her about an unofficial after [most people work] hours and was honest and told her it wasn't an official show, but there are something like 50-100 cars there every week when in Spring and Summer months. She said that was perfectly fine, as long as it's a car show. I don't know what their definition of a car show is, but I imagine 5-10 cars could be considered a show. That's a very grey area.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by aenthal View Post
    I can't drive mine to work....1952 style brakes is a white knuckle experience.
    It is the design of them versus long, steep mountain sides.
    Andrea, it's not necessary to go discs to improve your safety. We all know the brakes installed through 1954 were inadequate for the weight of the car, whether it was Champion or Commander. The good news is, all later drum brakes bolted on with no alteration. If you can find a donor, especially from a V8, exchange the complete backing plate to hub assemblies and realize a world of difference.
    Do note that the front V8 shoes are no longer available and will need to be relined. I replaced the assemblies on my '51 with '61 and on the '53 with '63. The '61 brakes are not self adjusting and just need a tweak each time it's in the air for lubrication. Other than the finned drums on the later model--which you can't see anyway--No harm; no foul.

Leave a comment:

• JimC
    replied
    Originally posted by Timj View Post
    I drive mine every day , rain or shine, leaks and all. I was just pointed out today at the coffee machine, "the Studebaker guy". As long as the rods stay in the block for the less than 10 miles a day commute, I will keep driving her.
    That's awesome!

I'll admit that rain doesn't bug me either, as the guys in the local chapter will attest to. However, we've had threat of hail every day for about the last week, and since my garage is about a mile and a half from where I live, I sadly haven't taken it out much this week. Hopefully next week we'll be back in business!

Leave a comment:

• Timj
    replied
    I drive mine every day , rain or shine, leaks and all. I was just pointed out today at the coffee machine, "the Studebaker guy". As long as the rods stay in the block for the less than 10 miles a day commute, I will keep driving her.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X