No announcement yet.

Do you drive your Stude to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the insurance question, Grundy now offers insurance for daily drivers. Their rates are better than regular insurance. The only down side is you need to insure at least 3 vehicles with them in order to qualify. That is what I did and I save several hundred dollars a year. And the coverage is better.

Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I work from home, so yes

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
        You really need to check on your insurance coverage. If you have antique auto insurance, most insurers prohibit driving your vintage car to work. If you have regular auto insurance, then it's a moot point.
        Rog
        This is my problem along with the fact that you cannot drive a car with Collector plates (in BC) to work or school ever - so from both an insurance and a licensing standpoint, my Stude never gets to go to "work".
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander
        Zone Coordinator
        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I drive my 3E11 to town or our local truck stop (3 miles) most everyday, the truck always draws a crowd. Good for keeping the Studebaker name out there.

Comment

I drive My '83 Avanti to work.....Chevy powered Avantis are pretty easy to deal with on an everyday basis. (Fuel pump quits?...Hello Auto Zone!)

Comment

Dont really drive my T cab to work but more like FOR work...

My 63 Champ is my everyday parts shagger and delivery pickup.. I figure its bad advertising for a repair shop to have a new vehicle. I also get to tell complaining customers that
              "You drive a newer vehicle than I do!!" So pay up. haha DMc

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
                ... you cannot drive a car with Collector plates (in BC) to work or school ever ...
                I would have an issue with this. Many of us put a lot of reconstruction in to our buggies. I'm not about to take it out to a show, parade, weekend tour or International Meet unless I have had the opportunity to put it through a couple dozen everyday driving exercises.
                We are fortunate in Pennsylvania that an antique plate still permits you to drive for your own personal pleasure one day a week. How many officers are monitoring your daily driving habits? The insurance coverage is really a separate issue and will vary from company to company and, perhaps, from agent to agent, just as antique or classic laws vary from state to state. I pay for agreed value with State Farm. My agent has no problem with occasional daily transportation. Indeed, there have been times when my daily brand X has needed to be in the shop for a few days, weeks. I always let my agent know I will need transportation to and from work, and whatever other trips life necessitates. He/she has never advised me to rent a car. They say, instead, "you're covered."
                And, YES! The police officer who takes the trouble to notice I have driven more than one day a week could rightfully cite me, with all due respect, they have less knowledge of this law than I do.
                Park your classic in the company lot for eight to fourteen hours. It will be appreciated.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Not Yet,...
                  But I'm counting down the days!!!

Dean.

Comment

Mark,

I think there's a workaround for this. Just get friendly with the higher-ups at work, and convince them to print up some fliers for a Friday cruise-into-work car show. Bring your classic cars to the show lot (conveniently in the employee parking area) Friday at 8, and the show will conclude promptly at 5. Of course, it's an all inclusive car show, so everything is welcome, even that 2001 Corsica with the dented front fender that Brad from accounting drives. Suddenly the problem goes away!

Seriously though, I would rather pay more for regular plates and regular insurance than to have a restriction based on when I can or can't drive my car. Now, I could understand a financial benefit to it if you have a car lot full of vehicles. At that point, collector plates and insurance make sense, since you can register and insure a handful of cars for the regular cost of one. Or if you've got a 400 point trailer queen for exhibition only, I don't understand you, but I believe this is another time when the collector plates/insurance make sense. But for a guy like me who will probably only own a maximum of 2 or 3 total cars (including classics) at any time at the maximum, it's nonsense to try and save money by rendering my car indrivable.

Of course, I suppose some states/provinces require collector plates on older cars. If that's the case, then it's truly out of your hands.

Clark,

I work from home, so yes
                    Me too. The benefit of working from home is that the commute's a breeze. Plus, if I forget to wear pants to the office, nobody has to know about it! Of course, my job also requires several small trips every day on our little 1 square mile campus I live on, so the Stude still gets some fresh air nearly every day. An added bonus is that the campus doesn't use salt on our snow in the winter, so as long as I can put up with the sandblasting from the sand and gravel they lay, I can pretty much drive my car on campus year round.
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

BC Collector Plates

To be clear, the use of Collector plates is voluntary not mandatory in BC. Having collector plates provides me about an 80% discount on my licensing AND insurance costs. However, I can now drive it for "pleasure use" only. I can drive it every day of the year and there is no limitation on mileage, but I cannot drive it to work or school (if I were a student) at any time. As I have 2 other vehicles with regular plates/insurance, this is not really a handicap. Of course, once I retire, there will be effectively no restrictions on where and when I drive my Studebakers. Less than 3 years to go!

PS - Yes Jim, I did organize something "automotive" the day I needed to leave from work to head to a zone meet and I did not want to drive all the way home to get my Stude after work.
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander
                      Zone Coordinator
                      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I generally drive my Studebaker 8 or so miles to school every day =) Does fairly well.
                        Sure she may have 85hp, sure she may not be the most attractive or fastest thing out there, but she is the best car that represents me- 1953 Studebaker Champion Sedan

Comment

I drove a Studebaker to work six or so times last year but have yet to drive it to work this year as the weather hasnt cooperated yet, though the weather was nice last Saturday so I drove it into town to take care of some errands. The young guys at the automobile service station (where I dropped off a flat tire in need of repair from my late model Ford pickup) were impressed with the '64 Daytona, especially when I did a juvenile burnout when I left the place.
                          I have collector plates on the car(s) and am technically breaking the law by driving it to work but I could argue that I am displaying or showing the car to my co-employees, therefor I am driving it to a car show. Right?? If I ever get pulled over for this purpose, that will be my defense.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

"Do you drive your Studebaker to work?"

I used to-- before I retired from the NAVY!!!
                            From late 1991 until I retired in 2008, I drove several different Studes.
                            I used to hate having the newbies at the front gate check my ID,
                            and then ask if I was wearing my seat belt...

Some of the folks I worked with didn't understand my attraction to Studes, either.
                            I was always telling them about how while I might have to pay a bit more at the pump, since I could maintain my ride on my own, had no car payment every month, and paid less for my insurance that it was for the best. After one of my six month deployments nearly everyone I worked with was left high and dry by their rides but mine fired right up. She didn't seem to mind being parked for that period of time, whereas their rides did. Some understood after that, but didn't go looking for older rides.
                            Go figure.
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I would like to drive mine to work, but the 96 mile round trip doesn't stop me, but seeing as many as 25 deer at edge of highway on way home ( get off at 1 am) does stop me. its too hard to find good m series grilles to risk it. I will run it up town for a quick errand or to the dairy Queen.
                              Randy Wilkin
                              1946 M5 Streetrod
                              Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

I can't drive mine to work.
                                Where I work is on a mountain with very steep driveways.
                                It can drive up them just fine,, but getting back down them with 1952 style brakes is a white knuckle experience.
                                Did it once. Ended up not dying. But I will not be trying that again.

Brakers are fine for flatland, normal hills, and even full speed freeway driving. It isn't my specific brakes. It is the design of them versus long, steep mountain sides.

I know I could upgrade them with something after market, but the car is near stock, if not full stock. (Chromed parts under the hood probably didn't come with the car from the factory, but they were on it before I met the car). Everything else is stock down to the 6 volt positive ground electrical system.
                                So I have parking permit stickers for all my other cars to get past the guards at work with just a smile, and park in my assigned space. But I didn't bother to ask for one for the Studebaker.
                                Poor dearie is NOT going there.

If I get a different job, without a mountain, for sure I will give it a day or two a month of driving me to work, purely to exercise it.
                                Surely the insurance company won't object if I keep the battery charged up!

Comment

Working...
                                X