Ford 302 - 351 in 53-55 stude coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 302 - 351 in 53-55 stude coupe

Anyone done one of these or into a hawk?
    John

No, but I think You'll need to lose the typical Ford 'front oil sump' oil pan. And certain (Windsor?, Cleveland ?) 351 Ford V8's are quite wide.

Comment

More work than it is worth even with a truck pan. But a 318 will fit perfect. Just a slight change to the motor mounts with truck mounts.

Comment

I'd be shocked if any Windsor is wider than the bulky Studey motor.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

The motor mount area on small block Fords is moved back toward the middle side of the engine rather than near the front as on many engines. As a result, the left side motor mount needs to be just about where the steering box is on a C-K Studebaker. I once saw a '59 Hawk that had a 302 Ford in it, and the fabrication it took to make a frame to mount bracket was a fragile mess, since it had to bridge the steering box.

Comment

I've seen a couple of tiny block Fords in there and they look lost. What won't physically fit in a C/K engine compartment is the question. Since the long, wide, tall, heavy Packard fits, that pretty much means every other OHV8 will also.

The one positive thing which might cause one to choose the SBF over larger, more powerful options is it takes two hundred pounds off the front axle. The steering, braking and handling will be improved by several orders of magnitude.

Maybe, state your goals. Easy? Cheap? Economical? Powerful? Handling? Way different and cool? All the above? Then, you can get some focused advice.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Jack V. can probably comment on cylinder wall integrity on those Ford engines. I have been long involved with short track oval racing and I was hooked up with Ford teams on two different occasions. Cylinder wall cracking was pretty common.

Comment

To: glassfrog,--- If You do go with a Ford.........at least make it a 289!!!!!!!!

Comment

Jerry. The small block fords are a little weak in the walls but the big issue is the front of the crank on anything newer than 1980. Cyl walls should be ok under 10-1 compression and no bottle baby. The crank a guy could go aftermarket stroker and fix that issue plus you could then build a 351 windsor into a 408. should put you in the 500 hp on street gas range. With a good builder the motor mount issue should not be a problem. Cost would be more than a small chev but not that much.

Comment

That could be a problem.

Comment

Why not a newer modular motor....like the dual overhead cam 4 valve per cylinder Cobra, or Mark VIII engine? They can be had cheap.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                        Jack V. can probably comment on cylinder wall integrity on those Ford engines. I have been long involved with short track oval racing and I was hooked up with Ford teams on two different occasions. Cylinder wall cracking was pretty common.
                        The reason the SBF is so light is it is so thin everywhere. Cracking in no problem with stock bore. It's not usually a problem with .030" on a stock or light street build. Racers bore them big, wind them tight. Both together and the SBF will crack a cylinder sooner or later.

Why not a newer modular motor....like the dual overhead cam 4 valve per cylinder Cobra, or Mark VIII engine? They can be had cheap.
                        I should have said "any OHV8 will fit." The Ford 4OHCV8s are huge outside and small inside; IIRC, almost thirty inches wide. Add in the fact it takes a $1500 aftermarket wiring harness and computer to make them run and it's not where most CASOs should look. This month's HRM has a great article on the challenges of swapping in a Coyote. Most of it also applies to the earlier quadcams.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Just about anything will fit into that Stude engine compartment.
                          There's a 53 with a late (!?) model 426 Chrysler Hemi with the large aluminum rocker covers. No fender cutting was required...the hood has a huge hole for the blower though...!

And years ago, a guy took a less thAn a year old 59 Lark and dropped a 392 Chrysler Hemi into it. 6 two barrels...all under the stock hood and fenders.

Just depends on your fabrication and welding skills.

Mike

Comment

I installed a 392 Hemi into a '58 Silver Hawk...no skirt or steering mods, and the hood closed over it nicely.

Comment

Working...
                            X