Body Tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Tags

I was restoring a vehicle that needed a body ID tag. i started looking into how to make one. After searching for stamps I finally found 1/2" reversible stamps with 3/4" shanks. Next I had to find an appropriate material for the tag. I found material that worked quite well using a single stamp. At the time I had access to a Blanchard Grinder. I roughed the stamps but each one had to be individually sized. After spending literally hours on a hand surface grinder I got the first group of stamps sized. My next step was to build a holding fixture, as shown in the second photo. The original material that I used no longer worked with the group of stamps. I needed to find a new material for the tags. After many trials I finally found a usable material at Tractor Supply. After dozens of trials and errors I came up with acceptable samples. Keep in mind since I only have one stamp of each character when I need to use, for example, two (1's) I have to leave a space blank for the initial pressing and then go back and restamp the character into the blank space. The top stamp on each photo is the original while the lower three are the ones I made.

Yes, I know not all the letters are exactly the same (i.e. the w). It would take a very close look to pick that out once applied to a vehicle.

Who can identify the vehicle that these belong to? The bottom tag is my first customer's tag. He has been after me for a year to make one for him.

I only needed DW to post one pic of the stamps but I guess where one is good, three are better!!!

This sounds very interesting....but unfortunately I can't seem to pull up the attachments.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      This sounds very interesting....but unfortunately I can't seem to pull up the attachments.
      So sorry. We have been working on this for hours and thought we had it only to fail. Our follow up post shows the pics but only as a thumbnail size.

Comment

The maximum size is now limited to 100 KB, which is pretty small, but saves money.
        sigpic

Comment

Are you trying to attach thru the post or by a link to an external site?
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Roscomacaw
            I have no idea what my wife was doing, she is the computer person. What I can say with a whole lot certainty we won't be posting pictures anytime soon.
            Jerry

Comment

Below the "Quick Reply" window, there's a "button" that says Go Advanced. Click it - then click on the paper clip icon - then the "Add Files" button and follow instructions to choose which files on YOUR computer that you want to upload. There are size restrictions, but.... even if the pics are big, they'll still upload and be resized appropriately as they do so. Then click "insert inline" and THEN go type in the text you wanna add. At least, that's how it works for me.

BTW, I never did see if I guessed right as to your friend's car being a '37 President.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I thought you had the perfect "GO AROUND" Bob. I never tried this method, and it worked fine right up until I clicked Load.

WE still have a Limit of 97.something KB, and that will stop ALL of my Pics without some complicated "Resizing" Process.

Bah humbug!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Maybe it just likes my photos more. I've never had to resize one I wanted to load!

Comment

Roscomacaw
                    Yes the tag is for a president sedan. He took his to a plater and it melted,they are lead based. What are the other ones for? One is to what I am told is the only vehicle to apear in both Antique Review and Turning Wheels the same month. The other made it first appearance at the recent S. Bend Nationals.
                    Jerry

Comment

Just checking to see if I can still post pix.
                      Attached Files
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I guess it still works for me.<G>
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                          I guess it still works for me.<G>
                          Yes it definitely does! NICE '55. (Did You do the grille assy/bumper?)

Comment

Yes I did. But that's not my best work. You should see my Good stuff. <G>
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Jerry,
                              I'm just guessing, mind you, but...could one of them possibly be a COE Coca-Cola truck?

Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X