No announcement yet.

39 coupe express progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like it will be an awesome driver. A coupe expressis on my bucket list, and I found one in Boise a year ago, but couldn't make a deal on it.

Comment

• Thanks!

I adjusted the free play on the rack today as much as I felt I could without breaking anything. It helped but there is still some free play.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

• Today took it out to Mulberry, a little town about 15 miles from Lafayette for a car show. Had a great time looking at various cars and had Hog Nuts for lunch. My favorite car was a 62 corvette. Lovely car!

Another fav was a 67 Nova which he said was all original except for the v8 engine. Lovely clean light blue metallic car.

Comment

• Yesterday I drove the CE out to my Indies for a few things. I forgot how nicely it drives! I plan to drive it more now whenever possible!

Comment

• picked it up today. They raised the motor 1/4" on each side and adjusted the ac belt, though did not replace it as I asked as they could not find the smaller size. The leak under the car was the return line with a small slit in it. And they adjusted the accelerator pedal a bit which did help. Sweet little truck.

I plan to start driving it more starting saturday when I plan to brave a trip to the Indy area for a cobra club meeting.

Comment

• So I drove around a bit yesterday. I took it out on the limited access near the shop and found it accelerated up nicely....so I was doing 80 in no time.....it was so easy I took it up to (indicated) 90 and drove a few miles no problem. Then I looked at the temp and it was nearly to (indicated) 230 degrees, so I backed down the speed to 65 and drove a couple miles. It did not come down much so I stopped and looked....no overheating indications, but I quickly noticed there must have been a 30 mph tailwind. Apparently it assisted the speed and hindered the cooling. It was near 90 degrees and I was running with the ac on. Going back into the wind it assumed a normal temp quickly and stayed that way.

I will look at adding a shrouded electric fan though.

Good test drive. Tomorrow i am going to take it down to a Cobra party in Indy.

I may change the 3.00 ratio diff to a 3.50 for a little more acceleration and a little less economy.

Comment

• Hope the road trip works out for you...share some photos of it playing with Cobras. cheers, junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

• Well, OK probably can muster enough energy to do that.

Comment

• I did remember to take the camera but forgot to take pictures! Sorry!

I found out the AC will run you out on its lowest setting. Brrrrrrrr!

I had previously been having trouble with the compressor hitting the cross member and loosening the belt. I had them put washers between the engine mount and the arm off the block to raise the engine a quarter of an inch and, viola', no hitting.
                    Last edited by t walgamuth; 09-01-2020, 04:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                      I did remember to take the camera but forgot to take pictures! Sorry!...
                      Ha Ha...I interpret that to mean you were having too much fun to be bothered with snapping pictures.

I've done the same thing even though my camera is my phone on my belt.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

• Yes. Thanks!

Comment

• Today I dropped off the 015 mercedes ML at the dealer for the emission problem. I drove the 39 studie around a bit getting lots of thumbs up. I had 285 miles on the tank of gas (though I believe the speedo to be optimistic by 5 or ten miles per hour. Took 10 gallons so at least 25 mpg in mixed driving.

Wooo Hooooo!

A guy came up and asked all about it then launched into a description of all the cars he owns....among them a GTO and a GEO wagon (never built by the factory). It was a little different than the usual comments.

Another guy came up and asked if I had a 250 crate motor in it. When I told him what it was he seemed disappointed and walked away.

I am finding the gear too tall. I can cruise easily in fourth or fifth but the acceleration through the gears is sluggish. I may go all the way to a 3.73.

Comment

• https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...-Kit,2980.html

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                            Today I am working on headlights. I found some NOS lenses and two very nice trim rings. I have a spare set that is NOS or very near it I can sell if anybody has a need. I think I will get the reflectors replated (is the original finish nickel?) and install some high power bulbs and go on down the road.
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

• Yeah, I think I used those on the build.

Comment

Working...
                              X