Studebaker Paint help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Paint help needed

I have three basic questions about Stude paint.

#1 Is '63 Lark 'champagne gold" and '63 "Avanti gold" the same formula?

#2 What modern paint do you use as the closest match? Toyota, Chevy, Honda, or other gold? My paint stores have no formulas over 25 years old, so cannot formulate the original colors.

#3 Do the Stude paint formulas that would allow duplicating the color exist, and where could they be located?

Thanks.

They definitely aren't the same formula....if they were, the factory color code numbers would be the same. But 'Champagne Gold's' code is: P-6315 while 'Avanti Gold' is: P-6333.

Comment

Effie, try other paint stores that you can bring in an item off the car to match like the gas cap door. They can analyze it and come up with the formula for it. My paint store are Professional Finishes which carries 3M paint product line. Also NAPA carries a full line of paint 3M products. iIn Eastern Washington State. And don't forget Turning Wheels Co-Operator Advisor Greg Lantini who is our expert in Body Work& Painting.He is probably the least used expert,because most folks don't do there own body and paint work. Greg Lantini 3725 Jugtown Rd. Morris Il. 60450-7393. Good luck on your quest! ..Let us know how your doing..

Comment

Find a good RM dealer. RM has a lab that has been able to come up with about any Studebaker color. When paint stores use a machine it basically finds the closes match in its data base. David

Comment

Someone here (maybe Ray Lin restorations) had a link to many of the fornulas that was posted here some time back. My local paint store (Finishmasters in Greenville. SC) still has the old books with the formulas but doesnt carry the correct base. They also have the old chips and are very good at finding a modern match. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

My '63 Wagonaire project is Champagne Gold. There are some pics and a formula in an older thread:
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=Gold+paint
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

If you need Avanti Gold SI sells it in rattle cans.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

If I remember correctly, call 1-800-DuPont, give them the year and paint code, they will give you a "current" color formula that is very close. if not right on. You might call a paint store and ask for the correct number to get the older car formulas.

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

The problem with formulas is the toners used change through the years. A product can remain the same but the toners are modified for newer colors. When a new toner replaces an older one, sometimes the paint manufacturer will publish a new formula to duplicate the older toner. Sometimes, but not always. Then we have government regulations that force changes in the paint itself, making it all the more difficult to match. At least Studebaker had only 2 main assembly plants. Some I have seen will have as many as 5 variances in their formulas for one color code! Making things worse too is the color "reading" cameras used do not always give the correct formulas when the color is a metallic. As Wolfie stated in post #5 regarding Finishmasters, I have delt with them for years. they carry the major manufacturers (Dupont, PPG, R-M) & offer all the help one would need.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                    The problem with formulas is the toners used change through the years. A product can remain the same but the toners are modified for newer colors. When a new toner replaces an older one, sometimes the paint manufacturer will publish a new formula to duplicate the older toner. Sometimes, but not always. Then we have government regulations that force changes in the paint itself, making it all the more difficult to match. At least Studebaker had only 2 main assembly plants. Some I have seen will have as many as 5 variances in their formulas for one color code! Making things worse too is the color "reading" cameras used do not always give the correct formulas when the color is a metallic. As Wolfie stated in post #5 regarding Finishmasters, I have delt with them for years. they carry the major manufacturers (Dupont, PPG, R-M) & offer all the help one would need.
                    One of the local paint companies that I deal with will take one of my parts for color matching and do a spray-out of the results to directly compare to the original part. Just had the 58 PH interior color matched that way. dead on as far as I could tell.
                    64 Champ long bed V8
                    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far, gives me some leads to follow. Unfortunately, sections of my Daytona have been previously resprayed, so it has about 3 shades of gold on the body at present. I think I found the original shade under the trunk lid emblem. Can probably find something under the dash with the original paint preserved. The P-6315 code may be a help.

Comment

My Dupont store has used the call 1-800-DuPont option for me multiple times and I have been very pleased with the results. I have to admit I am shocked each time when I see the increase in the costs of the paint.
                        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                        1961 Hawk 4-speed
                        1967 Avanti
                        1961 Lark 2 door
                        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
                        X