Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the hardest part to find when restoring a Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the hardest part to find when restoring a Avanti?

What parts should I be looking for to restore a 1963 Avanti, while I finish restoring one of my other cars.

What is the hardest part to find when restoring an Avanti?

Money.. ..for some of us!
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Mechanical parts are little problem. It's the little trim items that will drive you crazy. Much of that stems from having to undo what previous owners have done the car (a problem with restoring any car of any make). When I had my Avanti reconstructed (with a fair amount of modifications, so it wasn't a true restoration), I was unable to find a brake line pressure switch (not on a Studebaker, my car is a '70), and some of the chrome trim on the upholstered door panels. Somewhere in time a previous owner ran a number of screws through the chrome trim and the door panels themselves to hold everything down.

Some things to have ahead of time or as spares...pick them up if you find them at a reasonable cost...

bumpers
      lenses
      turn signal housings
      back glass
      a/c evaporator (if your car has a/c)...made of unobtainium in good shape
      interior trim pieces

There's probably others but those are the big ones in my experience. Bumpers in good re-chromable condition can be hard to come by as are re-chromed ready to install units. Windshields are easy and still available new. Some weatherstripping has become difficult to find...rear swing-out window rubber in particular.

Even parts you replace with new or rebuilt can be resold on Ebay or a swap meet to help offset the restoration costs.

Best of luck.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
        What is the hardest part to find when restoring an Avanti?

Money.. ..for some of us!

Also important is a good vocabulary of profanity.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

On the '63, NOS glass headlamp covers are pretty rare now.

Comment

Original steering wheels are tough.

Comment

The parts you really need are always the hardest to find. They will become readily available and cheaper right after you purchase them.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by jd-stude View Post
                The parts you really need are always the hardest to find. They will become readily available and cheaper right after you purchase them.

Ken
                How true.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Avanti's but if you are fairly new, the go-to guy is Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motor Cars in Wixom, Mi 1-800-avanti1

He bought out the Avanti II stuff and knows Avanti's very well and has a great handle on what and where. He stocks a lot also.

I bring up his name because I just talked to him about a steering box seal. He knew what I needed, had the part and spent several minutes describing how to install it without damage. Other suppliers also have parts and are valuable but Dan is easy to contact and talk to.

Best of all, he's not hung up on modifications as he's modified a few himself.

Bob

Comment

Try to find a set of original chrome windshield wiper arms. The brushed replacements are easy as pie to come by, while the originals are dang near impossible. The problem with restoring a Studebaker Avanti is not availability of key parts, it's the expense of the dozens (or hundreds) of parts that will need to be replaced. Nothing is cheap. You can go broke buying an alternator or starter or a bumper or windshield or distributor or a power window relay/motor or carpet or a carb or a fuel pump (especially for an R2) or a tach sender or any gauges or door sills or a headliner or bright parts or a million other parts.
                  edp/NC
                  \'63 Avanti
                  \'66 Commander

Comment

Couldn't you buy the brushed replacements and polish them?
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

the first thing i would suggest to purchase is a Shop Manual and a Body & Chassis Manual. they are available from "Studebaker International" online or through their catalog - which i also picked up. also the manuals are available on ebay off & on. i like the paper versions - but the manuals are also available on cd-roms for your computer. letting folks here know the part# needed would help find whatever needed.

as far as parts, try to repair/refurbish all you can, as it can get quite pricey. i purchased several parts from Mr. & Mrs. Booth/Nostalgic (aka: "avanti lady" on ebay), after calling them for things i couldn't find elsewhere.

good luck, and have fun!
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

This.....Click image for larger version

Name:	R3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1679613
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                          This.....[ATTACH=CONFIG]22577[/ATTACH]
                          Yep, I totally agree. I still haven't found a decent windshield washer nozzle...

Nick

Comment

Funny Nick, it couldn't be the R3 Engine though right?
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I couldn't rechrome them. I finally found one, after about a year's search, to replace the one that was missing.

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              Couldn't you buy the brushed replacements and polish them?
                              edp/NC
                              \'63 Avanti
                              \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X