Outside mirrors - Your opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside mirrors - Your opinions please

My 62 Lark apparently came from the factory without any outside mirrors. I didn't notice this until I was driving home after I bought the car. It's been off the road for 2 years while I am doing a Chevy 327 heart transplant. The car is going to look 100% stock when finished. I recently picked up a set of original mirrors for both doors. Now that I have been looking at pictures of Larks of the same vintage as well as other makes, I notice that many do not have outside mirrors. I prefer them for driving, but I want to keep the old school look. This will be a cruise night car. What are your thoughts? Should I put them on or leave as is?

Dougie,I would put them on if you'll drive it in traffic.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Safety first.
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

If you use them, put them on...
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I've been doing this driving thing for 54 years and I can't imagine how one could do it safely without outside mirrors. You can't see who's on your quarters nor where you're backing.

When I was 15 and taking drivers training, my instructor drilled into us the value of mirrors and made sure we checked them every few seconds. I can't get out of that habit.

Put them on, just think how you'll feel when you go to change lanes and bend up your quarter panel on the kid that was going 20 mph faster than you and you didn't see him.

Bob

Comment

Better to be safe than sorry. Always have and use mirrors.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Mirrors were an option but available in '62 so, old school acceptable. Left and right both essential in todays traffic.
              You will find it near impossible to get the right side mirror in to a position that benefits the driver. First find the most functional spot for it, then position the left side mount to match.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I have both right and left mirrors on my '63. Here's my take:

Drivers side mirror: Fairly useful. Not as useful as a full size mirror you'd find on a modern car, but it's definitely shown me a car I didn't see over my shoulder on more than one occasions, so I'm glad to have it.

Passenger side mirror: Pretty, but almost entirely useless. that little round mirror shows me an area about the size of a box of matches, and I can see pretty well just looking over my shoulder. A few people have said that they sell a cheap stick-on convex mirror at most auto parts stores or Walmart that fits perfectly over the original mirror and widens the field of view considerably. That still doesn't change the fact that the mirror is the size of a pringles can lid and placed nearly 8 feet away, so I've let it stay original so far.

Bottom line, add at least the drivers side. The passenger side is mostly for symmetry and dressing, which are still good things.
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

My Dad bought a low mileage '55 Chevy in 1971 and it had no outside mirror on it. Needless to say, we went to the parts store and bought and installed one immediately.

Passenger side rear view mirrors were almost never seen on 50s and 60s cars. If it were me, I'd just put one on the driver's side.

Dave Bonn
                  '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                    Safety first.
                    BULL!
                    Mirrors are over rated. Along with seat belts, dual master cylinders, disc brakes and air bags.
                    As far as mirrors go, anything hanging on the outside of the car slows you down and hurts gas mileage.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                      BULL!
                      Mirrors are over rated. Along with seat belts, dual master cylinders, disc brakes and air bags.
                      As far as mirrors go, anything hanging on the outside of the car slows you down and hurts gas mileage.
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Bad grounds slow you down too!! <G>

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

It's nice to see Jerry in such a good mood!!
                          Jamie McLeod
                          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                          1958 Commander "Christine"
                          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                          1955 Commander Sedan
                          1964 Champ
                          1960 Lark

Comment

I added them to my Lark when I got it, on the premise of safety, along with seatbelts all around. Believe me, around here, if it was a safety item from Studebaker, I decked that car out(other than the disc brakes). The '55 though, had no side mirrors or backup lamps, and since it was one of the few operating vehicles from the rural dealership from where it came, I'm leaving the items off as a historical footnote. These things were luxury items at the time the car was sold, and since the people in the area had little money for all of the accessories, they weren't ordered for the car. That big ol' center bus mirror inside the car will suffice, and if I need to look back there, I'll crane my head around and see what's back there as I've always done. In short, I can go either way, but it's probably better to have them.
                            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                              Bad grounds slow you down too!! <G>

Jim
                              OUCH!!

Memories are wonderful!
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X