Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does,"The most expensive car you can buy is a cheap Avanti." apply here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does,"The most expensive car you can buy is a cheap Avanti." apply here?

I know that saying in the title originated here on the forum, but I can't remember who originated it. Thanks to you for a great statement. I just saw the car that is linked below on ebay, and immediately thought of that saying. Am I right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...item19da7a96b8

John D Poulos popularized it here, but I've heard it said about most every collector car which costs more to restore than it's worth when time to resell.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

The seller had a turquoise Avanti at a show last summer. I have not seen this car which I think he may have acquired since then.
      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
        I know that saying in the title originated here on the forum, but I can't remember who originated it. Thanks to you for a great statement. I just saw the car that is linked below on ebay, and immediately thought of that saying. Am I right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...item19da7a96b8

Give the seller some real credit for being truthful. I've seen similar cars sold for for way more by "forgetting" to mention the rusty troughs or tired engine. You could almost afford to part it out and make money at his asking price.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

The seller has written about the car on AOAI forum, here, and the AOAI page on FB, letting all know about the disappointment he had when finding the condition of the troughs and the oily cylinder after he bought the vehicle and had it transported to his location. He has been totally upfront about the car, which I would consider to be too valuable to part out. A 63 R2 4 speed is a significant car that deserves new troughs and an engine rebuild. Buying the car and putting another $10 - $12 K into it, which will vary with your mechanical capabilities, will give you a car that is still under a Hemmings or Hagarty value for it and you have saved a significant classic.
          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Kinda moot now, no longer available. I hope somebody capable bought it, the seller certainly has been forth coming about condition.

It certainly looks to have good bones, my only concern is the frame itself but there have been plenty of sound frames out there with non-existant troughs. I kinda have the feeling this guy would have been the one in a million to have shown fatal rot were it there.

Comment

A GREAT BUY for someone not affraid to do a little work! The car will be at my shop in a week or so. :-)
              Jim
              I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                A GREAT BUY for someone not affraid to do a little work! The car will be at my shop in a week or so. :-)
                Jim
                Excellent buy Jim. Glad it went to someone that will put it back in great shape. You will post current and progress pictures, I hope.

I'm really curious about your evaluation when you get it in your shop.

Bob

Comment

Interesting reading about my car (was my car) and the opinions. I tried to as honest about the car as possible. The guy I bought it from was far from honest about it's condition. At the selling price the buyer can have LarkTruck do his magic and have a really nice car. I also look forward to seeing how it progresses!! JimO
                  1963 Avanti R2
                  1951 Champion Convertible
                  1953 Commander
                  1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                    Excellent buy Jim. Glad it went to someone that will put it back in great shape. You will post current and progress pictures, I hope.

I'm really curious about your evaluation when you get it in your shop. Bob
                    Not mine Bob, but a good friend/client who is well known in the Avanti world. Now I wish I had those hog troughs back! :-) Will keep you posted as things progress.
                    Jim
                    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by n29we View Post
                      Interesting reading about my car (was my car) and the opinions. I tried to as honest about the car as possible. The guy I bought it from was far from honest about it's condition. At the selling price the buyer can have LarkTruck do his magic and have a really nice car. I also look forward to seeing how it progresses!! JimO
                      Jim: I think you described the car as it was. It is hoped your next venture into the world of Avanti works out well for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
                        Jim: I think you described the car as it was. It is hoped your next venture into the world of Avanti works out well for you.
                        Thanks!! As a matter of fact I have it's replacement in my collection now. It a 63 Gray R2 4 speed. I was able to go to test drive the car and even had a conversation with Brad Bez about the car. He had performed some recent work on the car so it was nice to have that info too. JimO
                        1963 Avanti R2
                        1951 Champion Convertible
                        1953 Commander
                        1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

I agree with everyone about seller of the Avanti having the great character of being extremely honest about the problems wth his car. I can't say the seller in the link below is not honest, but I was really surprised when I opened listing. The leather seats kind of three me, too.
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-...item232958f4d5

Comment

Mr. E, i saw this earlier today on my "ebay studes with morning coffee" search. i didn't open it since it had a "file photo" as the main pic - after opening it now, i wish i had my "click" back!
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by n29we View Post
                              Thanks!! As a matter of fact I have it's replacement in my collection now. It a 63 Gray R2 4 speed. I was able to go to test drive the car and even had a conversation with Brad Bez about the car. He had performed some recent work on the car so it was nice to have that info too. JimO
                              Enjoyed seeing you and your most recent Avanti at the Essex Automobile Show yesterday. It is a beautiful car in fine condition. My Avanti being next to the Kaiser Darrin provided two fiberglass cars side by side! The show had a 25% increase in growth since last year which is great. No difficulty keeping warm!

Comment

Working...
                              X