Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
    "How would you restore The Whistler?"
    Same as the Tempest in the first post in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...mpest+aluminum

Craig

Comment

• How would I restore it? I don't know if I would! I don't know if it has the original front clip or not which might impact my thoughts. I might try to re-assemble it, and leave all the patina in place. I fine it awsome to compare the "as found" condition of the car with period photos, but that is just me. If one was to take it to the next level, I would then restore it "as raced" warts and all.
      The whistler I want to see is the car in the photos, NOT how it appeared on the showroom floor (and this is coming from someone who did restore my R2 to as-built condition).
      Click image for larger version

Name:	adampix I.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1687692
      Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
      \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

• Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        Same as the Tempest in the first post in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...mpest+aluminum

Craig
        The Tempest was a "Factory" race car and I would expect it would look much like the restored version at the track. The Whistler was a private entry, much like the 55 Chebby we raced back in the day. Most stock class drag cars back then looked like 5 YO street drive cars with less than professional lettering and numbers. That's what I'd return it to. Just like the pictures show.

JMHO, Bob

Comment

• Hay thanks for your input on how the car should be restored. As far as The Whistler being restored to it race ready look. I think thats the way I,m going for. As far as its original patina not much left of it inless you like all surface rust look? then just slap a engin in it and go. No its way to rough to do that.Theres way to much damge to the car from its days as a race car, better left in photos at this pointe .Drive shaft damge I can live with but they did a quick trany fix from the top side .Must have left there floor jack at home that day. Repairs were made but its ugly. You will see as new pix are posted.The roof has a hole in it for a CB antenna.No big deal ether but it looks like thay had a few Victey dance on it to.I think Bob Palma will agree on removing some of it Warts and starting over with new patina.He has seen the pix, as he says not much there. Keep the replys coming all is welcome . Thanks JOHN KROULIK

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
            The Tempest was a "Factory" race car and I would expect it would look much like the restored version at the track. The Whistler was a private entry, much like the 55 Chebby we raced back in the day. Most stock class drag cars back then looked like 5 YO street drive cars with less than professional lettering and numbers. That's what I'd return it to. Just like the pictures show.

JMHO, Bob
            This car was not a "5 YO street drive car with less than professional lettering and numbers." It was a serious entry by a seller of the product with professional lettering of his business prominently displayed on a brand new car. And Tanner Motors ordered it from the factory to go racing with. I look at Tanner Motors was to Studebaker as Royal Pontiac was to PMD.

Craig
            Last edited by 8E45E; 02-07-2014, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• John, IMHO the "race ready look" is the way to go!

looking forward to pics of your progress.
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                Attached are some photos of Atlas Bucron tires the choice of street racers of the time.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]32180[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32181[/ATTACH]
                My dad said the only problem with those Bucrons is that they did not make noise when they would spin on the pavement - but that did not happen much because they were so soft.

Comment

• Any updates on The Whistler? I would love to see a "day 2" restoration with all the lettering and race ready attitude! Restoring it to day 1 factory stock would be an injustice,like a picture of a Purple Heart war hero without his Purple Heart pinned on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                    As for the whitewalls on the rear only. I'm betting they were "Atlas Bucron" tires that were known for the being sticky and were used by many stock class racers at the time.
                    They very well could be. Atlas 'Bucrons', or Firestone 'Butylaires', (made with butyl synthetic rubber) gave really good traction on dry (or wet) pavement. They did wear out very fast though.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      I think we'll get Tom Shaw on that detail later this year, to kind of spread out the Studebaker exposure.
                      After reading my "Hemi in the Barn" once more, perhaps Tom Cotter might want to also pick up on the story, and add it to his 'barn finds' book portfolio should he start another volume.

Craig

Comment

• Two For Tuesday

Well since Tuesday was a special day on the Mickey Mouse Club, Why not on the forum?

In Post #104 I had mentioned something about how hard the Whistler was run..

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                        If I were to guess, after one year it started racing it was looking like a car that not even the best refrigerator salesman in Alaska could sell.
                        This picture was taken in March 1964. In examining this picture, One notices some extra markings on the rear quarters and some writing on the passenger window..

Note: Racing Photos Courtesy of JR Bloom. Please do not redistribute.

Let me blow it up for you..

You can see faintly the shoe-polish written "For Sale" on the passenger's window.

What is nice also to note is how nice it does look on the out side. No digs or crunched fenders and the Tail lights are still on it.

For the Second Picture:

Interesting to find one with no driver in it, just parked..

I've also enlarged the area of the window with the stickers on it..

You can see the two Bee Line stickers, one under the STP, and the Race participant one on the Quarter..
                        Autolite spark plugs with the circle and cross hairs, and another Autolite on the lower right window..

The Tire sponsor is right above the lower right Autolite sticker and may answer which tires the Whistler ran..

Enjoy

Last edited by SScopelli; 04-11-2019, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• Looks like Floyd Mendenhall is covered over too?
                          Mike Lynch
                          Sunnyslope, AZ

"Be kind and civil. Allow that you may be mistaken; allow that others will make mistakes, be gracious. If you're going to contribute, try to make it worthwhile."
                          Alan Taylor

Comment

• Looks like it is wearing some chrome reverse wheels in the stationary photos, and lost the whitewalls. Still looks like it is in pretty good shape!
                            Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                            \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

• The poll results are in and the clear decision was the discovery of "The Whistler"

One last look as Floyd battles The Whistler on at a night time drag race.

Note: Racing Photos Courtesy of JR Bloom. Please do not redistribute.

Look for future post to be of parts gathering and rebuilding..

6,853 6/17/14
                              Last edited by SScopelli; 04-11-2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• Great, Seb. We are waiting with bated breath. BP
                                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                                X