No announcement yet.

1963 R2 Lark "The Whistler"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know it's not accurate, but to me, the tach always looked like a cheap addition to the dash. Could we not simply make the dash in the same bezel and same style as the speedometer? I think it would give the dash a more finished look. I feel like it would be correcting a factory boo-boo.
    sals54

Comment

• Outstanding work on those Instruments.

Thanks for sharing those AWESOME Pictures Seb! We finally get to see what the real Ray Tanner looked like.

Obviously this was before that left door got dented. Or maybe AFTER it was repaired, the paint does not match!

Car Owner Chuck Bradshaw kinda reminds me of George Krem, being that BOTH are Car Owners of Studebaker 1/4 Mile Dragstrip Winners! And both have "Drivers", and even wearing Glasses, an amazing similarity!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

• Amazing Car, Amazing History, and Amazing Restoration! Keep the posts coming, it keeps me inspired to work on my fleet!

Amazing!!
        Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
        \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

• we're waiting on that first BURNOUT!

Comment

• Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
            In viewing this thread, we have seen photos of the Whistler competing in drag races.

SO it is a race car.. But what was sort of missing is the results..

Mr Bloom has search his fathers archives and found some particularly interesting photos.. Results...

These pictures must have been meant for a magazine or news article..

The bigger trophy with the side pillars and angels with the "9" on it, is the 63 Winter national class champion trophy.

Above, Left to right..
            Ray Tanner: Suit, Owner of Ray Tanner Mortors
            Floyd Mendenhall: White Shirt, Driver/Mechanic
            Chuck Bradshaw: Tan Shirt, Owner/Driver

Enjoy...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83195[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83196[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83197[/ATTACH]57,179
            Wonderful pictures, Seb; thanks so much.

Those are the kind of photos that would have been forwarded to, among other places, the Editor of The Studebaker News, to be "run" in that Studebaker-dealer newspaper. I wonder if they ever were? I have many issues of The Studebaker News from that era, but not all of them.

Dick Quinn: Have you ever seen any of those photos in The Studebaker News? The Studebaker News probably would have used the photo with the three men, since they liked to tie the dealership operatives to one-another through the official factory newspaper.

Thanks again, Seb; great stuff! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Wonderful pictures, Seb; thanks so much.
              My pleasure Bob. I've just enjoyed this journey and help out where and however I can.

John is the main machine putting in all the effort. This car is being built with many NOS parts as John can find or ones he has had in his vast collection.. More updates on the interior and John's desire for the details...

Mike has been helping out in all things "The Whistler" from lending a hand in the assembly and also doing an excellent job in research and getting articles together about "Bee Line" and "Phoenix" Raceway. I'll get a post with all that information later.

There is also Jimmy who stops by and lends a hand not worrying if he gets his hands dirty a bit..

Its just history, and its all out there, amazingly enough, we just need to turn over enough rocks to find it..

Again "We" have to give credit to J.R. Bloom for his dedication to capturing the moments on film, and for his son John for being very accommodating and searching millions of negatives for photos such as I've posted of "The Whistler."

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1781.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1729173Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1782.jpg
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1729174Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1783.jpg
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1729175Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1784.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1729176Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1780.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1729179Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1785.JPG
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1729178

Comment

• Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                I know it's not accurate, but to me, the tach always looked like a cheap addition to the dash. Could we not simply make the dash in the same bezel and same style as the speedometer? I think it would give the dash a more finished look. I feel like it would be correcting a factory boo-boo.
                I kind of understand Sal what you mean about the Tach. However, I have seen someone make a Tach from a "Clock Delete" and while it was nicely done, it just didn't look as appealing as I'd like..

Stewart Warner made all of the instruments for Studebaker..

The Tach is a model "760," but, Studebaker wanted the standard tach to be a little different and use the bezel that was the same for the Avanti and GT.. SO SW made the "765" for Studebaker..

The 765 has all the same guts as the 760 and required the transmitter as well to drive it.. The only difference was the 765 has a bigger lip on the top of the can to accommodate the larger Avanti/GT style bezel.

Here you can see the slight difference between the two..

That bigger lip also helps keep the Lark Tach in the adapter bezel on the dash.. If you use a standard SW Tach, it may pull through the bigger chrome bezel..

Hard to believe this, The Stude Tach also used a bigger glass than the standard SW 760 Tach as well as the Bezel..

So somewhere along the way, management was "OK" spending the cost of having SW make a variant of the 760(5) for the Avanti and GT, but would not approve the cost of the SW tooling to make another variant for the really bigger "Lark" style Tach.

Here is something to ponder...

I believe that All the gauges for the Avanti and GT were made at SW and shipped whole.

I believe that all the instruments for the "Lark" were assembled at Studebaker with components from SW..

What leads me to think this is that SI has tons of Lark Bezels for the gauges, but no bezels for the the Avanti or GT.

Name:	IMG-1786.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	172918026,096Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1647.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1729181Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1649.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	172918257,697
                Last edited by SScopelli; 08-13-2019, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Fiscinating information and insight on the tachometers, Seb. You've certainly become an authority on them. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Hey all always more great things to come when it comes to The Whistler currently working on the door rubber what a challenge that is but very grateful that we have something to work with. Big thumbs up to all vendors that reproduce parts for this hobby on their part there is many challenges to get the stuff right and as we know it doesn't always come out 100%. But in my mind somethings better than nothing. As far as NOS we are a lucky bunch of car owners to be playing with our Studebaker's Id like to see the big 3 owners come up with a complete new old stock interior for there cars. Thanks John Kroulik

Comment

• I have enjoyed all the updates on the Whistler and very excited to see it in person at MCACN . Famous Dave Walters has read the posts on it more than once and feel he’s the right person to letter it up and going to be cool to have it done during the Show live like Gary Woods 63 last year and now Dave is wanting a 1963 Lark of his own . It’s great to see all the history of this car come together with such attention to detail . The major Muscle Car Magazine Photographers go around the Show at night after it’s closed to the general public so hope the Whistler makes it into one of them as a feature .

Comment

• Ray Tanner Motors

From the looks of this picture, Ray Tanner motors was a pretty nice establishment..

Name:	IMG_1842.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	172925558,248

Comment

• Found you something for your documentation I hope you don't have . .Click image for larger version

Name:	Tanner car   1964 001.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1729587Click image for larger version

Name:	Tanner car   1964 002.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1729588

Name:	Tanner car   1964 003.jpg
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1729589 The 6th line down. I can't make my camera get a good shot, but I will. It lists a driver named Tanner and I wonder if it is this car, or something different?
                          Last edited by (S); 09-10-2019, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• I will give that a try.

Name:	Scan_20190910.jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1729598 Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 AHRA Races.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1729597 Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 AHRA Back Cover.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1729599
                            Free STP & Novi Decals from South Bend, IN!

Records in Scotsdale, AZ near the bottom it shows a Ronald Tanner?
                            Formula 7 F/S (Stock) at 16.25 Sec. 83.87 MPH Aug. 28, & 29, 1964.

That is likely a Stock 259 or 289 (F7) 2 Barrel, with about 3.31 Gears.
                            Probably a different Family Member in a different Stude. could even be a Brand New Hawk!

If it WAS the Whistler it was a REALLY bad run, but I don't get that it was F7, when I ran my 259 2 Brl. I was AHRA I/S -F7

The J/S Stude. of Wade "Pretty Man" and Bill Ehrsan from Sylvania, Ohio with a 10.51 & 67.96 at the 1/8 Mile Milan, MI Drags would be a 232 c.i.d.
                            _____________________________________________________

Here are 3 More Studes.

Name:	1964 AHRA Class Winners.jpg
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	1729600
                            Oh, OH... a '53 Comm. running a "STOCK" 232 with a 4 Barrel!
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 09-10-2019, 04:26 PM.
                            StudeRich

Comment

• Hi Rich,

Here's a couple pictures from John's 1964 rule book. It breaks down the classes by cubic inch.

Name:	IMG_3959.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1729605Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3961.jpg
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1729604
                              Mike Lynch
                              Sunnyslope, AZ

"Be kind and civil. Allow that you may be mistaken; allow that others will make mistakes, be gracious. If you're going to contribute, try to make it worthwhile."
                              Alan Taylor

Comment

• Thanks Mike, that matches what I have said that I remember about it. And to be a Stude. Ronald's car would have to be a 304.5 R3 with a 2 Barrel in F/Stock, Formula 7 ??

OR, more likely just a coincidence, a Non-Stude. Tanner, and NOT a Stude. at all.

Possibility number TWO; a Four Barrel, Supercharged 304 R3 mis-classed as a 2 Barrel.
                                Last edited by StudeRich; 09-10-2019, 11:48 PM.
                                StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                                X