1963 R2 Lark "The Whistler"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistler In The News

Mike found these news articles from 1963..

Quarter Mile speeds of 102mph @13.92 sec

Last edited by SScopelli; 07-14-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Well Mike that's is a great find. The photo with Ray Tanner Chuck and Floyed The whistler and the Championship trophy. I don't think it gets any better then that! It's funny how things surface on the web .Just a matter of using different combinations and wording to search great articles like this. The interesting thing is that the Arizona Republic printed out race results . For the surrounding tracks in the area. But I guess we're talking 1963 not much news back then. So more to come as it's found.

Comment

• 'Great finds, guys; keep it up. It's good to see all that press from back in the day. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• What can you buy for $528

Interesting question...

What can you buy for $528?

Well, in 1969, In Tucson Ariz, it appears that you could buy a "Slightly" used, Low Low miles, 63 Studebaker only driven on weekend for $528, With 16 payments of $10.88..

WhatCanUBuy by s blazel 20508, on Flickr

Comment

• I wonder it Bob Haase, the proprietor, is still alive. It would be interesting to know how it ended up on his lot in the first place.

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              I wonder it Bob Haase, the proprietor, is still alive. It would be interesting to know how it ended up on his lot in the first place.

Craig
              HAASE, Robert A., 85, of Tucson, passed away on April 8, 2008. Born August 16, 1922 in Milwaukee, WI,
              Robert has lived in Tucson for over 60 years. He is survived by his loving wife, Betty; sons, Curtis (Nancy),
              Charles; grandchildren, Matthew, Kari, Collin; three great-grandchildren, Alexis, Mackenzie and Madison;
              one sister, Sister Bernice; brother-in-law, Richard Sonnenberg, plus many other loving relatives and friends.
              Robert served his country with the USAF from 1944-1946. In addition to owning a used car dealership,
              Robert was a member of Tucson Elks Lodge 385, SCORE, VFW # 4903, St. Josephs Catholic Church as an usher,
              as well as being a broker for cemetery property.

Looks like he was an Usher at the same church I attended in Tucson on Craycroft Rd,

Comment

• If the car is being restored to its former glory as a drag racer, perhaps its time to weld in an X member?
                sals54

Comment

• Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                  Looks like he was an Usher at the same church I attended in Tucson on Craycroft Rd,
                  Thanks for the update.

It appears you were already on the case!

Craig

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  If the car is being restored to its former glory as a drag racer, perhaps its time to weld in an X member?
                  Why? It never had one in the first place.

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    Thanks for the update.
                    It appears you were already on the case!
                    Craig
                    Well, you mentioned it so, why not look..

I'm trying to figure out the "Dennis H Niel?????"

Comment

• Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                      I'm trying to figure out the "Dennis H Niel?????"
                      If you run that name (appears to be 'Niebuhr') by Chuck Naugle, it could ring a bell with him, provided he was the one Chuck got it from.

Craig

Comment

• Well you never know what's going to turn up on The Whistler. This simple receipt that I have found in a envelope of 62 63 titles that had been lost for about 6 years or so . The envelope of titles had slipped behind the filing drawers. Yes that simple receipt has become another key piece of history unlocking The Whistler history. Sebastian and Mike have tracked down the names on the receipt the dealer that it was sold from that gentleman his deceased. But the buyer Dennis Niebuhr it appears to be still around at 75 years young. Just waiting for a Facebook or email reply back for him .So we can unlock some more of the mystery behind the receipt. So now we know it was for sale in 1964 March. Post 116 shows markings on the window for sale and we know it was sold for sure in 1969 per new found simple paper receipt. Which I can't believe still exist. And Credit due to Chuck Naugal for keeping old paper work. Thanks for all the support. John Kroulik

Comment

• chrome valley cover

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
                          It is hard to tell but it looks like the valley cover is chrome. My Superlark (63V 28392) built in March 63 had a painted one. I had one R1 from a 63 Lark years ago that had a chrome valley cover but it was painted black with the engine. Does anyone know when valley covers were no longer chromed?
                          Ron Williams here . the valley cover on my dads 63 was chrome.

Comment

• Body & Paint Begins

Well, It has been a while.. Maybe unlike the hibernation in the winter from the midwest, Phoenicians hibernate in the hot summer months..

StudeJohn has made some great progress on "The Whistler" as you can see below.

Body161029_e

Body161029_c

Body161029_a

Body161029_d

222/23,891

Comment

• Awesome! Excellent progress on this historically significant vehicle!!

Craig

Comment

• Beautiful work on that neat 1/4 Miler!

I wonder if any judge would actually notice, if one were to weld up those 2 ugly groups of 6 holes in the Firewall for the 6 Cyl. Throttle Bellcrank Shaft crossover from Left to Right?

Of course they are not so obvious when the Firewall Liner is in place, but still not pretty and can leak.
                                StudeRich
                                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                                X