No announcement yet.

1963 R2 Lark "The Whistler"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the floor all done, time to remover the frame...

Time to rid it of undercoating.

Now all this contraption needs is a piece of cheese to attract the next rodent.

Spiffy clean, and the welds look great from the bottom as well..

Ready to go to the strip joint,

uh,

I mean strip tank to get it down to bare metal.

Last edited by SScopelli; 07-28-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Great, guys; thanks for the continuing reports. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• The pictures show the cuts and welds at the back of the floor.
        How much of the donor floor was used at the front ?
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

• The hole floor and fire wall was replaced. So 95% of the welding was in the rear. Rust damage and drive shaft damage. The original rocker panels were saved. Just two welds up front . Thanks for asking. John

Comment

• Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
            The pictures show the cuts and welds at the back of the floor.
            How much of the donor floor was used at the front ?
            Go to Page 4 of this string for better Pics of the front floor.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

• Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Go to Page 4 of this string for better Pics of the front floor.
              Yes, before posting I did go to Page 4. That's why I posted.
              Page 4
              Post 133, Picture 1:
              rust on door post around light switch.
              heavy rust on A pillar from top to bottom.
              rust under cowl all the way across.
              Post 152, Picture 5:
              blue paint on A pillar.
              light rust under cowl.
              Then on to Page 5.
              Post 166, Picture 3:
              no rust around light switch at door post.
              at A pillar-blue paint 2/3 of the way up, then rust.
              Post 166, picture 5:
              clearer view of left A pillar at his left hand.
              a clear view of the right side A pillar, blue 2/3 up then rust.
              Is that clean metal just below his left hand ?
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

• If you take a bit of a closer look at an original picture, you can see the makings of a primitive traction bar...

This one mounts at the rear body mount by the front spring bolt..

This one is mid-frame

While this helped in the ETs, it left a world of hurt on the frame..

Note the ones from the pictures with one at the rear body support by the front spring bracket, and the other about mid frame..

Also some remnants of serious track abuse...

After some talk back and forth it was decided to repair the frame and remove the mid body mounts, of which only the clumpy welds of the bracket remained, while leaving the front spring mounts in tact.

While it will be a restore, it should be able to keep some of its track legends and scars.

The removed parts can be kept as wall art in the garage!

Last edited by SScopelli; 07-28-2017, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• Factory Photos?

A color photo of a 63 Regal body ready to be painted..

Well, almost ready..

I hope all are home safe and in good spirits after the meet in St. Louis!

All the paint, seam sealer and undercoating is gone..

Bare metal..

You have to look hard to see the floor repair..

One more session and it should be clean all around..

Last edited by SScopelli; 07-28-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Cool beans, Seb; that is impressive.

The floor repair isn't at all apparent and looks very good. Seriously. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Thank you Sabation for posting pix for me and thanks all who are posting along with it. This is for 55 56 Prez 4dr thanks for showing so much interest. Post 166 bottom pix in the posting right about the area were my hands resting is were the cuts were made in the front and rewelded though out the post itself and then cap and welded. I will see if Sab will post the pix.The frame is under repair removed some traction bar mount from former race days .To much frame damage to leave there .But will leave one set on the spring purchase for Whistler history . There were 3 sets welded to the frame . There welding skills were Stone Age type welds. I'm pick up the body this week from the shop that is Vatting it. Its been there three weeks now. Should be shinny as new penny though out the body. It's a long process. Not the stuff they used to use. E P A has something to do with that . Thanks John

Comment

• Hey! I am in Apache Junction right now, and would love to come see this car, if you are up for visitors from the Great White North. Shoot me a private message via the Forum if you wish.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

• John, sorry if you answered this already - in what form are you going to bring the car back in, as raced, complete with the lettering on the side, or factory stock?

One of my favorite Larks - I have a picture of the Whistler hanging here in my office!
                          Eric DeRosa

\'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
                          \'63 R2 Lark (the money-pit-mobile)
                          \'60 Lark Convertible (project in waiting)

Comment

• It's going back to Ray Tanner race ready. The Whistler with all its lettering on the side. Should I put you on the list of guys that would like to drive down the track some day ? Not that there's a list but I sure can start one. Thanks John

Comment

• Originally posted by studejohn View Post
                              It's going back to Ray Tanner race ready. The Whistler with all its lettering on the side. Should I put you on the list of guys that would like to drive down the track some day ? Not that there's a list but I sure can start one. Thanks John
                              Hey John, Let the record show that I want to be on that list!
                              Mike Lynch
                              Sunnyslope, AZ

"Be kind and civil. Allow that you may be mistaken; allow that others will make mistakes, be gracious. If you're going to contribute, try to make it worthwhile."
                              Alan Taylor

Comment

• I would be happy to ride in the back seat! Sign me up as first in the back seat!

Bob Miles
                                Tucson AZ

Comment

Working...
                                X