1963 R2 Lark "The Whistler"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor Update

When last visit of "The Whistler," it was in serious need of some floor repair...

From this view it looked ok,

But after digging out the tar, bondo and JB Weld, the Track Modification became fairly obvious.

Plus some corrosive rust damage..

John made a template of where he wanted to surgically remove the old pan. Also cuts were made as to keep some of the original mount doublers, so a few spot welds needed to be removed..

After removing the spot welds on the sil plates and rockers, the floor was ready to remove..

Floor completely removed..

The donor floor came from a 4 door 4-speed, and was trimmed up per the template.

The donor floor is now installed for final fitting..

Next comes the Welding..
    Last edited by SScopelli; 07-28-2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Some more fitting of the two floor pans..

And the welding begings..

This is John's Son Colton..

Last edited by SScopelli; 07-28-2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• The last pieces were fitted and tac welded in..

Looks like the The Whistler will have a solid floor again..

If you notice by the tip of the claw of the hammer, you can see the original frame doubler was re-tacked to the new floor pan...

Not bad for a weeks worth of work..
        Last edited by SScopelli; 07-28-2017, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• Very nice, Seb; thanks for the update. Now, tell Colton to wear long pants and a proper welding a shirt before he gets seriously burned with unexpected spatter. (This is the former Industrial Arts teacher speaking here....) BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• I was thinking of arc burn, as painful as sun burn. Speaking from experience.

Comment

• Thank you Sab for posting the pix. Happy Fathers Day to all. My son has been a vary big help on the car. His welding skills have come a long ways. But our life safety needs work , thanks for pointing that out Bob. Will work on that. The repairs are just about done . Next Chemical dip for the body and then comes Eitching primer Rust prevention and seam filler for the body . Wish me Luck. Thanks John

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Very nice, Seb; thanks for the update. Now, tell Colton to wear long pants and a proper welding a shirt before he gets seriously burned with unexpected spatter. (This is the former Industrial Arts teacher speaking here....) BP
                I was thinking the same thing. BTW Bob, I didn't know that you were a former IA teacher too.
                sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

• Studebaker often used the "I" instead of the "1".
                  Rumor is that the "1" stamp was lost.
                  It was a special size steel stamp and I do not know if anyone
                  reproduced the type.

Robert Kapteyn
                  Last edited by rkapteyn; 06-21-2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Studebaker often used the "I" instead of the "1".
                    It was a special size steel stamp and I do not know if anyone reproduced the type.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

• Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                      Studebaker often used the "I" instead of the "1".
                      It was a special size steel stamp and I do not know if anyone
                      reproduced the type.

Robert Kapteyn
                      I think that it started from keeping the number of dies down (6/9) and earlier typewriters, even IBM electric ones, did not have a 1 (one) key, as we now have on more modern typewriters and of course on computer keyboards. It was common practice to use the l (lower case L) for a 1 (one). For the generation prior to ours, an I (upper case i) was used for a 1 (one).
                      Last edited by studegary; 06-21-2015, 02:42 PM. Reason: remove extraneous letters
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• John, I remember when Colton won the Studebaker Jr wagon replica in a Zone meet in Phoenix many years ago. Does he still have it? It was my pleasure to play the piano after dinner that night and Karen Mensing yelled Yippee when Colton's name was drawn.

Bob Miles
                        Tucson Az

Comment

• Yes Bob he still has it. Will post pix for ya soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            I think that it started from keeping the number of dies down (6/9) and earlier typewriters, even IBM electric ones, did not have a 1 (one) key, as we now have on more modern typewriters and of course on computer keyboards. It was common practice to use the l (lower case L) for a 1 (one). For the generation prior to ours, an I (upper case i) was used for a 1 (one).
                            Very interesting. I just got through looking at images of vintage typewriters. [due to this post]
                            No number "1".
                            Pretty much explains the "I" used by Studebaker.
                            Thank You.
                            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

• Yeppers...
                              Just burned my neck (T-shirt v neck) and my right armpit (sleeve droop) last weekend...
                              Pretty good 1st degree burn.
                              Just above the long glove top and just under the helmet... TIG burn...

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                              I was thinking of arc burn, as painful as sun burn. Speaking from experience.
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

• Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                                John, I remember when Colton won the Studebaker Jr wagon replica in a Zone meet in Phoenix many years ago. Does he still have it? It was my pleasure to play the piano after dinner that night and Karen Mensing yelled Yippee when Colton's name was drawn.

Bob Miles
                                Tucson Az
                                Here's a photo of Kolton sitting in that "Studebaker Jr" wagon.

I don't know but wonder if he was thinking, "What good is a goat wagon if you don't have a goat to pull it?"

Kolton and his sister Makenna enjoying another Studebaker meet from inside the wagon.

And how about those overalls? Must have come from "The Inventor of Studebaker" and the Founder of the "Studebaker Truck Farmers", Chuck Naugle!

Hee-Haw!

And here he is today... wearing the exact same smile!

Life is good when you have lots of Studebaker Adventures!

Mike Lynch
                                Sunnyslope, AZ

"Be kind and civil. Allow that you may be mistaken; allow that others will make mistakes, be gracious. If you're going to contribute, try to make it worthwhile."
                                Alan Taylor

Comment

Working...
                                X