Information about a 1963 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information about a 1963 GT Hawk

I have a friend that just bought a 1963 GT Hawk. To look at the car it would have been a Super Hawk, but it just has the 289 in it. The car came with power disc brakes, power steering, power shift automatic, with a tach and a clock and all the other gauges. The body number is 63V25651. It sounds strange to me that the way it was equipped, just to have a 289 in it. The motor that is in it, by the numbers on it, is in the right vicinity of the 1963 model car. P101487 Just wondering if it is the right motor for the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
    Last edited by dusty taylor; 03-18-2013, 06:20 PM.

Dusty Taylor

The way this Car was ordered is very common, this is the way you would want a Personal/Family Sports Car to be equipped if you could afford to "do it right".

If you were more of a Performance oriented guy, and could afford bad mileage and Premium Fuel, you might opt for the R1 or R2, but MOST Studebaker owners would not do that.

It is VERY unlikely that this would be a Jet Thrust equipped car OR a full Super Hawk.

The "Tech Tips, Specs and Data Link from the home page tells it all under "Studebaker V8 Engine Indentification."

From the Chart: P101487; is a 289 '63 Lark or Hawk Engine.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-18-2013, 07:26 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Most of the 1963 Hawks I have owned (I've owned 26 or 27) came equipped with power disc brakes, power steering, a clock and a tach. A few of them also had the power shift automatic and twin traction. I think the Hawk you're describing was fairly common. Just my two cents.

Joe

Originally posted by dusty taylor View Post
      I have a friend that just bought a 1963 GT Hawk. To look at the car it would have been a Super Hawk, but it just has the 289 in it. The car came with power disc brakes, power steering, power shift automatic, with a tach and a clock and all the other gauges. The body number is 63V25651. It sounds strange to me that the way it was equipped, just to have a 289 in it. The motor that is in it, by the numbers on it, is in the right vicinity of the 1963 model car. P101487 Just wondering if it is the right motor for the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
      sigpic

1962 Daytona
      1964 Cruiser
      And a few others

Comment

Thanks for the help. Dusty

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Was Powershift available on '63 Hawks and Larks? I thought I read that it was not available until the '64 model year. My memory may be playing tricks on me again...
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            Was Powershift available on '63 Hawks and Larks? I thought I read that it was not available until the '64 model year. My memory may be playing tricks on me again...
            Yes, and yes!

It was late in the 1963 Model Year Run, close to the time that recessed Parking Light Housings/Lenses and simulated Walnut Trimmed Radio and Glove Box Panels appeared in '63 GT Hawks.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Yes, and yes!

It was late in the 1963 Model Year Run, close to the time that recessed Parking Light Housings/Lenses and simulated Walnut Trimmed Radio and Glove Box Panels appeared in '63 GT Hawks.
              Thanks for the information Rich. Maybe I will remember this now.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
              X