Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studded snow tires needed for '64 Daytona convertible.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No studs allowed in Ontario, but I think Nova Scotia still allows them. You can hear them coming down the road. Always out of province plates.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Nice clear day for a drive there! Glad you could make the most of it.

Started another round of snow and wind here yesterday. I'll probably need to get the snow blower out to clear my driveway when I get home. Forecast is calling for -6F tonight and -9F tomorrow night so I should do the cleanup while its still "warm" at about +15-20F and the blower likely to start w/o extra efforts.

My dad passed away 1yr ago last week and at the funeral it was warm and dry. No need for coats even. My diary entry for when I got home from that on March 18, 2012 was it was 80F out... So today 1 yr later its 17F out and nearly whiteout snow blizzard.

Sure will be glad when spring does come. Got some serious cabin fever going.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Brent,there's something missing ???? oh I know ! there should be some skis on the back seat and up over the top of the wind shield. <GGG>
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
          Seeing that Christopher got his 1940 Champion out for the season this week, I decided I should also get a Studebaker out on the road and did so today....despite a 20 F degree temperature and lots of snow on the ground. I fired up the convertible (hasnt been run since early October) and took it for a short drive with the top down on the nearby gravel township roads (no road salt used on these roads). With the sun shining brightly, I felt warm enough and I enjoyed the drive despite experiencing terrible traction.

I've run Studes in the winter for many years using snow tires with and without studs......I've found that as long as the snow tires have good tread, the studs really don't add that much extra traction. (Although on glare ice studs definitely help!) Downside is the racket they make on dry pavement....and the fact that they wear down very quickly and lose their effect.

Comment

i'm curious: does anyone use tire chains nowadays? in the 80's when i worked in L.A. County and lived in Hesperia, Ca, the CHP would stop all traffic going up Cajon Pass (I-15) when the first snowflake fell - "chains required". 4X4's could go up with snow tires...
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
              i'm curious: does anyone use tire chains nowadays? in the 80's when i worked in L.A. County and lived in Hesperia, Ca, the CHP would stop all traffic going up Cajon Pass (I-15) when the first snowflake fell - "chains required". 4X4's could go up with snow tires...
              I keep a set of tire chains in the trunk of My '83 Avanti (Have for years) But have never yet had to stop and install them.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                I keep a set of tire chains in the trunk of My '83 Avanti (Have for years) But have never yet had to stop and install them.
                i had a chain break on my '74 Corvette, left rear, and tore up the fiberglass. one of those "mandated", but not necessary, requirements driving "up the hill".
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                  i had a chain break on my '74 Corvette, left rear, and tore up the fiberglass. one of those "mandated", but not necessary, requirements driving "up the hill".
                  That's tough!.....I think Corvettes sit lower than Avantis, and the wheel openings are 'tighter' around the tires....so if a chain snapped and started to whip it surely would result in torn up fiberglass....OUCH!!!!

Comment

"I'd rather work in the deep snow getting some exercise than working out at a fitness club. Working out in the outdoors doesnt require any membership dues."

Plus, instead of paying to run in place like a hampster and accomplishing nothing...Your labor benefitted you in many ways. My father-in-law, who always needed help keeping the summer camp operating, never could fathom the young summer staffers as they jogged by his house. He said, "If they've got so darned much energy, I've got plenty of ditches that need digging!"
                    Firewood warms you three times: When you cut it, when you haul it, and when you burn it.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I just checked the weather forecast for Wednesday (the first day of Spring) and the high will only be 18 F degrees! Strange weather, I may take the convertible for a drive again that day as a means of protest!
                      As for exercise, I wouldnt mind pedaling a stationary bicycle if it would turn a generator to power my television and refridgerator. I want to see immediate accomplishments when I exercise.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                      X