Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible for there to be any less metal in a car and still hold together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2R Truck Seeker
    replied
    True... mousies built nests in the windshield header of my '41 Chevy Dump-truck, and rotted that out pretty thoroughly.

The insidious thing about animal waste fumes ( as in a barn ) is that there doesn't have to be any physical contact between the manure / urine and the iron... I've been in plenty of old barns that were wired with steel conduit or BX armored cable, and after 20-30 years, that stuff would just crumble.

Worse than coastal salt-air...

Frank McM.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by 2R Truck Seeker View Post
    Wow. I have to wonder if this car was stored in a barn with livestock... animal waste give-off highly corrosive fumes.
    I was thinking it could have been mousepiss that may have rusted out the dash. Mousepiss is also corrosive.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• drpreposterous
    replied
    The word "metastasized" comes to mind...

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Immerse this thing in a de-rust tank and you'd be lucky to fish out some frame rails and drivetrain components!

Leave a comment:

• 2R Truck Seeker
    replied
    Wow. I have to wonder if this car was stored in a barn with livestock... animal waste give-off highly corrosive fumes.

I have seen old farm-trucks that were kept in the cowbarn... they had excellent paint, but lots of rust in very strange places, locations where you wouldn't see rust on a road-vehicle or field-find...

My '41 De Soto is one such vehicle... was kept in a horse-barn.

As for primer "keeping the oxygen away from the metal", I think it's a little late for that.

Leave a comment:

• evilhawk
    replied
    Ive seen a lot rustier cars than that. In fact, thats not really too bad compared to some of the cars I see here along the rust belt!

Leave a comment:

• spokejr
    replied
    Craig,

Thanks for the link, I'm too new here to have seen those the first time around. Lee's Lark is kinda what I was imagining is soon to happen with the coupe I linked to.

Cheers,

Ken

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Some 'winners' were posted here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=rustiest Lee's '60 Lark that broke in two has to be my favorite!!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Rust - What rust? Just this week, I was involved in a conversation between two other guys that were discussing a car (not a Studebaker) that split in half when it was picked up to be towed. Not the first that I have heard of this happening. I remember a 1955 Speedster that was so rusty that the door skin pulled off when the boss pulled on the driver's door handle. That Speedster became a national winner.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    Primer is a good thing.....it keeps oxygen away from metal, and since the glass will be replaced why not paint over it? Doing something, anything to help preserve it is a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    It looks like he simply dipped the entire car in a vat of primer.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    I'm heading by there Monday..
    Might check it out...

Leave a comment:

• JimC
    replied
    Eh, I've seen worse. The floors are all shot, but I think it has potential, especially if there's someone who is looking for this particular model. There aren't a lot of these out there, and if the price stays low, it could be a good deal. I only wish they hadn't painted everything (including the windows!) with that red primer. It makes it hard to tell where the good ends and the rough begins.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    I think the paint is holding it together. I wonder why they painted the glass, too. It's covering a lot of something.

Leave a comment:

• 63 R2 Hawk
    replied
    Would make a good quarter mile car, since it's so light......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X