Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible for there to be any less metal in a car and still hold together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible for there to be any less metal in a car and still hold together?

Wow, I thought I had seen some serious rot (in spite of living my whole life in So Cal) but this one beats all. Fred Flintstone had better protection of his feet than this one.

I have never seen rust through on a dash panel either, well until now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1940-...item35c572917b

Cheers,

Ken

Would make a good quarter mile car, since it's so light......

Comment

I think the paint is holding it together. I wonder why they painted the glass, too. It's covering a lot of something.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Eh, I've seen worse. The floors are all shot, but I think it has potential, especially if there's someone who is looking for this particular model. There aren't a lot of these out there, and if the price stays low, it could be a good deal. I only wish they hadn't painted everything (including the windows!) with that red primer. It makes it hard to tell where the good ends and the rough begins.
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I'm heading by there Monday..
          Might check it out...
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It looks like he simply dipped the entire car in a vat of primer.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Primer is a good thing.....it keeps oxygen away from metal, and since the glass will be replaced why not paint over it? Doing something, anything to help preserve it is a good thing.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Rust - What rust? Just this week, I was involved in a conversation between two other guys that were discussing a car (not a Studebaker) that split in half when it was picked up to be towed. Not the first that I have heard of this happening. I remember a 1955 Speedster that was so rusty that the door skin pulled off when the boss pulled on the driver's door handle. That Speedster became a national winner.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Some 'winners' were posted here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=rustiest Lee's '60 Lark that broke in two has to be my favorite!!

Craig

Comment

Craig,

Thanks for the link, I'm too new here to have seen those the first time around. Lee's Lark is kinda what I was imagining is soon to happen with the coupe I linked to.

Cheers,

Ken

Comment

Ive seen a lot rustier cars than that. In fact, thats not really too bad compared to some of the cars I see here along the rust belt!

Comment

Wow. I have to wonder if this car was stored in a barn with livestock... animal waste give-off highly corrosive fumes.

I have seen old farm-trucks that were kept in the cowbarn... they had excellent paint, but lots of rust in very strange places, locations where you wouldn't see rust on a road-vehicle or field-find...

My '41 De Soto is one such vehicle... was kept in a horse-barn.

As for primer "keeping the oxygen away from the metal", I think it's a little late for that.

Comment

Immerse this thing in a de-rust tank and you'd be lucky to fish out some frame rails and drivetrain components!
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The word "metastasized" comes to mind...

Comment

Originally posted by 2R Truck Seeker View Post
                              Wow. I have to wonder if this car was stored in a barn with livestock... animal waste give-off highly corrosive fumes.
                              I was thinking it could have been mousepiss that may have rusted out the dash. Mousepiss is also corrosive.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X