1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
      I bet you wouldn't say that to his face.... I know I wouldn't. I'd never mess with James West or Pappy Boyington.
      He is (or was now that he's almost 80) quite a tough guy.

Jim Davis was a customer of my fatyer-in-law's business back in the day...along with another old cowboy actor named Reagan.
      Davis also starred in a late 50s TV show called Rescue 8....a pre-Emergency rescue show that was before my time.
      Not really, he had small man complex, a friend build his home in the California mountains and Conrad took him for over $100,000.00 on the deal friend lost his house paying off the lumber bill and extras, I was in the house just after he finished it and hanging on the large stone fireplace was his own picture of him in Centennial, picture also made him look like a big man but he wasn't then and still is not. tough guy ? he wanted every one to think he was. SOB is what is was and is.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

I'll go with Bo and Pat. I think it's Jock Ewing.
        Neil Thornton

Comment

C'mon Bob. Quit joshing us. We all know that is you before your facial hair grew out, and your hairline went up! LOL!
          Last edited by fastfritz; 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM.
          Frank Remlinger
          Detroit, Michigan
          SDC# A004602R

Comment

Originally posted by fastfritz View Post
            C'mon Bob. Quit joshing us. We all know that is you before your facil hair grew out, and your hairline went up! LOL!
            YOU are funny, Frank. In 1956, I was ten years old....but was involved with a new 1956 Hawk....this very 1956 Golden Hawk in which I sat and smelled the new leather at my Dad's dealership before it was delivered to the original owner:

from this building:

BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob you are young. 10 years old in 56 and I got my drivers license in august of 55. And I still want that Rambler cross country.

Comment

If you google image Jim Davis and Studebaker you get this 1956 ad.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                  Bob you are young. 10 years old in 56 and I got my drivers license in august of 55. And I still want that Rambler cross country.
                  Well, Carl, I hope not too many bricks fell on the Rambler when that building was razed about five years ago.

'Sorry to say, here is a 2011 photograph taken from exactly the same vantage point as the earlier photo with the Cross Country along side. In this photo, you see the north end of the curb cut for the drive to the used car lot that was on the north side of the building. (In the earlier photo, you see the south side of that same curb cut):

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

yep, no doubt it's Jim Davis.

i watched "Rescue 8" in the early '60's (reruns, i think). i have also watched all of the "Dallas" episodes, TV movies and the reboot on TNT. the only "soap opera" type of show i'll admit to watching...
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I watched an episode of Bonanza yesterday. Jim was in Virginia City playing a crooked Horse trader trying to beat Ben and Hoss out of a string of Horses.
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                        I also had a driver's license in August 1955, but I have no interest in owning that Cross Country.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          YOU are funny, Frank. In 1956, I was ten years old....but was involved with a new 1956 Hawk....this very 1956 Golden Hawk in which I sat and smelled the new leather at my Dad's dealership before it was delivered to the original owner:

from this building:

BP
                          Solid 'Cambridge Grey' probably isn't the most flattering color for a 56J...but it IS always nice to see a car brought back to 'as built' (or at least 'as delivered'!)

Comment

I first saw Jim Davis in the TV series, Stories of the Century, which was the first western to win an Emmy. He could play both good and bad guys very well.
                            Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                            jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Working...
                            X