Studebaker parts continue to surprise you---would have lost that bet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker parts continue to surprise you---would have lost that bet

I am back to inventorying some of my parts and was working on some grills today. I have two for 58 cars and I thought they were the same. I discovered today that the Champion grill is different from the president /commander. I have seen many 58 cars over the years and this fact never occurred to me. The champion grill is flat and the commander grill comes to a point in the center. This kind of surprises me considering the way Studebaker conserved $ in 58 by hanging all those extra parts on the headlights etc on a basic 57 body but yet they had two different grills. I would have bet money that they would have been the same.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Little things like that are why one model may look better to you that another and you can't say why. Interesting.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sure somebody didn't hit a goat, or something?
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

When I compare the two, which do have different part numbers, I also noticed that the vertical bracing on the two is different. the commander one which has a point in the center has an extra brace in the very center which the champ does not have. These are both NOS grills.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

If I remember right - there's a difference between the Commander and President grilles that year as well.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X