Heads-Up: VR-1 Racing Oil Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads-Up: VR-1 Racing Oil Sale

O'Reilly Auto Parts has Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil on sale through March 26 for $3.99 per quart:

This is an excellent price for an oil that already has enough ZINC/ZDDP in it for our Studebaker (and other) engines with flat-tappet valve trains. I'm not into recommending one brand over another, but I can't remember when I've seen adequate-ZDDP oil on sale for such a low price.

Most O'Reilly stores have it in straight 30, 40, and 50 weights and 10W30 and 20W-50 viscosities, so you've got a good choice based on your climate and preferences. I just got back from our local O'Reilly's with two 12-quart cases of 10W-30 for my Studebakers and other collector cars, as there is a limit of 24 quarts per customer.

'Don't know when we'll again see a price this low for the oil our flat-tappet engines need without having to add a ZDDP supplement, so stock up if you can afford it! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    O'Reilly Auto Parts has Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil on sale through March 26 for $3.99 per quart:

This is an excellent price for an oil that already has enough ZINC/ZDDP in it for our Studebaker (and other) engines with flat-tappet valve trains. I'm not into recommending one brand over another, but I can't remember when I've seen adequate-ZDDP oil on sale for such a low price.

Most O'Reilly stores have it in straight 30, 40, and 50 weights and 10W30 and 20W-50 viscosities, so you've got a good choice based on your climate and preferences. I just got back from our local O'Reilly's with two 12-quart cases of 10W-30 for my Studebakers and other collector cars, as there is a limit of 24 quarts per customer.

'Don't know when we'll again see a price this low for the oil our flat-tappet engines need without having to add a ZDDP supplement, so stock up if you can afford it! BP
    And the nearest O'Reilly to me is... (a long way)
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul, I know they are now coast-to-coast and have over 4,000 stores, per the manager at the distribution center here in Brownsburg where I had to go to pick up all I wanted to buy. (That DC is two blocks from their retail store, so it made more sense to go over to the will-call window than go back to the store the next day when they had all I wanted to buy.) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yeah - there's one about 3 miles from my house. I think I'll get a couple cases. Thanks Bob.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
          Yeah - there's one about 3 miles from my house. I think I'll get a couple cases. Thanks Bob.
          OK, Bob. AFAIK, the sale is nationwide; there was no indication of this price being local to this market.

Please let us know if you find out otherwise. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Bob, thanks for the Heads-Up. I just got back from O'Reilly buying all they had with a case coming in tomorrow. I hope you make it to Colorado Springs and I'll buy you an adult beverage of your choice. I took the '50 for the errand and turns out the lady that helped me has a boyfriend working on a '65 Daytona and a gentleman in the lot had an interesting history with late '40s Studebakers.
            Perry
            \'50 Business Champion
            \'50 Starlight Champion
            \'60 Lark Convertible,
            \'63 GT R1,
            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

This is a very bad thing.

I've been TRYING to save up money, but every time I do, someone goes and posts an ad like this.

Maybe I'll get lucky and when I get there they'll be sold out. But I doubt it.

'63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Jim, all O'Reillys in the Omaha area have next day service on most anything they are out of stock on. They are resupplied out of Des Moines, Ia. overnight.

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                This is a very bad thing.

I've been TRYING to save up money, but every time I do, someone goes and posts an ad like this.

Maybe I'll get lucky and when I get there they'll be sold out. But I doubt it.

Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

You're making this harder, Frank
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Yeah Jim, and theres an O'Reillys just down the street from here. I would gladly help you out if none of thes otherways worked out

Comment

thanks.. Going to get a couple cases this weekend..

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.
                        I'll pick some up for the Avanti...
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Use that product, but the closest stores are in VA, WV, and OH! Thanks for posting anyway. It is noticed on the locator map they have not entered the NE.
                          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
                            Use that product, but the closest stores are in VA, WV, and OH! Thanks for posting anyway. It is noticed on the locator map they have not entered the NE.
                            Ironically, Bob; they'll be there shortly.

I was talking with "the boss" at the Will Call window at our big O'Reilly Distribution Center yesterday. I asked him about O-Reilly's being coast-to-coast as I wanted to tell friends about this oil deal. He said O'Reilly had just bought the Parts portion of a large Tire & Parts chain in New England, and was about to expand into New England as a result.

The original company is keeping the tire business; O'Reilly is just assuming the parts business. He wasn't sure the name of the chain, but said it was a done deal. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Sale is on in Western Washington State. Our store only stocks 20/50 and straight 50 but will order other grades. Guy at the counter said he uses VR1 in his old Chevy.
                              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              53 Commander K overdrive*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...