Radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator

Has anyone installed an aluminum radiator with or without an electric fan? Working well? How much of a drop in running temp? I live in a hot spot in AZ so how does your location compare?

Thanks

I put one in my 3R11. Engine was bored .148 os makeing it 320 ci. Pulled my 25 foot rv to Glendale. When we left the valley, it was 107. North on I 17 with the a/c on, temp stayed at 200. Got the radiator from Ramseny[ not spelled right] Radiator in Pheonix. It was for a 66 Chevell.

Comment

I have a 64 Cruiser (all stock) with A/c & am facing a radiator repair (at least) & am considering the "best" & most economical route to go. Replace/repair/upgrade? Any comment or suggestions would be welcomed.

Comment

Economical maybe not but not a whole lot more. Best go with the aluminum you will never regret it. They cool so much better you wont believe it.
        Last edited by swvalcon; 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Don't mount a electric directly to the aluminum radiator mount it to the radiator support.

Comment

If you go with aluminum do not assume a 2 core, 1" tube version will be absolutely solve pre-existing cooling problems. It will cool a little better than an OEM three core, which has about 126 tubes, that are 1/2" wide. If an OEM 3 core has always done the job for your Stude, an aluminum 2 core will definitely fill the bill, and will be cheapest in price.

OTOH, if the OEM 3 core left a bit to be desired, i.e. a tight engine, or when running AC in a HOT climate and often stuck in traffic, go with a modern three core brass & copper. A modern one has about 180-195 tubes, which are 5/8" thick, for about 65-75 per cent greater cooling capacity, and improved fins over OEM to carry the heat away more efficiently. They are not cheap; last one I bought a year ago was $750, but I place a high priority on temp control of the engine, and want to be able to go in any clime & place.

Comment

I dropped a 259 in my M-5 and had a replica of the M5 radiator made in aluminum. While I could be happier with the cost (really, I should have just bought something that fit in the hole and saved myself $150), I couldn't be happier with the results. The fan only kicks in when idling in heavy traffic and when it does, the temperature drop is rapid.

Comment

Originally posted by gaboy View Post
                I have a 64 Cruiser (all stock) with A/c & am facing a radiator repair (at least) & am considering the "best" & most economical route to go. Replace/repair/upgrade? Any comment or suggestions would be welcomed.
                I'm in the exact same boat. I've had mine flushed and cleaned but the shop told me it is very very fin and fragile, when I sit in traffic it heats up fast. Is there an alumnimum version of something that will fit (not affraid to do some modding to get it in there)
                Will have to look up the specs for a 66 chevelle, but I think that will be too big

Comment

56 Commander Champion radiator 3 core for a Dodge Dart

Comment

I have always wondered if a modern radiator had smaller diameter tubes than an old radiator. My thinking is that "modern" has higher engine temperature and slower flow, while "old" has lower temperature and greater flow rate.

I have no actual evidence to support this theory. Is it whacky?
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                      56 Commander Champion radiator 3 core for a Dodge Dart
                      That looks rather clean. Now I just wonder the dimentions of the radiator support and if its close to the cruiser one... visually it looks very close, I'm gona have to do some measuring this weekend .

Thank you for the picture

Comment

Radiators have only ONE Core. They do come in which the tubes are arranged in ROWS. Remember if you have a radiator "recored" (singlular) you only get one core but have the choice of either 2 or 3 rows.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                        X