Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Studebaker in the Muppets Movie (1979)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Studebaker in the Muppets Movie (1979)

I saw this and was quite happy to see a Studebaker in such a well known film... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMR5JVo21wQ
    Sure she may have 85hp, sure she may not be the most attractive or fastest thing out there, but she is the best car that represents me- 1953 Studebaker Champion Sedan

The Keystone Region Chapter hosted the 1980 SDC International in Gettysburg. We arranged to have "The Muppet Movie" on constant play in the conference room of the host hotel.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Kelii, that actual Muppet Movie Car is on display in The Studebaker National Museum in South Bend.

Check out their website; it might be visible. (I saw the car last Sunday when I was there, so I know it's still there!) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yes, but its in pretty rough shape. It looks like a family of bears, frogs, pigs and aliens have lived in it!

Comment

I read a article on it....they said they were raising money to restore it...I was rather confused about this car, it has a commander dash inside with champion headlights...
          Sure she may have 85hp, sure she may not be the most attractive or fastest thing out there, but she is the best car that represents me- 1953 Studebaker Champion Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
            Yes, but its in pretty rough shape. It looks like a family of bears, frogs, pigs and aliens have lived in it!
            Yes and no, Paul. The major deterioration is the exterior, because it sat in a movie lot in the hot southern California sun getting baked for years after the movie had been made. And the graphics, as I understand it, were of a temporary nature such that they had far less durability than conventional automobile paint.

OTOH, I don't think the interior was all that nice to begin with, also from what I understand. Like many such cars, it was tarted up to look far better in the movie than it actually was in real life. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 57Kelii View Post
              I read a article on it....they said they were raising money to restore it...I was rather confused about this car, it has a commander dash inside with champion headlights...

It's a 51. The headlights are the same on Champion and Commander models.
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

There were actually two cars. The one for distance shots was driven by someone in a Fozzy bear costume. The one for close up shots was driven by a "little person" in the trunk using remote controls and a TV camera mounted where the bullet nose used to be. That's why both cars have the plastic bullet removed.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

A little history on this car.It was bought by an Orange Empire Chapter member after the studio had left it sit outside for a few years. It was taken to El Monte, CA and sat behind his garage for along time. He donated it to the museum. Unsure of dates.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

A little history on this car. It was bought by an Orange Empire Chapter member after the studio had left it sit outside for a few years. It was taken to El Monte, CA and sat behind his garage for along time. He donated it to the museum. Unsure of dates.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

Working...
                    X