Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti involved in divorce settlement - Help please! Pics included now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti involved in divorce settlement - Help please! Pics included now.

My soon-to-be exwife and her lawyer think my '63 Avanti is worth more than a new Corvette. In all honesty, I need some honest opinions on actual value. I never expected to make $$$ on my investment in this car, just to fix it up and have fun driving it. And I still intend to do so for a long time.

I bought it from an eBay ad in 2009. The description was a bit over-embellished and I overpaid; "R2 auto, pwr steering, pwr disc brakes, pwr windows, needing paint, runs good, nice interior, no surface rust on rear support pipe, etc." It turned out to be an R2 with a replacement R1 engine and a super charger. I spent thousands on new paint, rechrome, bright package, new interior, windshield, new tires, electronic ignition, dual braking system, getting it to really run and replacing about 1000 parts. Now the car looks really good, runs fine and I like it. Even if it drinks high octane gas.

But, the question is: what's the actual value of this type car in today's 2013 economy? I'm ready to cry, but I'm hazarding a guess around $14.5k? My wife always hated this car (and Studebaker's in general). That's just one of the reasons she's gone and I'm now looking for ex-wife #3.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by edpjr; 02-23-2013, 11:15 AM.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Be careful with this one. Use an experienced appraiser VERY familiar with Studebakers. The NADA book and the other sites that place their guesstimations on these cars are almost always overly optimistic.
    Now, on the other hand, be careful with the other end of the equation as well. An estimate that appears to be "low balled", could come back and bite you in the b*tt badly.
    My condolences and good luck on the other side of this mess.
    sigpicsals54

Comment

Keep in mind it is only a car, go along with them and when they put the value on it tell them ok now you take and I will take something else of equal value, make her S...t or get off the pot if she takes the car there will be another one for you around the corner. It sounds like getting rid of her should be you first priority.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
        Keep in mind it is only a car, go along with them and when they put the value on it tell them ok now you take and I will take something else of equal value, make her S...t or get off the pot if she takes the car there will be another one for you around the corner. It sounds like getting rid of her should be you first priority.
        I think a word has been left out in the above post. I believe he means let her value it and then if she says its worth a lot more tell her to keep it.

I have a good freind who recently went through a complicated divorce since they had a lot of property. I gave him the same advice. In essence if the other side feels its worth so much more, don't get into a fight over it, let them take it....or sell it and divide the proceeds.....or over pay for it to her (you did originally but now you are wiser). And in the end I told my friend to never get too emotional about a few dollars one way or another. Peace of mind gained by being a little generous will give you a clear mind while scrapping for every dime will not make you feel better about yourself.

I had a divorce when I was young and had no property and a lot of debt. That was simple financially.

I have had several business partnerships. The first one when we split up we fought about values. In the end it was all for naught. By the time we got done arguing there was nothing of value left...the lawyers got it all. I have had several partnerships since then. When we get to a point where we don't agree on what to do next I either have bought out my partners or they bought out me. That is the better way to go and with no lawyers involved you can afford not to worry about an extra thousand or two.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Thank you all for the sympathy. It's not a pleasant situation. But all I'm really asking the SDC community for is what they think, based on current economic conditions, what my Avanti is worth in a cash sale? Trust me, you all won't hurt my feelings high or low. NADA values are ridiculous - same for my Corvette. btw the car has 127k miles (at least). I appreciate any help or estimates of value. I hate to rely just on eBay completed auctions. All the best... Next wife, if any, will have to like Studebakers as a pre-requisite to a releationship....
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Pictures, pictures, pictures. We can't tell anything without pictures. Rust?? Upholstery?? Drivetrain condition?? It all adds up.
            sigpicsals54

Comment

I have only 3 words for you. "Certified Independant Appraiser". That's the only value a judge will consider unless the 2 of you can agree on a value. OK, 2 more words, "Good Luck".
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                I have only 3 words for you. "Certified Independant Appraiser". That's the only value a judge will consider unless the 2 of you can agree on a value. OK, 2 more words, "Good Luck".
                Agreed.
                Perhaps a less expensive route is to show the judge a few published price guides. While perhaps not addressing your particular car, they should knock down any idea a Avanti is worth more than a new Corvette.
                And unlike something printed from the internet (which could be faked) or the opinions of some car guys, they should be viewed as unbiased.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I have a friend that does thorough appraisals.

Dwayne Jacobson

Comment

Sorry for your current situation. I agree an independent certified appraiser would be your best bet to establish a value both you and the soon to be ex can live with. Divorce and "loved cars" create a ton of emotions for all sides. Getting an independent mind in the equation may help you deal with your emotion as well as your wife's emotions. Good luck, been there and done that.
                    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

The car is only worth as much as anyone is prepared to pay for it

Comment

I'm not expecting anybody to go to court with me and I'm not ready for a certified appraiser. Thanks anyway. I've never known people on this forum to hesitate to give their opinions, but I'm literally begging for simple estimates, and I've yet to receive a single number or even a range.
                        Attached Files
                        edp/NC
                        \'63 Avanti
                        \'66 Commander

Comment

For your purposes 12-14K. If I remember correctly this car is an R-1 with a blower, not an R-2 correct? Steve

Reread your post and answered my own question. Steve
                          sigpic

Comment

i'd rethink about getting it appraised, the courts will generally take a notarized copy of the appraisal as the "gospel truth".

if it runs as good as it looks: $20,000 minimum.
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Good questions! There's no rust. JDP attested that the hog troughs were in excellent condition in 2009 and it's been garage stored ever since. When re-painted, it was taken all the way down to the skim coat and redone in the precise original color. Upholstery and carpet is brand spanking new, professionally done by Klassic Rides in Denver, NC, and cost thousands of $$$. Motor and transmission operate perfectly. Cranks easy, shifts smoothly, oil press = 60 psi, temp = 170-180F. And now I've provided pics.

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                              Pictures, pictures, pictures. We can't tell anything without pictures. Rust?? Upholstery?? Drivetrain condition?? It all adds up.
                              edp/NC
                              \'63 Avanti
                              \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X