Pictures of the altered GT frame with Jag, front clip and rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of the altered GT frame with Jag, front clip and rear end

Today after lifting the GT body off the frame I hosed it down and took a few pictures every thing is from an late 70's or early 80's Jag. the steering column was also save for the time binging, anyone interested PM me after looking at it the frame is really in good shape and could have the Studebaker parts put back on if someone wanted to....take a look

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Hummm..., and the SBC engine was a favorite transplant for the Jag's in that time period. Do you have any "before" pictures Bob?

Tom
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Could you take pictures of were the rear cradle was attached to the frame? I would think this type of mounting would put the rear too high in the air.

Comment

Wow, those front shock mounts sure don't impress me.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
          Could you take pictures of were the rear cradle was attached to the frame? I would think this type of mounting would put the rear too high in the air.
          Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
          Wow, those front shock mounts sure don't impress me.
          Well...I think the fact that this contraption is being dismantled is a pretty good hint that everything didn't work out so well
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

This set up is suppose to be a decent handleing Independent system. Most guy's build a little heavier upper shock mount but this one looks like it would work just not the most durable. Main problem is the steering shaft is set in so far it's hard to clear the motor and headers on most set ups.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
              Hummm..., and the SBC engine was a favorite transplant for the Jag's in that time period. Do you have any "before" pictures Bob?

Tom
              Before what tom? I got the car with out a engine or trans, no interior, no gauges, a 53 C/K front clip and a junk hood, not trunk, but here is a picture or 2 of when I got it.

and here it is now.

Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                Will these do?

Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Well...I think the fact that this contraption is being dismantled is a pretty good hint that everything didn't work out so well
                  No John working or not had nothing to do with it now, the past owner passed away and son had to get rid of a lot of cars and trucks and this was the only Studebaker, when I saw it and how nice the sheet metal was I got it for the doors, and fenders, also the 53 C/K front clip pieces that are already gone, the gas tank is near perfect, all glass was good except the windshield, door glass went up and down real easy, same with 1/4 windows, most of the items will be going on my grandsons 62 because they are better than his. body it really nice also and up for grabs.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

A big part of me would have wanted to rebuild as it was just to see. Do ypu know if it was ever finished like that or if it was just a stillborn project,I wonder how it handled like that. Still I dont dig how high it made the car ride, ofcourse its hard to tell without an engine what kind of stance it would actually have.

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                      A big part of me would have wanted to rebuild as it was just to see. Do ypu know if it was ever finished like that or if it was just a stillborn project,I wonder how it handled like that. Still I dont dig how high it made the car ride, ofcourse its hard to tell without an engine what kind of stance it would actually have.
                      It was never finished so can tell nothing about how it might have handled, as for the height here is a side picture of the car the back should be about right where it would end up but not the front with all the missing extra weight.

Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

I think a lot of us are curious as to whether this blend of parts was ever on the road. The welds visible in the rear look like painted popcorn holding that bracket in place. Interesting concept having an independent rear suspension. The front suspension with the rack and pinion rear mounted is also interesting, but the upper shock mounts do look different.
                        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                          No John working or not had nothing to do with it now, the past owner passed away and son had to get rid of a lot of cars and trucks and this was the only Studebaker, when I saw it and how nice the sheet metal was I got it for the doors, and fenders, also the 53 C/K front clip pieces that are already gone, the gas tank is near perfect, all glass was good except the windshield, door glass went up and down real easy, same with 1/4 windows, most of the items will be going on my grandsons 62 because they are better than his. body it really nice also and up for grabs.
                          Bob, no real knock was intended from me about this car. It is easy to sit in a recliner and type out snarky remarks on a computer and I was just having a little fun. I doubt there is anyone in the SDC with a better eye for a good deal than you when it comes to recovering and re-purposing, and re-homing a Studebaker. I respect that. However, that frame (from the pictures) looks awfully fragile and a bit dicey. If it would work well in actual road worthy performance...I'd like to see it. I like the wide looking wheels and tires and wonder if they would work without clearance issues.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                          X