3spd/od

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3spd/od

I have owned three 63 Wagonaire Studes that had three speed and overdrive transmissions. Now, it would seem to me that they (in FACT) do fit with the X-member frames.
    Everyone says they won't fit an Avanti. What's the difference? Same X-member. Where is the extra wheelbase length added to the frame?
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

I always thought the problem was with the Avanti floor pan/tunnel?
    Then there is the issue of trying to do any trans swap with the engine in place.
    But, as you know, Lew and I got his 4spd successfully out and in again.

Comment

The "Other" issue is that they would have chosen a "REAL" Transmission if they had their "druthers" to put an Overdrive 3 Speed in a 240 or 290 HP Avanti.

They would have used a T-85 O.D. with a R-11 O.D. not the T-86, as was the Std. 3 Speed Trans. they DID use only on R1's. And that may have been even worse of a fit in an Avanti.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The "Other" issue is that they would have chosen a "REAL" Transmission if they had their "druthers" to put an Overdrive 3 Speed in a 240 or 290 HP Avanti.

They would have used a T-85 O.D. with a R-11 O.D. not the T-86, as was the Std. 3 Speed Trans. they DID use only on R1's. And that may have been even worse of a fit in an Avanti.
        Yes I think this is correct.....The T-86 fit, but the T-85, physically bigger, just may not! This may explain why Studebaker didn't use it behind the R1 in the Avanti.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          Yes I think this is correct.....The T-86 fit, but the T-85, physically bigger, just may not! This may explain why Studebaker didn't use it behind the R1 in the Avanti.
          The T85 is exactly the same height/width as the T10. It's the length of the long tailshaft overdrive which concerned me. It's not easy to get a T10 in and out of an Avanti. I don't know if an overdrive would be possible.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            The T85 is exactly the same height/width as the T10. It's the length of the long tailshaft overdrive which concerned me. It's not easy to get a T10 in and out of an Avanti. I don't know if an overdrive would be possible.

jack vines
            Correct!.....It's all about that larger O/D unit and tail housing.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              Correct!.....It's all about that larger O/D unit and tail housing.
              For reference, IIRC a 700R4 is about 31" from bell housing front to end of output shaft. That fits in an 83 Avanti with the engine installed. So there is a reference length if that helps albeit with an SBC.

Bob
              , ,

Comment

I have a T 86/OD trans in my '64 Conv. When I replaced the clutch I first had to drain the trans (and OD) to remove the solenoid & gov. so I could slide the trans back into the X member to get the trans out of the bell. I have a T 85 OD trans in my '64 T Cab,I doubt it would fit with that bell for the 11" clutch. No I'm not even going to try since I just replaced the clutch & flywheel in the truck! Enough exercise for a while! Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
                X