Racing Season has Begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing Season has Begun

Another Studebaker stock car. This is Homer Drew, a Maine racing legend. Based on the Chevelle next to him, I should've seen this car, but if I did, I've forgotten. He was successful in everything he drove. I'd like to think he got a trophy or two with this '64.
    Attached Files
    Sue

I see that Danica Patrick has won the pole for the Daytona 500. First time a Lady has been up front.
    Good Luck, Pretty Lady!
    Neil Thornton

Comment

I went on line trying to find out more about this Studebaker racer, but came up with zero. Does anybody have any details about what looks to be a '64 or '65 Studebaker?
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Ahem... She wants to be called a 'girl'.... (she said the lady thing makes her sound....old...)

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
        I see that Danica Patrick has won the pole for the Daytona 500. First time a Lady has been up front.
        Good Luck, Pretty Lady!
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Joe,

I don't know if it's the picture, or my eyes, (probably the latter), but the door post and the rear roof panel appear to be '62 or 63, not the wide squared off '64-'66. What do you think? looks like a '64-6 front clip on a '62 or '63 body. A rear picture would answer this question.

Dan Miller
          Auburn, GA

Comment

That looks like the car in this video that I shot at Nashville in 1992.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7vNrMl4UkM

On my YouTube channel
            http://www.youtube.com/user/shifter44DB?feature=mhee
            Bill H
            Daytona Beach
            SDC member since 1970
            Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

The first car "JZ" with the 64 front clip, my brother had a similar car and we were told that the 64 front would not mate up with a 62 but that might only be with the four door cars. I believe if the windshields will swap in then the top of the firewall and such would take the clip. It is not the same car as in the Video. That car is a 64/65 with the flatter roof and no post.

If one looks closer at the picture the car has a tilt front so any body could have been used as the fenders and hood were cut up. It looks more like a 62 body from some aspects and then like a 63 but from the angle it's hard to tell.

Comment

Good Luck, Pretty Lady!

The ladies have been winning for decades in drag racing.
                In fact, Courtney Force took the Funny Car win at Pomona yesterday.
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Did you see the nasty crash Antron Brown had in his TF dragster? He walked away from it.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
                    Joe,

I don't know if it's the picture, or my eyes, (probably the latter), but the door post and the rear roof panel appear to be '62 or 63, not the wide squared off '64-'66. What do you think? looks like a '64-6 front clip on a '62 or '63 body. A rear picture would answer this question.

Dan Miller
                    Auburn, GA
                    Dan,
                    I think you are correct. The front clip looks to be from a '64,5, or 6, but the rest of the body is older probably a '62 or 3 like you said. I wonder what kind of power it used.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Looks like a 1961 body to me (with the later front).
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Did you see the nasty crash Antron Brown had in his TF dragster? He walked away from it.
                        He's probably feeling it today, Denny!
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
                          Joe,

Dan Miller
                          Auburn, GA
                          I noticed that too. The grille is also interesting, the spacing in the mesh is way too wide to be stock.
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris,
                            While he had the saws-all out, he just went on and eliminated all the small mesh in the grill. On mine the grill is stock...the right inboard headlight is the ram air tube to the air filter, and the left headlight is another ram air tube to the inner-cooler.

Dan Miller
                            Auburn, GA

Comment

Try this link for a page of websites about Homer:
                              http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&suge...w=1920&bih=962

And this one from the Maine Motorsports Hall of Fame (Homer was inducted in 2004):
                              http://mainevintageracecars.com/hofpages/2004.htm
                              John Clements
                              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X