gt hawk build date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gt hawk build date

Are the records any more avaliable today on build dates then they where years ago? The records that I got with the car is this. 1964 GT HAWK. Body #64vk6-1577, ENGINE #PN316, SERIAL# 64v19724. Theres a hand written letter with it that says one of the last 100 built maybe #50-90. That on the last day of production 31 hawks where built so that means this one was built on either the second or third to last day.And we know it was sold to first owner in may of 1964 with a window sticker of $3874.07.

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
    Are the records any more avaliable today on build dates then they where years ago? The records that I got with the car is this. 1964 GT HAWK. Body #64vk6-1577, ENGINE #PN316, SERIAL# 64v19724. Theres a hand written letter with it that says one of the last 100 built maybe #50-90. That on the last day of production 31 hawks where built so that means this one was built on either the second or third to last day.And we know it was sold to first owner in may of 1964 with a window sticker of $3874.07.
    Serial 64V-20202 is the last V8 Lark-type or Hawk built in South Bend, on Friday, 12/20/63. Hawk and Lark-type serial numbers were not differentiated. I do remember that the last Hawk was 64V-20197, a white car with blue interior that was sold new to the late John Griggs, I believe of California when the car was ordered and I think (accent on 'think'), later, Oregon. I do know for certain that that was the last serial-numbered Hawk.

I looked at all the last-day production orders in South Bend once. The serial number range of V8's was 111 cars (although previously I had seen the number '108' noted). So your car was not built on the last day but is indeed pretty close to the end.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Your can see a picture and info on 64V19724 on the GT Hawk Registry, www.studebakergthawkregistry.ca
      Barry Leppan
      GT Hawk Registry
      Last edited by studee64; 02-17-2013, 09:31 PM. Reason: wrong reference
      Barry Leppan
      Ontario, Canada
      64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
      GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

Steve: Just spend the money and get a copy of the Production Order from The Studebaker National Museum. That will tell you on what day it was built, among many other things.

From what you have said, it does appear to be among the last 100 Hawks manufactured. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob. Can I get this from The studebaker National Museum on line. What I'am doing is getting as much information as I can on the car to build a scrap book that will have everything I can find on the car and will have all the pictures of the car as it's going though it's restoration. Plan to set it out at the car shows for people to look at with the car. All the exterrior body panels should be ready to paint by the middle of march. At that point the body will come off the frame to have the shell rebuilt and frame and drivetrain done.Getting ready to send the seats and door panels to the upholstery guy for rebuild.

Comment

https://studebakermuseum.org/store/p...60-1966_00029/

Very slow but they eventually arrive.
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
              https://studebakermuseum.org/store/p...60-1966_00029/

Very slow but they eventually arrive.
              I found the wait not too bad at all. Like Sal54 for his 1962 GT Hawk, I received mine in three weeks which was also for a GT Hawk (1963). Remember, the order from the museum states 4-6 weeks!

Craig

Comment

I think that your Hawk's body was 195 from the last one welded up. I say "think" because I am not sure that the body numbers for six cylinder Hawks shouldn't be a different series from V8 Hawks (64V K6). The problem is that your body number is too high to be a V8 range only (1548 total). I am assuming that all K6 bodies were counted together, which makes your car's body 195 from the end.

I'll second the suggestion to get the build sheet from the SNM. It will answer your question and give much more information.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary. I do know it was built as a 289 auto car. I have the window sticker from the dealer to the first owner. It lists all the factory options. I thought the body number where in no order as the cars where built.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                    Gary. I do know it was built as a 289 auto car. I have the window sticker from the dealer to the first owner. It lists all the factory options. I thought the body number where in no order as the cars where built.
                    The 64V parts confirms that it was built as a V8. I was referring to the six cylinder cars as they count in the body number sequence.

The body numbers approximate build (S/N) order. That is why I referred to body "weld up", rather than car assembly.

Again, the build sheet will directly answer your question.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X