• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studedude
    replied
    Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
    That could be arranged Dave ...
    Wish I still had access to the high-speed off road course out at Burns Flat. Haven't taught there in a while, and management has changed recently.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
    What about the rubber hose in the fuel filler connections... Is Ed selling modern hose at SI; or is it still the old stuff? I bought a straight section for my '53 coupe locally (that was the new stuff) but my '49 pickup will be requiring a bent section, and all I can find locally is straight sections.
    All the hoses we sell are reproductions. You don't want an NOS hose.

Leave a comment:

• rodnutrandy
    replied
    ethanol eats the old regular gas hose, the hose will come apart and clog everything in the line. Takes about ayear for the hose to go bad. Gates rubber tells me that the ethanol will not eat the fuel injection hose. All i run in my gas line that is rubber is the fuel injection hose, better safe than sorry!

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Mute
    replied
    What about the rubber hose in the fuel filler connections... Is Ed selling modern hose at SI; or is it still the old stuff? I bought a straight section for my '53 coupe locally (that was the new stuff) but my '49 pickup will be requiring a bent section, and all I can find locally is straight sections.

Leave a comment:

• okc63avanti
    replied
    Originally posted by Studedude View Post
    Better let me drive, eh? (G)
    That could be arranged Dave ...

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    Joe, that would be tempting but I'm not sure Officer Dave (StudeDude) has enough stroke to get me out of the ticket and enough influence to get me out from behind bars.
    Better let me drive, eh? (G)

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Thanks for the Public Service Announcement from Chris, Fire Chief, over at the Studebaker Factory Fire Department.
    Just doin' my job.

Leave a comment:

• okc63avanti
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    Wait. That's an Avanti, right? You'll need to test drive it again, and this time bring it up to at least 120 MPH to insure the gas line is OK
    Joe, that would be tempting but I'm not sure Officer Dave (StudeDude) has enough stroke to get me out of the ticket and enough influence to get me out from behind bars.

Leave a comment:

• 63t-cab
    replied
    Is that because of modern materials? but ya I found that on my Champ with new SI rad. hoses after doing a engine swap.
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Good catch, you may have that same issue with your Radiator and Heater hoses, they require a "re-torque" after break in from Temp. changes and vibration etc.

Leave a comment:

• okc63avanti
    replied
    Thanks for the Public Service Announcement from Chris, Fire Chief, over at the Studebaker Factory Fire Department.

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    When I had my rear springs changed, the bushing sleeves in the frame were so rusted in that the shop had to drop the fuel tank. They told me later that the fuel hose from the tank to the frame line, even though it looked fine, disintegrated when they tried to pull it off. Just turned to dust. Good idea to check even hoses that appear in good shape.

Leave a comment:

• thunderations
    replied
    I nearly lost a 1966 Fairlane 500 XL convertible because a $2 piece of rubber gas line leaked and caught fire. Lucky for me the fire extinguser was next to the bucket seat and all that burned was some wires, the choke housing, some small hoses and a nice blister on the hood. Fire extingusers in the trunk look cool at shows, but that extra 30 seconds to get to it can be the difference between saving the car and losing it when needed.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Always check, and recheck fuel lines. Older cars can catch on fire easier because gasoline can get to hot spots easier than on newer cars. (i.e. exposed spark plugs.) Modern fuel eats away at rubber, so does oil and coolant. When I got my '40 the radiator hoses were so saturated that had I driven it any distance there could have been some serious problems. A cracking fuel line is even more dangerous. This is why the SDC recommends that every Studebaker be equipped with a fire extinguisher that meets or exceds current NFPA standards.

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Posted by JoeHall

I understand the best gas line available now days is the kind with the blue lined core. It is expensive and hard to find though.
    The last I purchased was at Autozone and went for about $4.00/ft. It was the Goodyear blue core and I needed to ask for it specifically. After all the discussion about the effects of the newer fuels on rubber hose, All I've used for the last five years is either the Goodyear blue core or Summit Racings Stainless braided fuel line. Cheap insurance.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    When I first noticed, I tried tightening the hose clamps but it just made matters worst. The new fuel-injection hose seems to have done the trick. After making the repair I took her for a spin on I-40 for about at speeds of 70-80 MPH, returned home and lines were bone dry.
    Wait. That's an Avanti, right? You'll need to test drive it again, and this time bring it up to at least 120 MPH to insure the gas line is OK

Leave a comment:

Working...
X