Safety Reminder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Reminder

My avanti finished her resto-mod last July just in time to attend the Nationals in South Bend and then afterwards to drive her home to Oklahoma. Yesterday I adjusted the choke and throttle and found the rubber fuel lines on either end of the fuel filter dripping fuel. Today I went and purchased some 5/16" fuel injection hose and replaced the rubber on both ends of the fuel filter.

Had I not caught this, the story could have been a lot worst. Everyone do your self a favor and regularly check everything on your car for leaks. I assumed that with the recent restoration every thing was fine but it wasn't. Modern gasoline is not kind to rubber. I have heard that the fuel injection hose is better quality, so time will tell, but I will keep an eye on things from now on.
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

I have had that happen several times and, like you, have just learned to keep an eye on the gas hoses. It seems modern gas, combined with cheap hose material, makes for a ridiculously short hose life. I understand the best gas line available now days is the kind with the blue lined core. It is expensive and hard to find though.

Comment

Good catch, you may have that same issue with your Radiator and Heater hoses, they require a "re-torque" after break in from Temp. changes and vibration etc.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Good catch, you may have that same issue with your Radiator and Heater hoses, they require a "re-torque" after break in from Temp. changes and vibration etc.
        I agree Rich,
        But re-torque is one thing, and at least the rubber holds up in the radiator hoses. It does not hold up with gas line hose, however, and re-torque won't fix the problem. At least that is what I thought the OP was talking about. It cracks badly and eventually will crack all the way through, even in locations other than the hot engine bay, i.e. back near the tank.

Comment

Very much a related happening, RE: my "new" 1964 Daytona Wagonaire:

Vic hadn't had the car running for a couple weeks before we got there to pick it up Thursday, January 31. We primed it with some gas in the carb, put the air cleaner back on, and it started right up and idled fine on its own fuel system. Vic drove it around the barn and then up onto the trailer with no issues, so it obviously had gasoline in the tank. (Of course, the battery hold-down was secure before attempting to start the car.)

However, when chaining it down to the trailer, I noticed: The [probably, it looked like it] OEM fuel hose exiting the bottom of the gas tank was wet with fuel and badly age cracked. It was NOT dripping, but was clearly wet. Gasoline was thus evaporating from cracks in that fuel hose coming off the bottom of the tank, up to the fuel line along the frame.

I made a note to replace that hose immediately when I got home, while the car was on the trailer and thus outside, in the event of any spillage.

With a fresh, new length of contemporary 5/16" fuel hose in hand, I threw a large pan under the car on the trailer outside in the driveway, well away from the house, and gingerly pulled the old hose off, not knowing how much gas would pour out before I could shove the new hose over the tank nipple.

No problem: Just a few drops of gas dribbled out, so little it couldn't be measured! Therefore, in the 7 days between when we loaded it and when I was able to replace that hose, it had evaporated (bled off) all the fuel in the tank through that cracked hose, even though it was not, repeat NOT, dripping! BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 02-17-2013, 04:56 AM. Reason: spelling
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

When I first noticed, I tried tightening the hose clamps but it just made matters worst. The new fuel-injection hose seems to have done the trick. After making the repair I took her for a spin on I-40 for about at speeds of 70-80 MPH, returned home and lines were bone dry.
            sigpic
            John
            63R-2386

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
              When I first noticed, I tried tightening the hose clamps but it just made matters worst. The new fuel-injection hose seems to have done the trick. After making the repair I took her for a spin on I-40 for about at speeds of 70-80 MPH, returned home and lines were bone dry.
              Wait. That's an Avanti, right? You'll need to test drive it again, and this time bring it up to at least 120 MPH to insure the gas line is OK

Comment

Posted by JoeHall

I understand the best gas line available now days is the kind with the blue lined core. It is expensive and hard to find though.
                The last I purchased was at Autozone and went for about $4.00/ft. It was the Goodyear blue core and I needed to ask for it specifically. After all the discussion about the effects of the newer fuels on rubber hose, All I've used for the last five years is either the Goodyear blue core or Summit Racings Stainless braided fuel line. Cheap insurance.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bob

Comment

Always check, and recheck fuel lines. Older cars can catch on fire easier because gasoline can get to hot spots easier than on newer cars. (i.e. exposed spark plugs.) Modern fuel eats away at rubber, so does oil and coolant. When I got my '40 the radiator hoses were so saturated that had I driven it any distance there could have been some serious problems. A cracking fuel line is even more dangerous. This is why the SDC recommends that every Studebaker be equipped with a fire extinguisher that meets or exceds current NFPA standards.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

I nearly lost a 1966 Fairlane 500 XL convertible because a $2 piece of rubber gas line leaked and caught fire. Lucky for me the fire extinguser was next to the bucket seat and all that burned was some wires, the choke housing, some small hoses and a nice blister on the hood. Fire extingusers in the trunk look cool at shows, but that extra 30 seconds to get to it can be the difference between saving the car and losing it when needed.
                    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                    1950 Champion Convertible
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

When I had my rear springs changed, the bushing sleeves in the frame were so rusted in that the shop had to drop the fuel tank. They told me later that the fuel hose from the tank to the frame line, even though it looked fine, disintegrated when they tried to pull it off. Just turned to dust. Good idea to check even hoses that appear in good shape.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for the Public Service Announcement from Chris, Fire Chief, over at the Studebaker Factory Fire Department.
                        sigpic
                        John
                        63R-2386

Comment

Is that because of modern materials? but ya I found that on my Champ with new SI rad. hoses after doing a engine swap.
                          Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                            Wait. That's an Avanti, right? You'll need to test drive it again, and this time bring it up to at least 120 MPH to insure the gas line is OK
                            Joe, that would be tempting but I'm not sure Officer Dave (StudeDude) has enough stroke to get me out of the ticket and enough influence to get me out from behind bars.
                            sigpic
                            John
                            63R-2386

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                              Thanks for the Public Service Announcement from Chris, Fire Chief, over at the Studebaker Factory Fire Department.
                              Just doin' my job.
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X