Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spannerbird
    replied
    I installed a '58 392" Chrysler Imperial Hemi and cast-iron Torqueflite into a '58 Studebaker Silver Hawk. Not really practical for the street, but I did use it as an everyday driver. Had to scoop the hood as on this
    GT Hawk.
    I read or saw that Hemis in general aren't a very good DD engine. They're used in drag racing because of the restriction (I guess in the class) to only have 2 valves per cylinder. Of course, I would be very happy in a company where I could use older technology, which doesn't cost much of anything to improve upon (no new molds to make/buy) and still keep the stock prices up and consumer loyalty cemented because of a name. I might not make too many people happy with that last statement.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post

Matt- Bring him another hood rod rubber bumper when you go back <G> "to put the stainless on after it's painted" <G,G>.
    I guess my secret is out. That chrome spray paint is some great stuff.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    There was a 1953 Starliner with an early hemi in it in this area for many years. I do not know what happened to it.

Matt- Bring him another hood rod rubber bumper when you go back <G> "to put the stainless on after it's painted" [I didn't think that you would paint the stainless. <G>] <G,G>.

Leave a comment:

• junior
    replied
    Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    Had to scoop the hood as on this
    GT Hawk. Considerably wider than the Stude or the Packard.....but that
    big C/K engine compartment indeed contained it. .
    Practical or not...old hemi engines rock in c/k studes. eye-popping appeal is hard to beat...this is one of my all time favorites...such a clean install with no hood scoop, who would ever imagine that such eye candy was lurking under the hood of this modified? cheers, Junior.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=hemi

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    I installed a '58 392" Chrysler Imperial Hemi and cast-iron Torqueflite into a '58 Studebaker Silver Hawk. Not really practical for the street, but I did use it as an everyday driver. Had to scoop the hood as on this
    GT Hawk. VERY heavy engine, Certainly much heavier than the Stude V8.....and I would guess at least several pounds heavier than the Packard V8. Considerably wider than the Stude or the Packard.....but that
    big C/K engine compartment indeed contained it. (I had a custom driveshaft made up, and used the Chrysler mechanical pushbutton setup from the Imperial. Trunk mounted battery. I ended up re-installing
    a Stude engine after several months, (winter was coming!), and selling the Hemi to a few guys who were building a dragster.

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    I love old hemis but I love a balanced car more!

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by sals54 View Post
    I really dig that ride. Reminds me of my long ago neighbors' 53 Coupe with the big Chrysler hemi in it. Looks like a tight fit, but its not as bad as it looks.
    It doesn't look any tighter than a Packard V8 in a 56J

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    I really dig that ride. Reminds me of my long ago neighbors' 53 Coupe with the big Chrysler hemi in it. Looks like a tight fit, but its not as bad as it looks.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
    I like it. but their front heavy with a 289 I wonder what weight that big hemi puts on the front end. Great for showing up the young motor heads at a burn out contest though.
    Depending on whose published weight chart one believes, the '57-58 Chrysler 392" hemi is from 25-75# heavier than a Studebaker V8. (The problem with those weight charts is they are pulled from a variety of older sources and it's unclear how each engine is dressed. Is it including accessories? Including clutch, flywheel and bellhousing? Ready to run? This chart http://fixrambler.com/engineweightchart.txt has the Studebaker V8 at 650#. I know from personal experience that would be without accessories and clutch/bellhousing. This same chart has the '55 hemi at 725#.)

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    I of course haven't driven it, but Fred says it goes down the road without any issues. Well, except for the 8 MPG.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    This car goes to show You how big that C/K engine compartment really is! I'd love to drive this thing!

Leave a comment:

• swvalcon
    replied
    I like it. but their front heavy with a 289 I wonder what weight that big hemi puts on the front end. Great for showing up the young motor heads at a burn out contest though.

Leave a comment:

• brngarage
    replied
    Matthew:
    Next time you're taking pictures of that Hawk, can you please get some closeups of the rack and pinion installation (and info on what car the rack and pinion came from)?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
    Thanks for posting Matthew. I keep in touch with Fred & Paula, and met them at the South Bend Meet last year, lovely people. Fred has been telling me about his Hawk project, but these are the first pics I've seen.
    I'll be sure to post more when I go back over there in a couple of months to put the stainless on after it's painted.

Leave a comment:

• Aussie Hawk
    replied
    Thanks for posting Matthew. I keep in touch with Fred & Paula, and met them at the South Bend Meet last year, lovely people. Fred has been telling me about his Hawk project, but these are the first pics I've seen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X