Hemi Hawk (for Matt Pettigrew)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemi Hawk (for Matt Pettigrew)

I drove to the other side of Atlanta today to an SDCer's house, to pick up the stainless for a '62 Hawk he is getting ready to repaint. He restored the car about 30 years ago, and it was showing its age. Rather than rebuild the tired stock drivetrain.. He opted for a '58 392 Hemi. No real surprise.. Another Stude he built and sold not long ago was a '47 M5 with a 472 Cadillac. Matt in Australia bought the M5, and he asked me to show Matt the pics of his Hawk.. Enjoy!

Stock frame and suspension with rack and pinion steering.

Last edited by mbstude; 02-16-2013, 01:18 PM.

I like that!
    sigpic
    Claude Chmielewski
    Studeski
    http://www.studeski.com
    Fillmore, Wisconsin
    47 M-16 Truck
    53 Commander Regal HT
    53 2R5
    60 Lark VIII Convertible
    60 5E7 Champ pickup
    62 5E7 Champ no box
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    63 Lark VI parts car
    63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
    64 Commander Wagonaire
    64 Daytona Convertible
    50 Champion Regal (parts car)
    36 Dictator
    36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

Thanks for posting Matthew. I keep in touch with Fred & Paula, and met them at the South Bend Meet last year, lovely people. Fred has been telling me about his Hawk project, but these are the first pics I've seen.
      Matt
      Brisbane
      Australia
      sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
        Thanks for posting Matthew. I keep in touch with Fred & Paula, and met them at the South Bend Meet last year, lovely people. Fred has been telling me about his Hawk project, but these are the first pics I've seen.
        I'll be sure to post more when I go back over there in a couple of months to put the stainless on after it's painted.

Comment

Matthew:
          Next time you're taking pictures of that Hawk, can you please get some closeups of the rack and pinion installation (and info on what car the rack and pinion came from)?

Thanks
          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
          '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

I like it. but their front heavy with a 289 I wonder what weight that big hemi puts on the front end. Great for showing up the young motor heads at a burn out contest though.

Comment

This car goes to show You how big that C/K engine compartment really is! I'd love to drive this thing!

Comment

I of course haven't driven it, but Fred says it goes down the road without any issues. Well, except for the 8 MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                  I like it. but their front heavy with a 289 I wonder what weight that big hemi puts on the front end. Great for showing up the young motor heads at a burn out contest though.
                  Depending on whose published weight chart one believes, the '57-58 Chrysler 392" hemi is from 25-75# heavier than a Studebaker V8. (The problem with those weight charts is they are pulled from a variety of older sources and it's unclear how each engine is dressed. Is it including accessories? Including clutch, flywheel and bellhousing? Ready to run? This chart http://fixrambler.com/engineweightchart.txt has the Studebaker V8 at 650#. I know from personal experience that would be without accessories and clutch/bellhousing. This same chart has the '55 hemi at 725#.)

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

I really dig that ride. Reminds me of my long ago neighbors' 53 Coupe with the big Chrysler hemi in it. Looks like a tight fit, but its not as bad as it looks.
                    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                      I really dig that ride. Reminds me of my long ago neighbors' 53 Coupe with the big Chrysler hemi in it. Looks like a tight fit, but its not as bad as it looks.
                      It doesn't look any tighter than a Packard V8 in a 56J

Comment

I love old hemis but I love a balanced car more!
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I installed a '58 392" Chrysler Imperial Hemi and cast-iron Torqueflite into a '58 Studebaker Silver Hawk. Not really practical for the street, but I did use it as an everyday driver. Had to scoop the hood as on this
                          GT Hawk. VERY heavy engine, Certainly much heavier than the Stude V8.....and I would guess at least several pounds heavier than the Packard V8. Considerably wider than the Stude or the Packard.....but that
                          big C/K engine compartment indeed contained it. (I had a custom driveshaft made up, and used the Chrysler mechanical pushbutton setup from the Imperial. Trunk mounted battery. I ended up re-installing
                          a Stude engine after several months, (winter was coming!), and selling the Hemi to a few guys who were building a dragster.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            Had to scoop the hood as on this
                            GT Hawk. Considerably wider than the Stude or the Packard.....but that
                            big C/K engine compartment indeed contained it. .
                            Practical or not...old hemi engines rock in c/k studes. eye-popping appeal is hard to beat...this is one of my all time favorites...such a clean install with no hood scoop, who would ever imagine that such eye candy was lurking under the hood of this modified? cheers, Junior.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=hemi
                            sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

There was a 1953 Starliner with an early hemi in it in this area for many years. I do not know what happened to it.

Matt- Bring him another hood rod rubber bumper when you go back <G> "to put the stainless on after it's painted" [I didn't think that you would paint the stainless. <G>] <G,G>.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X