1954 Starliner Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1954 Starliner Paint

Did Studebaker paint any two tone 1954 Starliners, or were they all one color? Ken, Deltaville, Va

Some were two tone with a different color top.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

A neighbor - elementary school librarian - drove a 1954 Starliner that was a light yellow (bottom) with a black top - Automobile Quarterly 114 years of Studebaker - there is a picture of that car. They bought the car on a used car lot in 1966, owned it until about 1988/90.

Drew

Comment

Originally posted by drew72mgb View Post
        A neighbor - elementary school librarian - drove a 1954 Starliner that was a light yellow (bottom) with a black top - Automobile Quarterly 114 years of Studebaker - there is a picture of that car. They bought the car on a used car lot in 1966, owned it until about 1988/90.

Drew
        Thanks, A person (in your neck of the woods) interested in my 54, wanted to know if two tone was proper, and I was not sure; it was all black before restoration and 2 tone red/black after. Ken

Comment

Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
          Thanks, A person (in your neck of the woods) interested in my 54, wanted to know if two tone was proper, and I was not sure; it was all black before restoration and 2 tone red/black after. Ken
          My 54K was originally white with a blue top. There is/was a chrome medallion that seperated the colors at the base of the rear sail panel.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Two-tone 1953-1954 Starliners were very common.
            If your '54 is a black top over a red body, that is correct (combination no. 1168). I am pretty sure that the opposite color combination would not be correct. You don't mention which way yours is "red/black". There should be a "Studebaker" nameplate on the C-pillar for the paint break line.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              Two-tone 1953-1954 Starliners were very common.
              If your '54 is a black top over a red body, that is correct (combination no. 1168). I am pretty sure that the opposite color combination would not be correct. You don't mention which way yours is "red/black". There should be a "Studebaker" nameplate on the C-pillar for the paint break line.
              Gary, very interesting, thanks. It's red body with black top and it does have a "studebaber" script for paint break line. While it was all black when I got it, does the Studebaker script at the paint break mean it was, at one time, two tone, or is that on all of them? Ken

Comment

Gary, very interesting, thanks. It's red body with black top and it does have a "studebaber" script for paint break line. While it was all black when I got it, does the Studebaker script at the paint break mean it was, at one time, two tone, or is that on all of them? Ken
                Is your paint sticker still present on the underside of the glove compartment box?

Craig

Comment

Did Studebaker paint any two tone 1954 Starliners, or were they all one color? Ken, Deltaville, Va
                  The official word (sorry about the poor quality)

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

...does the Studebaker script at the paint break mean it was, at one time, two tone, or is that on all of them?
                    I am not aware of any single tone examples that included that particular script. There have been posts in the past to demonstrate exactly how the paint break was taped at an angle forward of the script.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

John Bridges' book, Studebaker's Finest, has copies of the available color options for '53 and '54 Starliners. His book even shows at least one example of a single color car with the paint separation script, so I assume there were at least a few cars built that way -- at least in early 1954. Here's a photo of our '54 in Shoshone Red and Sandusky Beige.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2079.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1679020
                      Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                      Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

In 53 at least, the Vernon (L.A.) assembled cars had the Studebaker script at the paint break line, even the solid color cars. This was not the case for the cars from South Bend. Not sure if this practice was continued through to 1954.
                        Dave Nevin
                        Corvallis, OR
                        1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                        Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Thanks to all for information. Here is pic of the car showing paint line Notwithstanding it being designed over 61 years ago, as far as I'm concerned, the 53-54 hardtop, looks better than most modern day cars that seem to specialize in "drab". Ken
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ken, Deltaville, Va

Thanks to all for information. Here is pic of the car showing paint line Notwithstanding it being designed over 61 years ago, as far as I'm concerned, the 53-54 hardtop, looks better than most modern day cars that seem to specialize in "drab". Ken

The best that I can tell from that picture, your Starliner looks correct and nice!
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
                              In 53 at least, the Vernon (L.A.) assembled cars had the Studebaker script at the paint break line, even the solid color cars. This was not the case for the cars from South Bend. Not sure if this practice was continued through to 1954.
                              My solid color Chippewa Green '53 Starliner, Vernon production, had the script.
                              Attached Files
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X