63 GT With A/C Unusual Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 GT With A/C Unusual Installation

Did anyone ever see a Hawk with the A/C Hoses installed this way before?

This is obviously a early car with Serial #63V2652 with the flush Parking Lights and Aluminum Dash overlays, so I am not surprized that this one has the '62 Firewall like other early '63's I/We have seen, but the A/C Hoses go through the '62 & earlier Defroster Motor hole cover plate!

The A/C appears to be Factory installed because of the Tinted Glass, but of course could be Dealer installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Black 63 W_AC unusual.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1738035 Click image for larger version

Name:	Black 63 W_AC unusual2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1738036

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SS%3AUS%3A1123
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

You learn something new every day. I never knew any 63 GT Hawks had 62 style dashes.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Silly question-Does the location observed here have to do w/the location of the climatizer? I recently parted a '62 & the climatizer was up in the firewall. My '64 has the heater in the fender unlike the '62 so could be why they plumbed it that way.
      Rob in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
        Silly question-Does the location observed here have to do w/the location of the climatizer? I recently parted a '62 & the climatizer was up in the firewall. My '64 has the heater in the fender unlike the '62 so could be why they plumbed it that way.
        Rob in PA.
        It should not matter, most A/C Hoses went right through the firewall, but farther outboard.
        StudeRich

Comment

I am going to guess that this A/C was installed with a factory kit post-production. The build sheet will tell the story. I have not seen this hose installation either. In this area, many, if not most, cars of that era had tinted windows without A/C.
          I do not know how you can call a car with a known color change "original".
          Another case of the wrong battery being installed.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My guess is an other than factory install. Who ever placed the compressor hose over the alternator belt is in for a rude surprise..
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

You really never know after 50 years, what the poor Car has been through. It looks quite Factory or Dealer installed to me, at least it has the proper Water Manifold for A/C or one that has been modified for correct location of heater hoses for an A/C setup.

Those hoses and their routing certainly do NOT look factory that is for sure. With engine removals over the years they probably have been replaced and or re-routed.

You are right, that looks like an accident waiting to happen!

About half or maybe 60% of the eBay cars seem to have the Air Cleaners incorrectly installed like this one.
              I think we need to more aggressively promote the SDC, because these people are not with us.

I apologize if this owner is a Member if so, he is in the minority of the uninformed for sure.
              StudeRich

Comment

Working...
              X