• Show
Clear All

• Is it worth the price?

Click image for larger version

Name:	old stude.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	17380271959 Studebaker Lark VI for $2900.00

If they accidentally dropped a "2" at the beginning, then yes, $900 would be about right...

Comment

I think I remember seeing that on my craigs list browse this weekend. I too believe it is over priced at $2900 but we see this all the time. To a seller, every old car is a treasure trove to help fund the next Caribbean vacation. They won't budge. So not a lot of cars get moved.

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
        1959 Studebaker Lark VI for $2900.00
        http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ctd/3604213916.html

Depends on what it looks like in real life. You forgot to mention w/title and a 4 door w/title as part of the deal.

The exterior looks essentially rust free with good chrome. If the interior is decend and both cars have engines, I go look with a rag and a bottle of water to see what the paint and chrome look like. Take the $2900 if they look that good but start under $2000. You never know what cash in hand will do.

You can't buy much sheet metal or do much body work for $2000.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
          http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ctd/3604213916.html

Depends on what it looks like in real life. You forgot to mention w/title and a 4 door w/title as part of the deal.

The exterior looks essentially rust free with good chrome. If the interior is decend and both cars have engines, I go look with a rag and a bottle of water to see what the paint and chrome look like. Take the $2900 if they look that good but start under $2000. You never know what cash in hand will do.

You can't buy much sheet metal or do much body work for $2000.

Bob
          I have to agree with Bob. It may very well be overpriced a bit, but usually $900 will not buy much either. Sometimes you get lucky, but most of the time you need to be in the $1500 to $2000 range to get something with a lot of potential. Besides, this comes with a 4 door parts car. You may be able to clean up the 4 door and sell it outright to someone else and recoup part of your initial investment. Check it out up close and see what the rust issues are. The front bumper looks pretty good from here. A dose of "Lark Shine" may reveal a pretty decent car hiding under all that dirt. And lastly, realize that the "great deal" you may come across later, could be the one that requires a fair amount of shipping costs. Good luck. Let us know what you find out up close.
          sals54

Comment

Agree with Bob.
            If it something you want, it's straight and "mostly" rust free...offer $1500 and go from there. Getting spare parts is "always" a good deal when buying an old car. The grill (all of the front end) looks pretty good, that's a big plus on that car.

I just spent way too much on a 54, 4dr. Why...because it has very nice front sheet metal, to use as spare parts for my two 54 Conestoga wagons. One little fender bender, it will have payed for itself. And it runs, so it's sorta a second car that may help out...who knows..! I've already swapped front bumpers..!

Mike

Comment

Craigs list is exactly where I seen it. I'm about 30 minutes from there. I want to look at it today if I feel better this afternoon. And I value the opionons on this site. Thanks

Comment

Check the Floor Pans carefully and all the other areas prone to rust.....

Comment

Barn find with no engine, ok for some maybe not for a first timer, price is hard to reclaim down the line on most barn finds, 2 cars is a plus but also might be a problem for others with out a trailer of their own and how far they need to go. car in Iowa with out rust??? maybe.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

I purchased 2 cars for $2,500 over the past two years, and in each case the "asking price" was $3,500 and $3,300. Each car was about 30 miles from my home, and in each case I talked to the owner over the phone several times. In one case, it took quite a bit of "haggling" to get the price down by $800. I drove both cars home, and both were mechanically sound with good rubber. There was no floor pan rust on one and very little on the other. Based on my experience, it will cost approximately $8,000 to make such a car show-worthy, and to be first in class, double that. For about $10,000 one should be able to have a fairly decent "driver" to take to club meets, shows, etc. Yesterday a 56 President sold on ebay for $15,101,99. I had pushed the bid to $15,000, and would have liked the car for less, as it was an original "survivor" with 38,000 miles, and would have fit the criterion as a nice "driver", after getting new rubber, checking out the engine and brakes, etc.

The 57 President Classic I bought for $2,500 has cost me $40 for a new right front brake cylinder, $350 for new front springs and shocks (installed), $250 for re-routing tailpipes on a "low rider" that had the pipes under the rear axle, and $1,100 for having all the engine and transmission seals replaced to make it "leak free", believe it or not (for a Studebaker, no easy task). Still to come is complete interior, $4,000, lots of sanding and painting, another $4,000, all with lots of my own labor. Such is the price to have a "presentable" Studebaker driver. After all, this is the "Studebaker Driver's Club", although I guess there are a few "trailer queens" among all the drivers. If one is looking for an easier way to enjoy the hobby, maybe one should consider model cars.

The 1965 Cruiser I bought in 2011 for $2,500 came with NOS right and left front fenders, front Turner disk brakes, several radios, and a new wiring loom, which I have not as yet used. It needed no mechanical work, only cosmetics such as new paint and interior, plus polishing chrome and aluminum trim. I figure I have spent around $4,500 on the interior, including carpet, headliner, and new front windshield, and around $3,500 on the paint, plus another $100 on window U-channels, and around $75 for nice used wheel covers, which I still need to detail. I also detailed the side trim paint, and did a bunch of rust-proofing on the floor panels. No rust on rockers, but original front fenders were rusted out. This is how she looks now.

You can view my entire collection through this link: http://s1198.beta.photobucket.com/us...05453.jpg.html
                    Last edited by jnfweber; 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM. Reason: Added recent photos and link.
                    sigpic
                    Jack, in Montana

Comment

I see very little rust in the places it is most expected. Wash the bird turd off this thing and it may well be just what someone needs to accomplish their dream. If the seller really wanted $2900, he/she would have done some scrubbing. Use that to your advantage.
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10,
                      '51 Commander Starlight,
                      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

She looks like a good ol' bird to me, and the price is a smidge high but in the neighborhood. Bring a strong flashlight and a good floor jack and jack stands to get up under her. Check out the floor from the underside (especially the front footwells, poke around at the rear edge of the front fenders (where they overlap the cowl), and look at the trunk lip, trunk floor, etc. Closer to $2,000 would be a great way to get into that car, even if it does need mechanical work (which any car will need).
                        ~Matt Connor
                        '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Thanks to all. I am currently working on my own car. 50-4 door champ and have done all the work myself. It's the first car I've done totally on my own. The cost was a couple grand to buy the vehicle, but the education I am receiving is tremendous. I have about 300 in paint, 2-300 in parts here and there. And I place no dollar amount on my time. If I did I'd be way out of my league. My greatest fear is that I won't be happy driving the car. I hope I do.

Rick

Comment

Rick,

To give you some of my personal points of comparison, read my sig line. My Two 60's, while potentially not in as prime a condition if that sheet metal is as good as the pic makes it look, would go to some lucky buyer for a fraction of that asking price. My very nice '63, which has a few eccentricities and a smidge of bondo hiding underneath but runs and drives well and looks cool, was purchased for not a whole lot more than the asking price for the car in this ad. And it came with a hub puller for the rear brakes and a couple cool aluminum signs for my garage

I think the comments others have made about the sheet metal are spot on. If those fenders are not full of bondo and they're solid enough to use as-is, that's worth close to half the asking price right there. If all the panels and the floor are as solid as they appear at first glance, that's going to save thousands over having to repair that stuff. Bottom line, if this car is solid and complete (aside from the engine), you probably have more than $2900 of parts and progress.

Having said that, the Studebaker world is a world dense with some very, ehem, "thrift-minded" people, and I believe that mentality, more than anything, would drive the value on this vehicle down. Make this a Chevy, and those rabid bowtie enthusiasts would probably beat each other to death for a chance to get such a great base to start a build on at such a reasonable rate. But in our world, you'll likely be mocked mercilessly for paying that kind of money. Just sayin'
                            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
                            X