Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drove the Champ today!

image.jpgimage.jpg

We had rain here earlier on the week. The rain washed the salt away, and it has stayed warm enough that the state crews have parked the salt trucks for now. I had some errands to run today so I used the Champ. Here is a picture I snapped with my I phone on the way out of the gas station. Great day!
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Nice looking Champ. I suggest you not lay on your side the next time you use your camera, standing up works much better.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

That's strange..... I wonder why the pictures are rotated? Any way, I thought it looked cool when I came out of the gas station
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Nice looking truck Kurt! Is it a short bed? I couldn't turn my neck that far long enough to check. :-) Looks like your truck may be a twin to my SWB 62, it is blue now (see pic in my profile) but will be red (its birth color) if I ever get around to it before my lights go out. Would love to see more pics/details of yours.
        Jim
        Last edited by LarkTruck; 02-10-2013, 07:45 AM.
        I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

The truck is a shorted. It has a 289 engine and 3 speed transmission. I just recently bought an OD trans for it, but am still working on the other bits and pieces before I install it. The bed is th wide box, so the non Studebaker people are always asking, "How come the bed doesn't match the cab?" The truck was built in 1961, but has the trim where it is supposed to be..... So it must have had a fender change somewhere in it's life. The truck is very solid, it has a couple rust bubbles on the lower portions of the doors, and the drivers cab corner has a bubbled area. The floors, rockers and the box are rock solid and have never been repaired. This truck is far from perfect, but it is very presentable. I drive it and use it for light chores every chance I get.
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Thanks Kurt. Mine was a 6 with O.D., but I have installed a full flow 289 with an R1 cam and a Flightomatic. I had its floors replaced, and will get NOS front fenders when I do the make over.
            It was sold new in Modesto Ca., hometown of one of my heros, George Lucas- American Grafitti- "Where were you in 62?" so that is kinda cool. I would love to know how it made its way to Pennsylvania. I know what you mean about people saying the bed doesn't match. It makes for good story telling at shows and gas stops. I carry a copy of a sales ad with a picture of the truck to show them. That, and the whole story by Otis Romine from the TW interview about how Stude. bought the bed tooling from Chrysler makes it all come together. I thought about switching to a narrow bed, but changed my mind.
            Jim

Comment

I have only owned the truck about one year, and the PO didn't know much about it's history, but I plan to get the production order sometime. It is a 6e7, so I know it was built as a V8 originally. The engine in it now is not the original, as it was one that I built for my 64 clone. It has the Phil Harris R2+ cam, an Edelbrock carb, and was bored .040 with shallow dish pistons. It runs real good. I plan to do dual exhaust and overdrive soon. Maybe some "period wheels" not sure just yet about that. it could stand to have the steering box and kingpin rebuild, but doesn't drive too bad.... I am thinking about a disk brake conversion also, I just need time and money, both of which I have very little of currently.
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Good looking Studebaker!
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Love that color!!!!
                  1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                    I just need time and money, both of which I have very little of currently.
                    AMEN to both!
                    Jim

Comment

Nice looking truck Kurt. Playing with the old Studes, unfortunately, does require time and money. The plans sound great. A Turner Brake set-up would give your truck some great stopping ability. Good luck with your plans and your resources becoming available to complete them.
                      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

That is one very nice lookin truck ! But I bet you get that comment a lot, esp when you are out in it !

Comment

Looks just like mine!...maybe I should check the garage and see if it is still there?
                          Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 02-10-2013, 09:32 PM.
                          Lou Van Anne
                          62 Champ
                          64 R2 GT Hawk
                          79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                          X