61 Hawk engine colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 Hawk engine colors

What are the proper color(s) for the 289 in my 61 Hawk. It is currently orange. Some pictures I have seen are black with yellow valve covers?

Silver block, pan, heads, intake manifold, water manifold. Red rocker covers. Black air cleaner, oil filler cap, generator, starter.

Chris.

Comment

The Valve covers are not true deep Red, they are Red/Orange, but more Red than Orange.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61 Baby Blue5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1678965
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks.
        Well, at least my air cleaner is the right color.LOL
        Looks like I have a good reason to do some powder coating.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          The Valve covers are not true deep Red, they are Red/Orange, but more Red than Orange.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21230[/ATTACH]
          Looks orange to me, maybe it is the proper colors after all. But I am thinking that the rest of engine was orange(red) also. I will have to look at it when I get home next week.

Comment

Originally posted by studoc View Post
            Looks orange to me, maybe it is the proper colors after all. But I am thinking that the rest of engine was orange(red) also. I will have to look at it when I get home next week.
            Here You go !
            Attached Files
            sigpic
            1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
            Lewisville,NC

Comment

More here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=return+spring

Craig

Comment

Looking at all of the cars pictured in this thread, I am now wondering if the battery in my 62GT is facing in the right direction. The battery posts are on the inside of the engine compartment. Now I have seen a few with the posts on the outside of the engine compartment. Which is correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
                  Looking at all of the cars pictured in this thread, I am now wondering if the battery in my 62GT is facing in the right direction. The battery posts are on the inside of the engine compartment. Now I have seen a few with the posts on the outside of the engine compartment. Which is correct?
                  inside is correct........

Comment

This is a case where safety far out weighs authenticity. If you look closely, when the battery terminals are toward the fender, the distance between the terminals and a closed hood are much closer as compared to the terminals being on the engine side. In the event of even a minor collision, they could make contact with the hood.....then look out, here come the sparks as well as burned spots on the hood. Just a thought.

Dan Miller
                    Auburn, GA

Comment

The battery posts on the incorrect side is usually the result of using the incorrect battery. The battery should be a Group 24 or 24C, not a 24F.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have been looking at the engine color thread, and have noticed the oil filter mounted to the left of center on the 61 Hawks pictured. My 61 Hawk's oil filter is mounted to the right of center (passenger side). Is this correct, or has it been moved ?
                        Thanks for any help.
                        Tom T

Comment

Mine is on the left (drivers side). I assume it is correct.

Comment

You do have to remember that some of these Fram Filters or Filter Brackets were Dealer Installed and may been at "Mechanics Preference" locations rather than per Factory Instructions. Who ever reads the instructions anyway?

OR, even reinstalled later by an owner.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                            X