ID help and a "don't be lazy like me" caution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID help and a "don't be lazy like me" caution

It's the same old story told by many before me, but did I listen and learn? Noooo! I'm talking about the zillions of times folks have said to bag and tag your small parts so you'll know what they are when you put the dad-blamed car back together.

Oh, sure, I started out carefully cleaning, bagging and marking zip-lock baggies of the small parts off my 60 Hawk. But, after a time I got lazy and started tossing bolts, nuts, washers, clips and assorted other parts into a few empty coffee cans. Now, after the car has set unassembled for a year or so (coupled with a failing memory) I stared hopelessly today at a can of the hardware bits scattered on my workbench.

Below are three items I'd appreciate some help in IDing if you can. The first pic is a bolt with very distinctive threads that are neither std coarse or fine. There is just the one of these bolts. The second and third photos are of a pair of bolts with special octagonal washers. The last photo (I have several) have body color paint on the heads so they may go on the inside of the car or engine compartment, perhaps seat bolts or hood bolts?

ALSO...I might as well display even more of my stupidity… on the parking brake bellcrank pullback spring, one end of the spring attaches to the bellcrank. Where does the other end hook? My manuals don't show it and my eyes aren't seeing it.
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Those bolts are fender attachment bolts.The wierd thred ones go into clips,the other ones which are 5/16 threads go into panels which have threads.The long ones with threads may go into the inner fender panels from the outside behind the front wheels. They are also used in other areas. I am thinking 63-1966 studes,but pribably in other models also

Comment

The #1 is the type used on the Radiator surround Panel, I just can't remember where there would be only ONE though. It is definately a sheet metal screw though, that goes into a Speed nut/Clip.

Pic #2 & 3 look the same, if they are fine thread that is the type used to secure the Seats to the nutplates in the floor.

Could # 3 be one of your Fender to Door Post Bolts? It is a very commonly used Bolt.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

#1 strikes Me as the type that holds the hood latch plate to the valance on C/K's.

Comment

Hole in the floorpan

Theres a hole in the floorpan just forward of the assembly somewhere. It's been a while.
          Originally posted by BShaw View Post
          It's the same old story told by many before me, but did I listen and learn? Noooo! I'm talking about the zillions of times folks have said to bag and tag your small parts so you'll know what they are when you put the dad-blamed car back together.

Oh, sure, I started out carefully cleaning, bagging and marking zip-lock baggies of the small parts off my 60 Hawk. But, after a time I got lazy and started tossing bolts, nuts, washers, clips and assorted other parts into a few empty coffee cans. Now, after the car has set unassembled for a year or so (coupled with a failing memory) I stared hopelessly today at a can of the hardware bits scattered on my workbench.

Below are three items I'd appreciate some help in IDing if you can. The first pic is a bolt with very distinctive threads that are neither std coarse or fine. There is just the one of these bolts. The second and third photos are of a pair of bolts with special octagonal washers. The last photo (I have several) have body color paint on the heads so they may go on the inside of the car or engine compartment, perhaps seat bolts or hood bolts?

ALSO...
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

It's the same old story>>>

1957X4

1905X14

1960X3

GOOD LUCK!!!

Comment

I don't have my books with me, but 1905x14 looks like the bolts that hold the hood latch assembly down.
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
                I don't have my books with me, but 1905x14 looks like the bolts that hold the hood latch assembly down.
                BINGO!!! Some models used X14 for that application while others used X16 or X18 ...only difference is the length.

Comment

Bolts.

Just remember it's always good to have some parts left over for another job.

Don

ALSO...
                  don

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I should add, though, that I did not remove the hood latch or fenders/inner fenders.

Jimmy, i will look for the hole in the floor pan for the e-brake bellcrank pullback spring. I had done some undercoating and most certainly plugged it up.
                    sigpic
                    Bob Shaw
                    Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
                      What book(s) would I need to Id fasteners on a 60 Hawk?
                      sigpic
                      Bob Shaw
                      Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Been there and done that.
                        Lou Van Anne
                        62 Champ
                        64 R2 GT Hawk
                        79 Avanti II

Comment

i usually & as much as I can (pretty much!) put the bolts back in their places when I remove stuff, that leaves only a few to put in some marked bag or tin-can.

But that's me... who like saving old stuff so it loox untouched & original when it comes together again...

Comment

Sorta like a conical idented area

Sorta like a 1/2 to 3/4 elongated dented area running front to rear. Smaller in fromt and progressive larger toward the rear. The spring hooks in the rear of this area. Drivers side? I think.
                            Thanks for the ideas. I should add, though, that I did not remove the hood latch or fenders/inner fenders.

Jimmy, i will look for the hole in the floor pan for the e-brake bellcrank pullback spring. I had done some undercoating and most certainly plugged it up.
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

What book(s) would I need to Id fasteners on a 60 Hawk?
                              raoul5788, but you can now pin-point the exact application(s) by looking in your Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog

Comment

Working...
                              X