• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacuum shift

When I was young my grandfather had a 38 or 39 Stude with a
    what I believe was vacuum shift. It had a small shift lever on the
    dashboard that looked like a regular shift lever in miniture. Anyone
    remember that setup.

Ken Voigt has a 38 coupe with the vacuum shift.

Comment

Originally posted by len View Post
      When I was young my grandfather had a 38 or 39 Stude with a
      what I believe was vacuum shift. It had a small shift lever on the
      dashboard that looked like a regular shift lever in miniture. Anyone
      remember that setup.
      Yes I knew an old friend who described this to me. I believe it was the 39 Presidents that he bought during the war that used that system. It does show it in the parts book as well.
      Nick

Comment

Some of the Chevrolets of the immediate post war era had it, too.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Tucker used the same type of system: go to about 1:30

Comment

This option was available only on the 1938 model year cars (Studebaker). The purpose of course was to provide an uncluttered front floor board for three passenger comfort. When the column shift was introduced in 1939 it became unnecessary. As a factory installed option it listed at $30 and was available on both the Commanders and President. Graham and Nash also offered this option. Though rare today I know of three Studebakers so equipped.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I believe it was called a Cotal? It was fairly commonly seen installed on high performance cars in Europe too, i believe.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I posted a photo of Carl Sandberg's '38 dash here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=fatman

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                  This option was available only on the 1938 model year cars (Studebaker). The purpose of course was to provide an uncluttered front floor board for three passenger comfort. When the column shift was introduced in 1939 it became unnecessary. As a factory installed option it listed at $30 and was available on both the Commanders and President. Graham and Nash also offered this option. Though rare today I know of three Studebakers so equipped.
                  I thought '37 was the first year for the Miracle Shift.

Craig

Comment

I am redoing a 38 Studebaker Coupe and when my transmission was stolen from the transmission shop Larry Brooks was kind enough to sell me a 38 parts car that had vacuum shift. The transmission was good but unfortunately the parts car had been exposed to a grass fire and the interior shifter was melted - so am going back with floor shift. If anyone has the interior components let me know. The vacuum was only an assist to the dash mounted shift mechanism and did not provide any automatic transmission operation. I've been told that they are rather difficult to get properly adjusted. As Richard indicated when the 39 column was intorduced it was a far simpler and more economical approach. Studebaker provided the mounting bracket used by the vacuum shift in the firewall of all 38's but so my guess with the added cost incurred on every car and relatively few sales they had to lose a lot of money on this option.

Comment

I hope Studebaker's design worked better than a 1941 Chevrolet I owned years ago.
                      That Chevy shifted like moving a stick around in a bucket of cement.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Craig; Now you know better.
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          I thought '37 was the first year for the Miracle Shift.

Craig
                          Just checked the parts book and yes this was only offered on both Commanders and President models in 1938.
                          Nick

Comment

Vacuum shift was still available on Pontiacs about 1950 or 51.

Terry

Comment

The picture submitted by richard Quinn was the way i remember it. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X