Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise Control Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cruise Control Today

    I am off work today, so plan to finish installing the cruise control kit in the GT. It is the AudioVox CCS-100 model. I did all but the wiring a couple days ago, which was simple enough. I have been planning CC for a few years now, since my ankle aches more & more after holding the gas pedal down for more than 50 miles or so. Am thinking this mod will improve the driving experience at this point in my life !

  • #2
    Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    I am off work today, so plan to finish installing the cruise control kit in the GT. It is the AudioVox CCS-100 model. I did all but the wiring a couple days ago, which was simple enough. I have been planning CC for a few years now, since my ankle aches more & more after holding the gas pedal down for more than 50 miles or so. Am thinking this mod will improve the driving experience at this point in my life !
    Joe

    Pretty much the standard of the aftermarket industry for years. I've used several of the them over the years with excellent success and would not be without one for long distance driving. I've used cruise for so long that the first thing I do on any road when I reach speed is click it on. I have cruise on all my roadworthy vehicles.

    The last two I've installed have been the ex-Dana (Rostra) units which I like better because I can pick the signal up without the magnets and there is no vacuum necessary. The 74 Avanti will get a Rostra unit. That said, your unit is proven technology and will serve you well.

    Bob
    , ,

    Comment


    • #3
      I always put a very light accelerator pedal return spring on my cars. It helps with ankle strain.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

      17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

      Comment


      • #4
        Putting cruise on my 76 Avanti was one of the items on the secondary check list after rebuilding the motor and swapping in the 200 R4. Driving it to Gettysburg from Chicago last year was the clincher to get the cruise.
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

        Comment


        • #5
          Would you be so kind as to list part numbers that work on non computer cars. I would love to put cruise control on my truck. A m has no room to move if on throttle and long trips, cruise would let me adjust and also keep me legal. Truck has electric speedometer from a 700 r4 trans. Any advice appreciated.
          Randy Wilkin
          1946 M5 Streetrod
          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
            Would you be so kind as to list part numbers that work on non computer cars. I would love to put cruise control on my truck. A m has no room to move if on throttle and long trips, cruise would let me adjust and also keep me legal. Truck has electric speedometer from a 700 r4 trans. Any advice appreciated.
            Randy

            If you still have the signal generator on the 700R4 this Rostra universal unit should work just fine.

            http://www.rostra.com/universal-afte...-by-rostra.php

            No computer is required, the unit is self contained and controls with an electronic setup with no vacuum required.

            I'd call their 800-number to be sure your wave form is recognized by the unit but I'll bet it is.

            I've used two of them and had great luck, a third will go on my 74 Avanti, Hopefully taking the signal directly off the T-56 sender.

            Bob
            , ,

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
              I am off work today, so plan to finish installing the cruise control kit in the GT. It is the AudioVox CCS-100 model. I did all but the wiring a couple days ago, which was simple enough. I have been planning CC for a few years now, since my ankle aches more & more after holding the gas pedal down for more than 50 miles or so. Am thinking this mod will improve the driving experience at this point in my life !
              Joe, I installed your unit in my 64GT-works sweet! Hid the little on-off control on the underside of the console ash tray lid!Toughest part was figuring just how to install and line up the carb linkage. Dan

              Comment


              • #8
                Well the deed is done.
                After install, I took the car out for about 110 miles, and the more I drove it the better the CC worked. At first, it would hardly stay engaged more than 5-10 seconds. I came back home and changed a one of the on/off switch settings in the servo, and it was better. I then discovered it works better at 50 mph and up. At 65-70 on the interstate, for about 40 miles each way, it never disengaged, and maintained set speed within about 5 mph. The last 14 miles home were on a two lane road at around 55 mph, and it did not disengage.
                Compared to a modern car, it is a little primitive in that, with the 5 mph up/down window, it is just not as smooth. But it will work for me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  Well the deed is done.
                  After install, I took the car out for about 110 miles, and the more I drove it the better the CC worked. At first, it would hardly stay engaged more than 5-10 seconds. I came back home and changed a one of the on/off switch settings in the servo, and it was better. I then discovered it works better at 50 mph and up. At 65-70 on the interstate, for about 40 miles each way, it never disengaged, and maintained set speed within about 5 mph. The last 14 miles home were on a two lane road at around 55 mph, and it did not disengage.
                  Compared to a modern car, it is a little primitive in that, with the 5 mph up/down window, it is just not as smooth. But it will work for me.
                  Joe

                  Just one thought. If you are driving down the road and it tends to disengage occasionally, pull up on the brake pedal with your toe and see if it cures the problem. That will tell you there is an adjustment needed on the brake disconnect switch.

                  Don't ask me how I know!!!!

                  You'll love it on long trips. Bob
                  , ,

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A few years ago, a guy at work (our back-up weatherman) had a new Honda Civic...the base model. He wanted to add aftermarket cruise control but was told by the dealer that it couldn't be installed because of the factory not making any provisions for it. I couldn't believe it..I wonder if that's common among modern strippo cars that have a lot of computers?

                    I can see the need for CC. When I drove my Avanti 50 miles to Allen Barth's place, my foot was asleep by the time we got there via the freeway. Coming back on back roads was okay though. But if you do a lot of freeway driving, it would be nice, if not a requirement.
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

                    Washington State

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                      Joe

                      Just one thought. If you are driving down the road and it tends to disengage occasionally, pull up on the brake pedal with your toe and see if it cures the problem. That will tell you there is an adjustment needed on the brake disconnect switch.

                      Don't ask me how I know!!!!

                      You'll love it on long trips. Bob
                      Bob,
                      I am sure I am gonna like it on trips. Matter of fact, it was gettin so it was almost mandatory to come up with something to give my ankle a break.

                      The GT has a hydraulic, in line brake lite switch, and the pedal does not move around much. So I doubt it is the switch kicking it out, but its possible.

                      I am thinking maybe the VSS signal is a little weak. I used a VSS plugged into the speedo cable; the same one you had suggested before. It pulses 8000 per mile; the servo has a selector switch for 2000, 4000 and 8000, so of course I had set it to 8000.
                      I am gonna try connecting to the VSS coming off the driveshaft magnet, which supports the EFI. It is 2000 pules, but that is easy enough to set up in the servo.
                      I had noticed on the WinAldl (computer monitoring program) for the EFI, the speed off the magnet was way off, i.e. indicated 80 at an actual 60 MPH, but that may not be an issue with the cruise control, since it does not know speed, it only responds to the manual switches. We shall see.

                      If I never get it any better than it is now, it will be OK, but would like to fine tune it a little, if possible.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Every time I drive the car, the CC just works better and better. Today, went out for about 25 miles on a fairly straight Kentucky 2-lane, asphalt road. Set the CC to around 52; the car stayed within 3-4 MPH, and only kicked out once. It works good in either OD or straight third gear. Before, the up/down speed was so erratic it was hard to see it increasing MPG; if anything, it woulda gotten less.
                        I tried the other VSS but that did not help. Also, re-adjusted the linkage, which had maybe a tad too much slack, but that did not really help either. Seems like, what is helping most is just driving the car. I figure the CC kit has been sitting on a shelf for at least 20 years, son maybe just needs some time to loosen up. Not really sure, but it is definitely getting better with operation.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Joe, I don't think you'd want a cruise control to "loosen up". There's got to be some alignment, linkage or electronic adjustment that's causing the variation and kick out problems. Dan

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X