New Secret Serial Number Location? Or not, per CP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Secret Serial Number Location? Or not, per CP

The biggest treat about the "new" 1964 Wagonaire I bought in Texas last week would happen this afternoon, when I was able to locate the Secret Serial Number.

This might not seem like a Big Deal for you guys in arid climates, but it's a Great Big Deal for those of us elsewhere. (Heck, this is the first Studebaker I've ever owned on which I could find the Secret Serial Number, so I was pretty excited.)

The car's full Serial Number is 64V15196, but, of course, the two-digit model year prefix does not appear; only the V and the sequential serial number. Here is the stamping:

Now here's what's interesting. The frame is so nice on this car, I was just sure I would be able to find the Secret Serial Number. I started buzzing off the light (and I do mean light) surface rust with a 3M #03171 Paint and Rust Stripper Wheel. Just the ticket for taking off everything except base metal.

We have long found secret serial numbers on the rearmost bottom flange of the frame's rearmost crossmember, on the right (passenger side) of the frame. I cleaned that off thoroughly, and the flange in front of it (gas tank side of that crossmember) and found nothing. But the metal looked so good it made no sense to not find the SSN; I mean, I could see tiny die stretch marks where the crossmember had been stamped, for Pete's sake!

Frustration.

So I decided to buzz of the left side of the crossmember, rear flange; the flange toward the rear bumper. Again, nothing.

So, in final desperation, I buzzed off the front flange of the left (driver) side of the crossmember, right next to the gas tank: AND THERE IT WAS, BIG AS DAY, as you see above.

I've never heard of a secret serial number being stamped on the front flange on a car's left side, but it sure is on this Wagonaire. I believe I'll run this as an item in The Co-Operator, and encourage people to carefully buzz off and examine both lower flanges all the way across their Studebaker's rearmost cross member(s), to be sure they've covered all the bases before concluding their car's secret serial number has been lost to surface (or worse) rust. BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    So, in final desperation, I buzzed off the front flange of the left (driver) side of the crossmember, right next to the gas tank: AND THERE IT WAS, BIG AS DAY, as you see above.
    That's the exact location I've seen it on every 1964 thru '66 Lark-type. If you look in your February, 1989 TW, pg 21, you will see one from a 1964 model.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 02-07-2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Oh-Oh, the location of that 'secret' serial number sure sounds suspicious to me Bob. Better sell that Wagonaire to me cheap before it gets confiscated by the Indiana Department of Motor Vehicles!
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Well HEY, what do you guys expect, the poor Guy had to stand on his Head to stamp this, since the Frames would most likely be stacked right side up! Lol!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
          Oh-Oh, the location of that 'secret' serial number sure sounds suspicious to me Bob. Better sell that Wagonaire to me cheap before it gets confiscated by the Indiana Department of Motor Vehicles!
          'Sorry, Paul; a Brownsburg City Patrolman was here today to read and verify the Serial Number. He called the number in for a National OK and it came back clean, of course. So I've already applied for my new Indiana title and it is on the way.

'Can't blame you for trying, though. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            That's the exact location I've seen it on every 1964 thru '66 Lark-type. If you look in your February, 1989 TW, pg 21, you will see one from a 1964 model. Craig
            Geeze, Craig; that was 24 years ago! I can't even remember what I had for breakfast yesterday! (Anyway, thanks for the confirmation.) BP

Comment

Bob, you might have mentioned this elsewhere, but is this car white to match the others in your set?
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by fpstude View Post
                Bob, you might have mentioned this elsewhere, but is this car white to match the others in your set?
                Perry, try this recent Forum Post to get the whole Story:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...et-is-Complete
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks StudeRich, I sure missed the thread!
                  Perry
                  \'50 Business Champion
                  \'50 Starlight Champion
                  \'60 Lark Convertible,
                  \'63 GT R1,
                  \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I will check my 64 tomorrow to see where it is stamped and let you know.
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Those "fair weather" cars/trucks do have that advantage of being easy on the metallic parts. My dad said everytime they bought a parts car, when they stored it the first thing they did was remove any kind of floor covering and trunk mats. There is a '62 4 door sitting there that has not had two doors or seats in it since the early 1970's - it still has about 1/3 of the factory paint on the floors... I am always amazed to see original cars from this part of the country that the padded dash is not a mini version of the Grand Canyon...

Any ideas as to where the SSN might be located on the early Larks? I have thought about if from time-to-time on my 52K 60SW4...it spent its entire life in Texas until I drove it up to PA in 2005.

The previous owner brushed the frame off with a still bristled brush and shot some black paint on it about 15 years back. This is a shot of the underside back in August when I was putting on the new stainless exhaust.

Last edited by 62champ; 02-08-2013, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                        Any ideas as to where the SSN might be located on the early Larks? I have thought about if from time-to-time on my 52K 60SW4...it spent its entire life in Texas until I drove it up to PA in 2005.

The previous owner brushed the frame off with a still bristled brush and shot some black paint on it about 15 years back.
                        The SSN will be located on one of those rearmost crossmember lower flanges discussed in the OP, Patrick. Start buzzing off the flanges as I did until you find a faint set of stampings, if you are able to do so. Good luck! BP

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                          Any ideas as to where the SSN might be located on the early Larks?
                          On that same flange on the rear crossmember, but in the center.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            On that same flange on the rear crossmember, but in the center.

Craig
                            I do believe Craig has a pic of one from a 61 Lark somewhere............
                            Evan Davis
                            Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

I note that a 1 is used, not an I (for a 1).
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X