Merged: Horrible news! 50 Studebakers among items destroyed in Chesnee fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50 Studebakers up in smoke!!!

By Googling "417 Studebaker Road, Chesnee, SC" you can get some idea of the "BEFORE." There does appear to be many more vehicles (Studes?) stored out and about on the property.

Comment

Now why wouldn't someone with that kind of collection spend a little more and put in a sprinkler system? Was there any automatic fire fighting apparatus in the structure?
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

What a horrible loss, both personally and for the Stude community. God willing, something can be salvaged.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

This looks like it MAY be the building they lost, it's huge!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=417+Studebaker+Road,+Chesnee,+SC&hl=en&ll=35.172684,-81.858063&spn=0.000423,0.000892&sll=48.753312,-122.46131&sspn=0.087373,0.22831&t=h&hnear=417+Studebaker+Rd,+Chesnee,+Cherokee,+ South+Carolina+29323&z=20
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

What a terrible terrible loss! I don't even know them and my heart goes out to them. A tragic day for them and the Studebaker Universe. When so many times we hear about rusted out hulks or other treasures lost to the crushers that is bad enough, but to lose such a trove of classic iron is a dagger. My wife always tries to see the bright side. I am thankful no lives were lost.

Jim

Comment

What a catastrophe, thankful that no one was hurt though.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Good lord that looks like it had to be a three alarm or worse fire! That is just gut wrenching. I'm glad they are ok, but what a loss. I certainly hope something can be saved out of that.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Scott it is very doubtful in a rural area like this that any sprinkler system could be supported by the water mains. Pumper trucks aren't allowed to pump from them as the lines collapse from the suction. Generally, those of us in rural areas pay huge premiums because of the lack of infrastructure to support firefighters. Those small "fire hydrants" you see are actually "flush hydrants" used to release air and purge lines of debris when line breaks. Here, it is against the law to use them for fires.
                  Jim
                  Often in error, never in doubt
                  http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

so very sad! my heart and prayers go out to David and Sandra...
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I'm at a loss for words. A very sad situation. Very happy to hear that there were no injuries or worse. Even with the best insurance, it's only money and can't come close to replacing the loss. I've had one classic car catch fire. It was from a fuel line leak near the distributor. Only burnt part the engine compartment, wiring and hoses. The hood got blistered. I was devistated by that. I just can't imagine what is going through these folks minds. What do you do or say to console them?
                      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                      1950 Champion Convertible
                      1950 Champion 4Dr
                      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Wow. I had no idea fire hydrants could be so useless. That's the downside of living in the rural areas I guess. It's painful to see this happen to anyone.
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

That is just awful. Such a lot of work to loose.
                          I'm glad they are all right, but they must be grieving this.

Comment

What a sad thing to happen..
                            They are unhurt..and that is the most important thing..however all of us know what a loss of our treasures would feel like..

very tragic loss..
                            AKA Ken
                            What I do when I am not here..
                            http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Comment

Makes me sick to my stomach to even think about this. It's impossible to know what to say.
                              Sue

Comment

I guess, as sad as this is, it could have been people dead Studebakers alive. Cars can be replaced people only remembered.
                                John Clements
                                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                                X