Small World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small World

I just thought I would share this with everyone. I went into the local auto parts store for spark plugs yesterday, and of course the girl behind the counter asked me what vehicle they were for. As usual, when I told her it was for my '63 Studebaker, she laughed and told me that that was not in her computer system. She followed it up however with the story that her Great Great Grandfather was Raymond Loewy and he had designed many cars for Studebaker. She then talked about how her grandmother had owner many Studebakers when she was younger.

I find it interesting when people get to make personal connections and stir up memories because of these older cars.

You bet, Colin. Here's another:

Howe Clark and I were driving back from south Texas last Friday afternoon with the "new" Daytona Wagonaire on the car trailer. We stopped at a rest area in Arkansas.

A trucker parks in front of us, gets out, and announces he used to be a member of SDC and had sold his R-series truck when he never got around to working on it. 'Said he was from Lowell IN (that's up near Chicago) and had been a member of the Chicago-area Blackhawk Chapter SDC and did we know the late Ken Holste....which, of course, we both did!

All this along I-40 in Arkansas! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Meskell View Post
      I just thought I would share this with everyone. I went into the local auto parts store for spark plugs yesterday, and of course the girl behind the counter asked me what vehicle they were for. As usual, when I told her it was for my '63 Studebaker, she laughed and told me that that was not in her computer system. She followed it up however with the story that her Great Great Grandfather was Raymond Loewy and he had designed many cars for Studebaker. She then talked about how her grandmother had owner many Studebakers when she was younger.

I find it interesting when people get to make personal connections and stir up memories because of these older cars.
      This doesn't quite "compute" with me. Raymond Loewy had one daughter. Offhand, I do not remember her having children. Even if she did, she would not have been born long enough ago to be the great grandmother of someone of the age to work in a store.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

LOL! Gary, you're a piece of work (I know, I know, you'll have a problem with that proclamation on technical & grammatical grounds)! Colin spelled "Loewy" correctly - doesn't he get any points for that?
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Gary might be a piece of something but not sure it would be spelled WORK, another 4 letter word come's to mind.

Could be KING
          Last edited by toymobile; 02-06-2013, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I believe the daughter had one son. Seems like he was pictured in the Avanti magazine last year.
            Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO

Comment

Interesting thread.... got a call tonight from a friend in the hospital. Asked me to check on his dog and make sure she had water and food. My friend, Ralph "Lefty" Davis was married to Betty Studebaker... the grand-daughter of John Studebaker. Betty died some years ago but what a delightful couple and Studebaker connection.

Regards,
              John Brayton

Comment

Working...
              X