SteelTech Soulution Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteelTech Soulution Help

Hello, I have a 1951 Commander LandCruiser. Currently, I am installing a stude 259 full flow motor. I have been thinking really hard about installing a Chevy 350 or 400 automatic transmission. I have tried emailing SteelTech Soulutions. I do not think it is getting or going through his spam filters. I need the phone number of SteelTech Solutions. Also, I live really close to Sacramento, Ca. Anyone near me who has installed the transmission adaptor onto a stude motor. How hard is it to install? Im thinking: Do I use the same cross members or install a new one. Where would I get retrofit? Anyone out there, please advise. Steel Tech states," he uses a common starter off a Ford". It would be cheaper in purchasing a starter from the local parts house. Anyone know which model or year of starter I need. One more thing, any tips on engine swap on my full flow 259 motor.

I put a full flow 289 in my 52 Commander, but I used a 63 Lark 3 speed OD transmission and bellhousing. The only problem I had is that the column shift rod hit the accelerator linkage mounted on the rear of the engine, so I had to use a cable linkage. I used the 63 Lark rear motor mount

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I put a full flow 289 in my 52 Commander, but I used a 63 Lark 3 speed OD transmission and bellhousing. The only problem I had is that the column shift rod hit the accelerator linkage mounted on the rear of the engine, so I had to use a cable linkage. I used the 63 Lark rear motor mount

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

The begging question is why? I see no real advantage to a Chevy 350 or 400 Turbo over a Flightomatic.

quote:Originally posted by royvaldez

Hello, I have a 1951 Commander LandCruiser. Currently, I am installing a stude 259 full flow motor. I have been thinking really hard about installing a Chevy 350 or 400 automatic transmission. I have tried emailing SteelTech Soulutions. I do not think it is getting or going through his spam filters. I need the phone number of SteelTech Solutions. Also, I live really close to Sacramento, Ca. Anyone near me who has installed the transmission adaptor onto a stude motor. How hard is it to install? Im thinking: Do I use the same cross members or install a new one. Where would I get retrofit? Anyone out there, please advise. Steel Tech states," he uses a common starter off a Ford". It would be cheaper in purchasing a starter from the local parts house. Anyone know which model or year of starter I need. One more thing, any tips on engine swap on my full flow 259 motor.
        Mark Anderson
        1965 Cruiser
        http://home.alltel.net/anderm
        Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

The begging question is why? I see no real advantage to a Chevy 350 or 400 Turbo over a Flightomatic.

Mark Anderson
          1965 Cruiser
          http://home.alltel.net/anderm
          Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

Roy,

Fairborn Studebaker Parts sells such an adaptor and in my opinion, it's better made. If you want a GM trans WITH OD, it's gotta be the 700R4 or 200R4. The 350 is not an OD tranny.

BTW, if you really want a STS adaptor, I've got one that's never been used that I'll sell you cheap.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Roy,

Fairborn Studebaker Parts sells such an adaptor and in my opinion, it's better made. If you want a GM trans WITH OD, it's gotta be the 700R4 or 200R4. The 350 is not an OD tranny.

BTW, if you really want a STS adaptor, I've got one that's never been used that I'll sell you cheap.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

As mentioned, there isnt much advantage to installing a 350, and a 400
                would rob too much power to operate from your little 259 V8. If you
                want to go through the trouble/expense, you HAVE to use a 700 or 200
                to make it worth your while. The OD, and lower gears in the 700 will
                really add spunk to your 259. I was very happy with the install in my
                Hawk I did years ago. I bought the Steeltech (back then it was just
                known as "Dave Levesque") since it was the ONLY one available back in
                the day. It was like a dark cloud was lifted. The unit worked fine,
                though as others have mentioned it was a little rough round the edges.
                For the lockup converter you need a lock up brain, B&M makes one, the
                Hawk has a crossmember RIGHT where the rear mount on the GM trans is.
                Your Land Cruiser would need a custom crossmember. I measured drive-
                shafts at the salvage yard, and used one the right length. You also
                need to rigg up an actuator for the TV cable on either the 700 or 200
                which it critical (not like the kickdown shaft on the FOM). Overall
                I would say the STS adapter was worth the money. I havent seen the 2
                more recent copies personally, though I have read they are pretty.

I did add a hole in the plate to allow access to torque the converter
                bolts to the proper spec.

Tom

Hello, I have a 1951 Commander LandCruiser. ... I have been thinking really hard about installing a Chevy 350 or 400 automatic transmission. ... Anyone near me who has installed the transmission adaptor onto a stude motor. How hard is it to install? Im thinking: Do I use the same cross members or install a new one.
                '63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

As mentioned, there isnt much advantage to installing a 350, and a 400
                  would rob too much power to operate from your little 259 V8. If you
                  want to go through the trouble/expense, you HAVE to use a 700 or 200
                  to make it worth your while. The OD, and lower gears in the 700 will
                  really add spunk to your 259. I was very happy with the install in my
                  Hawk I did years ago. I bought the Steeltech (back then it was just
                  known as "Dave Levesque") since it was the ONLY one available back in
                  the day. It was like a dark cloud was lifted. The unit worked fine,
                  though as others have mentioned it was a little rough round the edges.
                  For the lockup converter you need a lock up brain, B&M makes one, the
                  Hawk has a crossmember RIGHT where the rear mount on the GM trans is.
                  Your Land Cruiser would need a custom crossmember. I measured drive-
                  shafts at the salvage yard, and used one the right length. You also
                  need to rigg up an actuator for the TV cable on either the 700 or 200
                  which it critical (not like the kickdown shaft on the FOM). Overall
                  I would say the STS adapter was worth the money. I havent seen the 2
                  more recent copies personally, though I have read they are pretty.

I did add a hole in the plate to allow access to torque the converter
                  bolts to the proper spec.

Tom

Hello, I have a 1951 Commander LandCruiser. ... I have been thinking really hard about installing a Chevy 350 or 400 automatic transmission. ... Anyone near me who has installed the transmission adaptor onto a stude motor. How hard is it to install? Im thinking: Do I use the same cross members or install a new one.
                  '63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Hey....Mr. Big and I agree here!

The one Fairborn sells is much nicer than Steeltech's. I know I have both.
                    Also agree that the T-350 and T-400...while both are good transmissions and STILL have their place in life, behind a Stude engine isn't one of'em.

I personally like the T-200-4R the best of the two GM overdrive 3spds.

As for the stock Stude trans. It also has its place in life...it's just that a lighter, less power robbing modern O.D. trans. is much better suited for todays driving. Be it driving down the highway or playing on the drag strip or what ever in between.

Mike

Comment

Hey....Mr. Big and I agree here!

The one Fairborn sells is much nicer than Steeltech's. I know I have both.
                      Also agree that the T-350 and T-400...while both are good transmissions and STILL have their place in life, behind a Stude engine isn't one of'em.

I personally like the T-200-4R the best of the two GM overdrive 3spds.

As for the stock Stude trans. It also has its place in life...it's just that a lighter, less power robbing modern O.D. trans. is much better suited for todays driving. Be it driving down the highway or playing on the drag strip or what ever in between.

Mike

Comment

Ed is still waiting for his "steel-tech refund that was promised last
                        October and numerous e-mails later.
                        Stay away !
                        The adaptor plate that Michael makes and sells is a very nice unit as well. His mail is spllkys@1st.net (advertised on page 59 of Autust 2007 Turning Wheels

53commander HDTP
                        53 Champion HDTP
                        61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                        64 Champ long bed V8
                        64 Champ long bed V8
                        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Ed is still waiting for his "steel-tech refund that was promised last
                          October and numerous e-mails later.
                          Stay away !
                          The adaptor plate that Michael makes and sells is a very nice unit as well. His mail is spllkys@1st.net (advertised on page 59 of Autust 2007 Turning Wheels

53commander HDTP
                          53 Champion HDTP
                          61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                          64 Champ long bed V8
                          64 Champ long bed V8
                          55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                          53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Hey guy's, I really like the input that was given on this topic. 700r / 200r sounds really great. Anymore input!

Comment

Hey guy's, I really like the input that was given on this topic. 700r / 200r sounds really great. Anymore input!

Comment

Working...
                              X