No announcement yet.

seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOTHING!!! ...beats a red car with a fully red interior, nothing at all!
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
      One PackardHawk built the same also, white seats, red carpets.
      Any idea what the exterior color was on that PH Brian?

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
        Cammander55 The factory red is almost maroon. Depends on how you see it one person would call it maroon one red. Orange to much work going into this to make a clown car out of it.
        Dunno about making it a "clown car" 'cause factory equipped Avantis with ORANGE seats are a pretty rare item. Make it a rare Hawk with ORANGE seats and it'll really be different.

Comment

Wow! I have a complete black set from my 62 and a complete beige set from the 63 and am having the same thoughts. I really like the white but yeah there is that cleaning thing. I vote for the read first then the black.

Comment

One of the Major things that makes a '64 GT Hawk a rare and beautiful '64, is those Door Panels with the '64 only trim, Walnut, Carpet and the Chevrons.

Those need to be cleaned and saved or exactly copied because Maroon is what it came with, NOT
            Red, not Burgundy so a Seat Color change would look terrible in any Color but Maroon. That makes it a no brainer to me.

There are soooo many '62's, quite a few '63's but virtually
            NO '64's left because there never were very many, to retain it's beauty and value it needs to look Factory.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Steve, I agree with Rich, that the door panels should dictate the seat color. Therefore, the Maroon/Red is what would be the proper fit. Your preference is the most important issue however, so what YOU like is what you should do. Good luck, I've enjoyed watching your progress on this project.B.V.

Comment

The door panels are good just need a good cleaning and new carpet on the bottom. I'am going to redo the woodgrain while I'am at it. The headliner I think I can use after a good cleaning. Does have a small mouse hole right at the rt sun vizor about the size of your thumb that I'am going to have repaired and thinking of puting a studebaker hat pin on both side right in that spot. Only one that will know are you guy's and me. Carpet needs new and plan to sound deaden and spray insulate floor and fire wall along with the pad from SI. The seat are the only thing I'am not sure about. My buddy says stay red as do most of you guy's. It had a cord covered in clear for welting to try to give it a woodgrain look from the factory that I don't like. I really like the look of stichted pleats better than the factory seams and leaning toward a little more of a rolled look on the pleats. I dont care if its not just as it was new. This will be a nice looking car but still a driver. Plan to drive it every nice day from about may 1st though nov. 1st.
                Last edited by swvalcon; 02-05-2013, 06:57 AM.

Comment

My black Hawk had original red seats. I ended up going with black and red on the seats with horizontal pleating. The seats are primarily black with red "inserts" and red piping. In my opinion looks pretty sharp. Goes with the red interior panels and ties it all in with the back exterior and carpet. I would post pictures, but I am traveling and pics are all on the computer at home.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    Any idea what the exterior color was on that PH Brian?
                    Midnight Black Ed, with a white dash pad and a gold dash overlay, red and white steering wheel.
                    Brian Greenall
                    Melbourne, OZ
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                      /Cut/It had a cord covered in clear for welting to try to give it a woodgrain look from the factory that I don't like./Cut/
                      It had a What? Is this the Windlace, the Piping OR? Walnut & Clear???
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I was talking about the welting or piping or what ever you want to call it in the seat and I can see what their intent was. It was suppose to look like wood grain to match the dash but IMI it looks like crap.

Comment

The seat piping is not wood grain, as it was the same color as the vinyl when it came from the Studebaker factory. I've seen other dark red Studebaker seats from this era with which the piping has aged and turned to a bronze color. My '63 Hawk and '63 Daytona convert both had the original piping and turned into a bronze color. When I had the seats recovered in the OEM dark red vinyl for the Hawk, I used a dark gold colored piping as I liked the contrast and it resembles the color of the aged piping. Different strokes for different folks!

First photo is of my original upholstery (notice that the old piping has lost it's red color), the second is after having them recovered (seat removed to install speaker for new radio, I couldnt find a good photo for a direct comparisson but you can see the new gold piping).

Last edited by Milaca; 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Brent are you sure I've seen so may of them and they all look the same. I wouldn't think they could all fade just alike.

Comment

Brent your right. I just cleaned up the bottom of the back seat and back in the far corner where the sun couldnt get to it the piping is red then fades out to where its clear the rest of the way around. So it must of been clear and then died to what ever color they needed. Now red thats more like it. That clear where you could see the cord on the inside I just couldn't see.

Comment

Working...
                              X