Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New wire wheels

Hi all!

I thought I would share the lastest improvment on the Hawk, new Dayton wire wheels. It took them three months to complete, as I had them paint the rims the same Apache red as the original wheels. I had them made 6" wide, with a 4" off set, over all they set 1/2" wider than the stock ones and help get rid of the "narrow guage" stance of the originals.

What do you think?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (12).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1737995Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (14).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1737996Click image for larger version

Name:	three quarter wheel shot.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1737997

I had to do something, the old wheels where to bent up and out of true, I tried to have them straitened, but memory had set in, and it proved out not to work.

These improved Immensely, the car rides much better now.

Doug

Are those the vintage series with the center hubs? I got a set of their direct bolt on's, all chrome with stainless spokes for my Avanti last year. I had toyed with the idea of the painted rims, but stuck with the traditional chrome look and 3 bar "knock-off" look center hubs. The red rims with the center caps really give the Hawk a different look. Nicely done.
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Yes they are the vintage classics that they offer on the web site. I liked the large spoke count, and the weight rating ( over 1100lbs). Plus they can be used with a tubeless tire.

Now if the Coker tires were as good. They were all out of round, and two of them required over 6.5 ounces of weight to balance! I had to have them shaved, and still have to use alot of weight on them. Not happy!

Doug
      Last edited by Gold Hawk Doug; 02-02-2013, 01:28 PM.

Comment

That seems like a ton of weights to add on. I would contact Coker and let them know about the weight issue with the pair of tires.
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Unusual what You did with the wheels.......I like it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Hawk Doug View Post
            Now if the Coker tires were as good. They were all out of round, and two of them required over 6.5 ounces of weight to balance! I had to have them shaved, and still have to use alot of weight on them. Not happy!
            Doug
            Some people swear by Cokers, and some people swear at them.

There is a very long thread on the HAMB about Cokers and problems people have had.......but to be fair, there seem to be a lot of people post that they have had great service out of them. I know several people who have had significant issues with them.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Nice looking wheels.

Apache RED Wheels
              on a White '57 Golden Hawk? They should be White, but if the Interior is Red, I can see why someone might paint them or even very special order them.
              Not to mention that Red Wheels were a very popular modification in those days.

But if it actually originally had Silver Fins it would be very unusual anyway.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ya know Rich, I went back and looked at the photos, and the do look silver, but they're actually gold.

Funny how the camera sees things at times.

The car came with rims painted red. They match the red in the side grills up front, and the interior.

Some were in the past some one wanted it to look like a 400E. In pictures I've seen of the real ones the rims were painted red I believe.

Comment

I like it, it looks very unique.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Hey Paul, thanks for the tip about the H.A.M.B. forum.

A lot of good info there. Your right about the Coker threads. I guess the most fair thing to say is they have a occasional quality control problem. I must have got ones from a momentary laps.

I have in my shop a brand new Dereck Weaver dynamic balancer, and on every other balance job I've done with it, have never had to us more than a few ounces. On the Cokers, it took 3.5 to 4 Oz. to get to zero, after the shave job, and I still get a vibration out of them.

From what I read, if I go down to Les Schwab, and have them do a Road Forced balance job, and they prove out to be unusable, I can fax them the readout, and they will warranty the tires from there.

I just hope the replacements will be better.
                    Last edited by Gold Hawk Doug; 02-02-2013, 10:27 PM. Reason: can't spell for beans

Comment

Doug,

The car looks really handsome with those wheels. If they were all chrome, it probably wouldn't be nearly as striking. Now if the rims were the only items red, maybe not but there is enough red visible elsewhere it works quite nicely.

I haven't had experience with Coker tyres other than mounting the clincher type motorcycle tyres. I cannot testify to their quality or durability from first hand knowledge.

Back in the 60's we had modified a car tyre shaving machine to shave motorcycle tyres, primarily for Bonneville. In that era, the 5.10 x 16" tyres used commonly on Harley's were notoriously bad for being lumpy. Goodyears weren't too bad, Avon's slightly better but the Cheng Shins at half the price were really out of round! We had one come in that we took out over half the tread depth in one small area before we got to even touching the top of the tread in the "smallest" area. We ended up putting on about 10 lead nipple weights, it looked the Devil! This guy wasn't going to go fast enough but some of the Bonneville guys gave us feedback that if the tyre was too far out of round to begin with, the resulting variation in tyre wall thickness would cause the tyre to run out of round at speed as the thicker wall would bulge out the casing more in that spot. Vibration from a now out of round tyre resulted. Too bad the weight couldn't be placed inside the tyre casing in the thin spots.

This could be what is happening to your tyres.

There's my 2 bits,

Ken

Comment

Ken, I've had similar experiences as your self.

I suspect in this case, either the carcas was not centered in the mold, or the cord wraps are not of equal tension. Each ply wrap is like a small spring, and although they cannot be all perfect, they should be close in tensial strength. If not than you have hard, and soft spots around the circumphrence of the tire, as the side wall flexes differently in different spots. This would cause the "bounce" that equates to vibration, even though the balance is correct. Very annoying!

Thanks for the compliment on the Hawk. As you can see in this pic, it originally came to me with red rims, with Speedster wheel covers, and hub caps:

[IMG][/IMG]

In this pic you can see the red high lights that are the side scoops, the crome hood louvres are painted red, and the red pin striping, and of course the red interior:

[IMG][/IMG]

Seeing as it came to me with a wire wheel look to it already, it wasn't that much of a change to the new rims. Part of the reason I bought the car was that I thought it was "different", and "striking," and Studebaker beautiful all at the same time.

Doug

Comment

Very Nice!
                          I too think Hawks look great with wires!!
                          Good Roads
                          Brian
                          Brian Woods
                          woodysrods@shaw.ca
                          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Me too !

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                            Very Nice!
                            I too think Hawks look great with wires!!
                            Good Roads
                            Brian
                            I think they "make the car" !
                            Attached Files
                            1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                            Lewisville,NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Hawk Doug View Post
                              Ken, I've had similar experiences as your self.

I suspect in this case, either the carcas was not centered in the mold, or the cord wraps are not of equal tension. Each ply wrap is like a small spring, and although they cannot be all perfect, they should be close in tensial strength. If not than you have hard, and soft spots around the circumphrence of the tire, as the side wall flexes differently in different spots. This would cause the "bounce" that equates to vibration, even though the balance is correct. Very annoying!

Thanks for the compliment on the Hawk. As you can see in this pic, it originally came to me with red rims, with Speedster wheel covers, and hub caps:

[IMG][/IMG]

In this pic you can see the red high lights that are the side scoops, the crome hood louvres are painted red, and the red pin striping, and of course the red interior:

[IMG][/IMG]

Seeing as it came to me with a wire wheel look to it already, it wasn't that much of a change to the new rims. Part of the reason I bought the car was that I thought it was "different", and "striking," and Studebaker beautiful all at the same time.

Doug
                              Off topic but--- I wondered how You like this Hawk?....is it a good driver?...plenty of power?....The car really looks great!

Comment

Working...
                              X