Avanti Paint Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Paint Issues

I know there were some issues with the factory paint adhering to the cars.

In the midst of acquiring a 2003 and want to know if any potential problems to be faced.

Does anyone know off hand what years that applies to? Thanks//
    acedrummond@gmail.com

Parker Colorado - Avanti Owner Since 6, Feb 2013

Earlier cars. A '03 sould be good to go from the factory. I know in the '70s and '80s (South Bend cars) there were problems with the paint literally flying off. (I know a guy that worked there and he will quote me on that.) But a "new" Avanti shouldn't have any paint problems unless it has been repainted since new.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

The Avanti paint problem was circa 1983. A 2003 is several iterations of paint, company ownership, factory location, etc. away from that. I have not known of any paint issues on the 2001-2007 Avantis.

Good luck with the 2003 What year Pontiac is the Avanti that you are buying based on? How is it titled/registered?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        The Avanti paint problem was circa 1983. A 2003 is several iterations of paint, company ownership, factory location, etc. away from that. I have not known of any paint issues on the 2001-2007 Avantis.

Good luck with the 2003. What year Pontiac is the Avanti that you are buying based on? How is it titled/registered?
        EDIT: By checking your other posts, I see the answers to the above.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

My 2002 Avanti has some very minor issues with paint...the earlier 2001-2002 cars were slightly different from one another in some respects...some have backup lights in the rear bumper while at least one has them in the trunk lid as original Avantis did. Some have the headlight area blacked out while some have it painted body color...some have chrome "Avanti" emblems and some have blacked out emblems and maybe a few other differences. So it seems a number of them were prototypes in various ways or maybe for specific customer orders.

Mine has a very few tiny bubbles in the paint, so it tells me the guys assembling and finishing the car were still learning their way around doing it. The issues are extremely minor and I'm aware of it since I do all the detailing...any normal observation wouldn't find them noticeable. My car is either number 20 or 22 out of the 53 Firebird-based cars assembled...depending on which factory person you believe (I have documents from two different persons there at the time giving me two different answers).

This has nothing to do with the paint adhesion issues during the Steve Blake era. That's a story in and of itself.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

2003 Paint

Originally posted by studegary View Post

Good luck with the 2003 What year Pontiac is the Avanti that you are buying based on? How is it titled/registered?

The car I am checking out is a 2003 and from the s/n it appears to be a 2002 donor car. It is titled as an Avanti 2003.

I have it going to a local Chevy dealer for mechanical inspect later this week and if all goes as planned title should pass next week.

Paint issue is that there is some slight orange peel look to the finish. I have a body guy looking at that to see what can be done to possibly improve it some. I was just concerned with the Avanti paint isue I knew there was at some point.

Getting kind of excited about it and looking forward to it working out. Will post pics when it happens too. Thanks//
            acedrummond@gmail.com

Comment

This is a second car. The first one on eBay did not meet reserve and buyer won't return call or eMail. I've found a second one that looks pretty good and as I said getting it checked out now.

The registration & title on #1 was Firebird this one is Avanti. Different state different way it works. I'm checking with Colorado tomorrow to see what they will take it as. Insurance companies OK with it either way.
              acedrummond@gmail.com

Comment

Neuman and Altman also had an issue or two with paint.I had a conversation with the original owner of my '76. He traded the car back to N & A for a new '79 Avanti because the paint was fading(Tawny Gold). He ended up being disappointed with the '79 as it was not the car the '76 had been.
                sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Supposedly after Nate Altman passed away Avanti quality control suffered from the lack of Nate's leadership. I've read things continued on a downward slide until Steve Blake bought the company and instituted changes...some good and some not so good as history as shown.

I guess it's fair to say Avanti Motors would never had succeeded as it did without Nate Altman's vision and leadership. The company pretty much drifted after he was gone.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

My '76 was delivered to Hatboro PA 10/01/76. Nate Altman died in April '76 so the car probably was an early victim of slipping quality control. Small businesses have the problem of successfully passing to the next generation as the successors do not have the same vision and drive as the originators of the business. Nate Altman clearly was the vision of Avanti Motors.
                    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                      Neuman and Altman also had an issue or two with paint.I had a conversation with the original owner of my '76. He traded the car back to N & A for a new '79 Avanti because the paint was fading(Tawny Gold). He ended up being disappointed with the '79 as it was not the car the '76 had been.
                      Perhaps that is because the 1976 had a 400 and the 1979 had a 350.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by acedrummond View Post
                        This is a second car. The first one on eBay did not meet reserve and buyer won't return call or eMail. I've found a second one that looks pretty good and as I said getting it checked out now.

The registration & title on #1 was Firebird this one is Avanti. Different state different way it works. I'm checking with Colorado tomorrow to see what they will take it as. Insurance companies OK with it either way.
                        Thanks for clearing that up. Obviously my original assumption was incorrect. You were lucky to find another one for sale.
                        Registration/title for these varies from Avanti to Pontiac to state issued number, usually depending on the state that the Avanti was originally titled/registered in. They came from Avanti with paperwork for both Avanti and Pontiac (later Ford).
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

That could very well be the reason, but wouldn't the 350 have been around the advertised 175 horse power the 400 had? The 400 would have had more torque than the 350 though.
                          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by acedrummond View Post

I was able to acquire a really nice 2003 convertible. Here is a picture of the car it is red the other object is me!
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	me_005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1678945
                            Car had 9550 miles on it and was well cared for. I had it checked out at a GM dealer near the point of sale and no problems found. In the process of relocating it to home and will be on the road for 3 days. So much for 9550 as already north of 10k! Car runs well and just a little loud (magna flow exhaust)in the cabin that makes radio difficult to hear.

I'm thrilled with it as I have been looking for one for some time now. I had a '57 Hawk in my youth and always longed for an Avanti. After looking at a lot of older models I settled on a newer one as I want to enjoy and not be working on it all the time. This is really a great compromise for me.

I own it now for 8 hours and have already had 4 or 5 people ask me about it and compliment the look and the sound of it too!

I hope to show it at CO Springs this year.
                            acedrummond@gmail.com

Comment

very nice!!!
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X