• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Handles

Have these:

Assume they fit a '58 Scotty, and...??

REALLY STUPID QUESTION!:

Are these anything like the handles on a '62 GT Hawk?
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Will fit 1953 and up. The two top concave handles are early; bottom concave handles are later.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Stainless Steel concave handles are '53 to '60, Chrome Plated convex handles are '61 to '66 Studebaker.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks, Rich!
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

From '53 thru '66 - those handles - chrome or stainless - will FIT & function on everything Stude produced except C-cabs and Avantis. Oh, and they also won't fit Clarke floor polishers, Onan power units, Gravely lawn tractors, J-47s, license-built REO military trucks, tire changers nor cans of STP.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
            From '53 thru '66 - those handles - chrome or stainless - will FIT & function on everything Stude produced except C-cabs and Avantis. Oh, and they also won't fit Clarke floor polishers, Onan power units, Gravely lawn tractors, J-47s, license-built REO military trucks, tire changers nor cans of STP.
            Well, shucky-darn... I have a can of STP I was hoping to mount all four on. <G>
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Definitely not on avantis .... To those out there who may be looking to replace interior door handles on an avanti, keep your old ones. The repro units on mine look bright and shinny but the passenger side door stripped in first week of use and the driver's side door stripped after 5 months. The metal teeth inside the repro handles strip very easily on the cam protruding from door. My guess is the quality of metal used in the repro isn't up to the job or the specs on the teeth are slightly off.

I plan on taking the original ones and sending them off to someone who does the Liquid Chrome process. I figure the original interior handles lasted 50 years maybe they are made of a better metal. Anyone in the SDC doing the spray on liquid chrome restoration?
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386
              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                Well, shucky-darn... I have a can of STP I was hoping to mount all four on. <G>
                Four would've been a bit much, but ONE of them - installed and sealed on a cleaned and sterilized STP can would make quite a mug for cold drinks. Maybe even work one of those modern thermal mugs INTO a used - possibly trimmed can.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                  Anyone in the SDC doing the spray on liquid chrome restoration?
                  Check with Jim McCuan, jlmccuan on this forum.
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...?2164-jlmccuan
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                    But they WILL fit an old White truck or two!!

Craig

Comment

Picked up a business card at the Springfield meet from Brian Taylor from Nixa, MO
                      WWW.CHROMEITNOW.COM
                      Tel 417-773-9019
                      sigpic
                      55 President Deluxe
                      64 Commander
                      66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by 2moredoors View Post
                        Picked up a business card at the Springfield meet from Brian Taylor from Nixa, MO
                        WWW.CHROMEITNOW.COM
                        Tel 417-773-9019
                        I'll check with Jim McCaun, he and I have some other things going but I don't remember him doing the liquid chrome. I contacted Brian Taylor (as I was in Springfield too and remember their tent), He said they had already given up on that business.
                        sigpic
                        John
                        63R-2386

Comment

John, Jim does have the setup and while I think he's still perfecting it, he's done a few pieces and they looked pretty nice.

For a door handle, I think I would prefer real chrome plating, just for durability.

Comment

Michael and Linda are sending me another set of repop handles along with my originals. We have some local chrome shops here I might show them to and ask about chroming but as a back up the liquid chrome may be an option. I remember the pitch was that it was suppose to be durable.
                            sigpic
                            John
                            63R-2386

Comment

Roscoe, they do too fit STP cans!

Nanny-nanny-boo-boo!
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X