Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fund-raising and old auto events. What works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fund-raising and old auto events. What works?

My goal is to host an old auto event - not necessarily just Studes - at which funds are to be raised and donated to a health-related cause. If successful, I'd hope that it could be repeated at appropriate intervals, such as annually.

With so many passionately interested folks out there on this good forum, there is, here, a great resource of car club experience.

I'd like to ask to pick your brains for suggestions as to what worked really well for raising funds. It would seem to be a big boost if an event was able to get funds from members of the public who attended or sponsored, not just leaning solely on the participating old vehicle owners. Has anyone any seen a smaller-chapter event that able to do this?

Static or driving events, insurance and man-power issues - please discuss it all. What worked best, in your experience? What new ideas do you have that you could share?

An estimate of the number of people available to run this event would be, say, about 10 initially.

What would you do? Your thots and suggestions would be much appreciated!!

THANKS
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Hey Roger,

You have personally run some very successful events in the past. I look forward to some more and yes, I will help if you proceed.

There are some extremely good causes out there, and I'm sure that car people and friends will support your venture. I should warn you: My cynical side says there are now some 84,000 registered charities in Canada, some with dubious intentions and many with the same cast of directors.

As far as I'm concerned, the venue (with interesting other things to do) and the volunteer staff at the venue are the most important. Their staff or volunteers can act as food providers, gate/admission collectors, marshalls and other important duties. It is difficult to keep a car and its owners/families occupied for a day. It has to be in a place where spectators can come to look.

Corporate sponsors are also important. A small volunteer group should not be exposed to significant losses should the event "flop".

Advertising is also important. People need plenty of notice, and need to be reminded often.

Dumb Luck, Dumb Luck and Dumb Luck: Rain will knock out most attendees. Conflicting events can also knock out attendees. (and there are many conflicting events for old car hobbyists throughout the summer.) Even something as unplanned as a roadblock (e.g. Native), accident or catastrophe can make - or break - an event.

Best of luck!

Paul

Comment

Thank you, Paul, for your willingness to help should an event be decided upon - providing, of course, that Mother Nature, dumb luck, war, pestilence, the Aztec calendar, Al Quida, global warming, sun spots, and our entire political infrastructure, all co-operate, or scre* off as required!
      Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
      61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
      Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
      Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Paul made some great suggestions. One thing I have seen work well is to have a low entry fee, or even free then have the best raffle you can put together along with a 50-50 drawing if those things are allowed in your area. We aren't supposed to call them raffles any more so they have become "opportunity drawings". A good raffle takes effort to get decent prizes, so that is the challenge. Then be very liberal on ticket sales. $1 for one, 6 for $5, Both arms length for $20 etc. Tickets are cheap. Don't just get car related things, get items that are attractive to non-car people so they will by tickets. Have hourly drawings and write numbers on a white board for people to check, so they don't have to gather around to hear their numbers.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
        X